RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #15

I will not travel with out reservation to a campground, why? After traveling for 300 to 350 miles a day pulling our 5er. I do not want the hassle of finding a campground for that night. We also like our creature comforts like A/C, Hot coffee in the AM, full water usage with hot showers in the morning. So I want a pull thru site, 50 AMP full hook-up site, easy in and easy out, on to the next campground. I will use a back-in site when we get to our final destination but day to day travel it has to be a pull thru.

We our traveling out east this fall and started to reserve our camping sites in APRIL. With one or two of the campgrounds where already full at that time. Where we wanted to stay.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2017, 09:44 AM   #16

We do not travel much in the summer so keep that in mind as I share my thoughts.

The only time I make advance reservations is for what is considered a destination resort. Pensacola Beach RV resort as an example. And even with that, only a week or two in advance. Always have a place reserved for the night when we are traveling. Sometime two or three nights in a row. Example when traveling through West Texas to get to the gulf coast from the west coast.

I agree with the comment above that I do not want to drive around to try to find a place at the end of the day. I like to do research on-line about the places we are staying. Read some reviews etc. It is funny that some of the nicest parks we have encountered are one night stops in between major population centers.

There are other variables to our travel behavior. Sometimes the weather can be a factor in either moving on or staying put for a while. This past spring we stopped in Port Aransas Tx and it was so windy we moved on the next day as the forecast called for continued high winds. Sometimes we will stay in a place longer than we anticipated. If we had made a series of reservations in advance, we would either have to re-jigger everything, or run the risk of maybe losing some deposit money. (95% of RV parks a very good about letting you change dates, but what a hassle to do)

Bottom line, we travel when most people do not, rarely make long term reservations and remain flexible. Being retired is what allows us that luxury. Pretty lucky I guess.

X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote