Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #1

Angry Reservation problems

I don't know how to label this thread but this is the nicest way I can think of. We made reserveration at the Leisure Time RV park in Auburn, Ala. about a month ago for our travels to North Carolina. When we arrived we were told that my friends spot was available but mine was not. It seems that some jerk had called the park and secured a spot but when he arrive and went to set up he didn't like it so he took it on himself to move and in doing so he moved to our spot and then set up and when the manager went to have him move he flatly refused. In discussing my options with the manager he couldn't get him to move and refused to have the Sheriff come and have him move. I offered to go and moved him and I started a firestorm with my wife, my friend and the manager of the park. So after much disussion the manager gave us a full refund and free spot for the night. The site we had reserved was a pull-thru but the spot we had to take was a back in and it was short. We have a 44' Motorhome and it was quite a problem pulling in to this tight sight and then hanging out the back and the front and then leveling the coach for the night. This is a first for us as we have been camping since the early 80's and never had this problem. One time I got in the wrong site but when I was told I moved with no fuss. We are from Louisiana and we have never run into anyone around home like this. He was from Louisiana and had a Lifetime Member tag from Good Sam on the back of his trailer. I hope no one ever has the bad fortune to run in to this jerk,putting it mildly.
Harry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Having overnighted in that park a couple of times, there are so few sites that will fit a big rig (along the creek).

I'm honestly not sure how I would have handled it if I'd been the park owner, but I know I would have moved if it had been pointed out we were on the wrong site, and that it had been reserved by another. We had that experience once at Ft Wilderness (Disney World). I was confused by the placement of the site markers and had unintentionally parked one site over. OOPS!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Last year I had the same thing happen at MBTP I sat in the road waiting patiently as the couple who knew they were in the wrong spot packed up and moved.
inspecterbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Here's a thought...

That's a real bummer. We usually camp with at least one other family, so I fully appreciate this situation, though I haven't yet experienced it myself. It's hard to find "buddy-sites" where two RV's can park adjacent to each other and have their doors facing a common picnic area. That's the best! But even just getting two sites next to each other is great, and I'd be pretty darn upset if a campground allowed a rude patron to do that to us. The owner of that establish may need to grow a spine (and some other anatomical parts ) and stand up to blatantly rude and dishonorable customers who steal sites like that.

Here's a thought if it happens again. Do you carry a camera with you? We usually do. I'd approach the camper who stole your spot with my camera in hand, and politely explain the situation. I would also show him your reservation materials that show that you had that site number (I usually have that when I arrive anyway). After telling & showing him/her that you had reserved that space with your buddy who has the adjacent space, if he still doesn't move, I'd start taking pictures. Lots of pictures. Pictures that obviously included his license plate too, and other identifying aspect of his RV.

If he asks why the photos, I'd simply tell him that I plan to post them on several RV websites where others can see his rig, with an explanation of his behaviors. Your intent is not malice, but that at the same time, you believe that a community of RV/campers can help to police themselves by calling out good and bad behaviors of others. Let the guy know that he can log in too and explain why he wouldn't move (and be prepared to show the rest of us a picture of your reservation materials too... hard to refute that).

Since your buddy had the adjacent site.. there's risk here. The rude guy could escalate this to even greater heights, with worse neighborly behaviors still.. But there's also opportunity for more pictures, and if necessary, a call to the local police.

But I would definitely post the pictures with the story. I believe that sometimes bad behavior happens because of the cloak of anonymity. I suspect that some of these people will always be rude, but not all of them. Once people start to realize that (especially with computers & internet & camera phones) their identity may be linked to their behavior, perhaps some of them may decide to change their behavior, since they can't change their identity!

I am no lawyer, but I don't think that there are any laws against this. That doesn't mean someone won't sue you though. People can sue regardless of whether they have solid grounds or not, as long as they find a lawyer willing to take their case (and their money), thus forcing you to buy one too. But I'd probably do it anyway. I don't pick fights, but I try to hold people accountable.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
That's just downright rude. As much as I would want to confront that kind of person, their refusal clearly means they have an attitude best for the owner to deal with. What that rude squatter did may have been against the CG rules, but it was not illegal so calling the Sherriff would have done no good. They would just have said it's a civil matter & left.

I'm glad the owner refunded your money & gave you a site (albeit undersized) for free. That was the least he could do.

It was completely up to the owner to enforce the site occupancy. His CG, his responsibility. If I'd have been that owner, I would've called a tow truck company & had the non-budging occupant physically removed from said campsite. Then billed the bum for the tow charges.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
It would bother me more that the manager would not call Law Enforcement if you had that specific site reserved.

If any camper refuses liked that he/she needs to leave the park entirely.

No matter what, that would be the last time that park saw any of my money.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #7

I have had similar situations, but I tend to avoid confrontations. Animosity and fired-up tudes often make things head down the wrong trail.

The issues were usually peacfully and appologetically resolved. If it did not get resolved through cordial conversation, that is how it ended.

Whether right or wrong, there is always an alternative better than Beavis and Butthead going nose to nose.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the CG owner / manager should have insisted the guy move to another site, whether it was the one he originally was assigned or another unoccupied or unreserved site. I too would have not been happy, but I am also pretty easy going and I am sure I could have found another site that would accommodate my 43" MH. Yes it is nice to be beside your friends, but we all need to be aware that changing situations don't mean its the end of the world. Your original post seems a bit over the top to me. Just my opinion, that you asked for. Did you ever find out if there was a logical reason why the guy wouldn't move or was he just being disrespectful to the owner & you?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #9

We recently set up in a reserved spot. We didn't see the reserved sign. We very agreeably started to pack up and move. The park attendant called on his radio and found out that the folks who reserved it were tent campers. They went to the primitive site and let us have their spot. It worked out great, but we would have moved if we had to.

I hope we never run into your problem. My mouth gets a little loose in situations like this.
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #10

Unacceptable behaviour ... the CG should've had it towed or threatened to have it towed, once he refused to move.

THAT's what reservations are for, in the first place - to prevent this from happening.

This is as much on the CG owner or manager as it is on the person refusing to move, when you showed up.
scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #11

Here's a thought if it happens again. Do you carry a camera with you? We usually do. I'd approach the camper who stole your spot with my camera in hand, and politely explain the situation. I would also show him your reservation materials that show that you had that site number (I usually have that when I arrive anyway). After telling & showing him/her that you had reserved that space with your buddy who has the adjacent space, if he still doesn't move, I'd start taking pictures. Lots of pictures. Pictures that obviously included his license plate too, and other identifying aspect of his RV.

As a person who is generally level headed I can't express how bad of an idea this is. I honestly feel this is stooping to their level by simply becoming a social networking bully. I feel that the fact that if you were already dealing with a very uncooperative person the thought of taking pictures of him and his rig would only escalate the situation to physical violence or worse. If the park manager won't call the police there is nothing wrong with taking matters upon yourself and calling them from your own phone. You still may not get the outcome you desire but this person may think twice about his actions again
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastevee View Post
Unacceptable behaviour ... the CG should've had it towed or threatened to have it towed, once he refused to move.

THAT's what reservations are for, in the first place - to prevent this from happening.

This is as much on the CG owner or manager as it is on the person refusing to move, when you showed up.
Well put!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #13

They know how to take the reservation. They just don't know how to hold the reservation
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #14

Like a thief in the night...flat tires.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote