Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Reservations Required? Colorado in May.

We're hoping to be in SW Colorado around early to mid May through the end of May (then on to Denver)

I don't want to make reservations so I am free to travel around Delores, Durango, Silverton, Telluride, Ouray, Montrose, Gunnison, & Leadville.

Should I or shouldn't I make reservations?

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 08:03 PM   #2

Early to mid-May I think you'll be fine without reservations. It's still fairly early to do any 4-wheeling because of snow so it's not the prime time to be there.

We rarely made reservations and did just fine - anytime. That's a favorite part of the country for us. Enjoy!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:57 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Early to mid-May I think you'll be fine without reservations. It's still fairly early to do any 4-wheeling because of snow so it's not the prime time to be there.

We rarely made reservations and did just fine - anytime. That's a favorite part of the country for us. Enjoy!

Thanks, twogypsies. That's what I was hoping to hear.
Old 11-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #4

We went in July w/o reservations. The online reservations were gone but Junction Creek had walk-ups available even then and it was a prime spot as well. There were several people trying to figure out when we were leaving. I think most of the NP's have them. Also I agree May should be no issue.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 11-08-2016, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
We're hoping to be in SW Colorado around early to mid May through the end of May (then on to Denver)

I don't want to make reservations so I am free to travel around Delores, Durango, Silverton, Telluride, Ouray, Montrose, Gunnison, & Leadville.

Thanks.
That's the "tween" season, 'tween skiing and summer, so it's the least busy time of the year. You may be restricted in possible campgrounds, as some (especially in the mountains) won't be open yet that early. Those that are open shouldn't require reservations except over Memorial Day weekend. I usually try to do my moving during the week to have the best chance of getting a good site.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:39 AM   #6

When you go to Denver, I suggest Chatfield State Park and reservations
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

Thanks.
You will likely need a Snow Shovel more than reservations if you are going up/into the mountains to Camp. But if the weather is Good you will likely find a good number of locals on the weekends in the lower areas.

Check out these Pic's - Colorado Photo Gallery by Stan Parker at pbase.com as Stan has some great Photo's of the area. IMHO the area you are heading is one of the many showcases of Colorado and will deserve a second visit in Late July-August to see the floral High Mountain Beauty shown in San's albums.

We have spent a couple of winters and I love to see the areas when the high passes are snow bound - most are opened around the Memorial Day Weekend - but have had that date be an issue after a heavy snow season.

Just use your head and keep an eye on the weather as above 8,000 feet a big dump is not that rare and that can really play with your plans.

Again IMHO this is a great time to be in the Mountains - Beautiful - Fewer People - and jus plain FUN!

Best of Luck, and let us know after you do the trip how it was.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorado