Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
You're absolutely right Dennis. It's better now than it was years ago but it still goes on. The stories I could tell!

Being aware of what is going on in a particular rest area before settling in for the night is definitely the key.
They don't call them lot lizards for no reason

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #30

We use highway rest areas as often as any parking lot. Yes, some states are down right nasty about it and some have even taken to closing the rest areas altogether (like KY). Then there is Texas where they are making them nicer and even adding WiFi to some. Truck stops tend to be busy and annoying.

Matt

Old 05-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
We use highway rest areas as often as any parking lot. Yes, some states are down right nasty about it and some have even taken to closing the rest areas altogether (like KY). Then there is Texas where they are making them nicer and even adding WiFi to some. Truck stops tend to be busy and annoying.

Matt
There certainly isn't any commonality to rest areas from state to state.

THe welcome center at the TX/LA border is very nice, I have stopped there on every trip to TX for a few hours sleep.

On the way to TX from Ohio I've found several in MS that provide 24 hour security.

KY doesn't seem to have rest areas, you can drive for a couple hours without seeing one. Thankfully I have cruise control so I can turn it on and get up and walk around to get my coffee etc. with out having to get off the interstate.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
KY doesn't seem to have rest areas, you can drive for a couple hours without seeing one. Thankfully I have cruise control so I can turn it on and get up and walk around to get my coffee etc. with out having to get off the interstate.
Ya gotta love cruise. It's almost as handy as that little coffee cup holder that slides out from the right side of my laptop.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler Bing View Post
We even staying at a Walmart in Wisconsin once that had about 8 electric sites. Awesome.

This sounds pretty cool. Tried finding info about it online, no luck. Wonder if there are more out there, what they charge and if they plan on expanding this service??
Old 05-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #34

If you read the signs, you will find that overnight parking in rest areas is "officially" prohibited in most states. However, I've been doing it for almost 20 years and have never been hassled. I once asked a cop who was hanging around and was told that that they never enforce that rule unless the rest area is completely full.

Just don't put out your slides or awning and you won't be bothered.

Joel
Old 05-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #35

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We had a bad experience at a truck stop when we stopped for lunch in our first MH. A truck cut across the front of us and the back of his trailer caught the front of our rig. Once we stopped rocking, we had a busted windshield, a mid-entry door that never opened easily again and a leak behind the driver's side seat that rotted the hardwood floor. The rig was never the same even after numerous trips to the shop....oh and it was a hit and run so we paid for everything! When we stop at rest areas we don't hang around long and we park as far away from the trucks as possible! just sayin....
Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto View Post
We had a bad experience at a truck stop when we stopped for lunch in our first MH. A truck cut across the front of us and the back of his trailer caught the front of our rig. Once we stopped rocking, we had a busted windshield, a mid-entry door that never opened easily again and a leak behind the driver's side seat that rotted the hardwood floor. The rig was never the same even after numerous trips to the shop....oh and it was a hit and run so we paid for everything! When we stop at rest areas we don't hang around long and we park as far away from the trucks as possible! just sayin....
This is not an accident. For some reason SOME truckers hate RVrs. Our dealer ship had numerous "accidents" with truckers. ALL of them were while the drivers were not in the motorhomes. Almost all were knocking the mirror off the motorhome.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #37

Quote:
If you read the signs, you will find that overnight parking in rest areas is "officially" prohibited in most states. However, I've been doing it for almost 20 years and have never been hassled.
So, if you don't get caught it is ok. If you do not get caught it must be ok to use untaxed off road diesel? If they do not get caught it is ok for a poor person from Mexico to cross the border illegally? If you don't get caught it is ok to hire an illegal alien because they will work cheaper? If I do not get caught it is ok to run a red light or drive any speed I want? It's ok to have an illegal LLC or register my vehicles in the wrong state to avoid higher registration fees illegally? If you do not get caught it is ok to triple tow even in states where it is not allowed? I guess I missed the civics lesson that taught you could ignore rules and regulations if you wanted to, unless you get caught or hassled? Does this apply to all rules, or just some? Who decides?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know that it's illegal in most states to over night in a rest area, some states for sure. I only stay overnight where allowed and prefer the ones with security.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Jzick, you appear to be an extremist, which is fine. But most of us aren't and we'll deal with that as we see fit. It is still illegal to spit on the sidewalk. Can't remember in my 61 years anyone getting busted for that.

We have too many laws in the books that shouldn't be in there, and yes, most law enforcement officers agree. Just deal with it and leave the rest of us alone.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
So, if you don't get caught it is ok. If you do not get caught it must be ok to use untaxed off road diesel? If they do not get caught it is ok for a poor person from Mexico to cross the border illegally? If you don't get caught it is ok to hire an illegal alien because they will work cheaper? If I do not get caught it is ok to run a red light or drive any speed I want? It's ok to have an illegal LLC or register my vehicles in the wrong state to avoid higher registration fees illegally? If you do not get caught it is ok to triple tow even in states where it is not allowed? I guess I missed the civics lesson that taught you could ignore rules and regulations if you wanted to, unless you get caught or hassled? Does this apply to all rules, or just some? Who decides?
I thought only politicians take a quote out of context to make a point. It isn't just not getting caught. A cop in the rest area told me that the rule only existed so that they could move people along on the very few occasions that they ran out of space. He said that if they were not full, go ahead and spend the night.

Who decides? Well, when the authorities decide that a rule doesn't need to be enforced, then I feel free to ignore it. When I see a bunch of trucks obviously spending the night, and nobody telling them to move on, then I feel free to ignore the rule too.

When a rule is universally ignored, it ceases to be a rule.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #41

Since we're getting legal/moral here, I'd like to ask a few questions . . . what constitutes "overnight parking" vs. "resting"?

Is it sundown to sunset??

What if I drive to 2 am and get back on the road by 6 am?

I can park all day, picnic, sleep, whatever . . . BUT do the same thing once the sun goes down and I'm breaking the law?

I'm of the belief that when I feel I'm too tired to drive that I should pull over and rest. Personally, I like to drive at night and rest during "rush hours" when making a long trip.

To jzick I'd say, many laws have grey areas . . . you can NEVER park when the sun don't shine (WHITE), you can park across 4 spaces, put out the slides, awning, furniture & grill mid-afternoon and run the generator all night (probably BLACK) or you can rest when your body needs rest and it's unsafe to keep going (GREY). If you choose to be WHITE, more power to you . . . I just hope that you're not in front of me when they leave the construction zone speed limit signs out when there's not any actual construction. I'd like to keep doing 55 - 62 MPH in the right lane and would hate to have to risk getting run over by the traffic to pass you doing 40 MPH.

My only police contact in my RV happened blocks from my house. We live near a town beach with parking allowed for residents only (window sticker on vehicle required). Around the 4th of July they have a street festival and firework show. I set my alarm for 5 am, drove the RV down to the parking lot and took a corner space where I actually only used the dead space and one lined space. I walked back home and went to sleep. Several hours later I returned to the RV to find an officer's business card stuck in the door. While setting up, a couple of officers appeared and asked me to move since "overnight parking" was not allowed. (Apparently, a neighbor had awoken to see my RV and called in a complaint.)

I pointed out to them: I was NOT there all night (I arrived at 5 am), an overnight parking ban is NOT posted (at the lot right across the street MANY locals do park overnight EVERY night because of lack of street parking), I DO have a resident sticker on my windshield AND I intend to leave after the fireworks end and traffic dies down.

They told me to enjoy the day and left!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Some years ago a friend of mine who was a driver for Overnight Express pulled up and parked in front of a 24 hour donut shop at 3 AM. He ran in, got a coffee and a bagel and ran back out. Elapsed time was less than 5 minutes. When he returned to the truck he was confronted by one of the local town cops who informed him that he couldn't park there and instead suggested that next time he park in the nearly empty shopping center lot across the street. While pointing to the company logo on his shirt my friend reminded the officer that there were signs in the lot that said "No Overnight Parking". Luckily the cop had a sense of humor also and told him to, "get out of here".

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote