Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Retiring in February

Well I have finally decided on a retirement date of February 28th. We will be heading out of Michigan on March 1st to Disney World for a week or so then meandering back up along the Atlantic Coast at least as far as Maryland before heading back home.

Anybody have suggestions on what we need to see in Georgia, SC, NC, Virginia and Maryland?

Also any good local places to eat? We tend to avoid the chains when we travel.

We have to be home by May sometime since one of our Granddaughters is getting married in June.

Would love to get some input from the group.

Rfennermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #2

I would recommend Charleston, S.C. , take a horse drawn carriage tour through the city and stop at Bubba Gump's for lunch.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #3

In SE Georgia: Jekyll Island. Just south of the SC NC border there is Pedro's South of the Border right off I-95. There are about 100 billboards advertising it. It's a tourist trap, but it has a decent campground (we stayed there one night a couple of weeks ago) and there is also a very good restaurant at SoftheB called The Peddler Steakhouse. Really good prime rib dinner. In NC: the Outer Banks is awesome. We just stayed there at the Hatteras KOA. Take the wild horse adventure tour out of Duck to see the famous wild horses. In North Georgia: Vogel State Park is really nice. We just completed a two week, 2,400 mile loop of these places a few days ago out of Florida. Fun trip! Enjoy!
Old 09-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I wont jack your thread but I am retiring in Dec. Thirty-three years at a state higher ed is enough..

The DP was my retirement gift to myself. bawaa..
Old 09-27-2016, 04:58 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
My husband and I retired April 15th and then went off to tour the west in our motorhome. You will absolutely love retirement .... take some time in each location, explore, relax and smell the roses. Congratulations! I also suggest Charleston, Cape Canaveral, Savannah, St. Augustine .... Williamsburg ... just way too many places for a couple months. Again ... congrats!
Old 09-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #6

Yep, retirement is AWESOME!!
Old 09-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Just retired this past May, a week later left for Alaska. Just got back 10 days ago....One good thing will be you will be traveling before the "working peoples" vacation period starts.

~ On the way back east of Baltimore how about Skyline Drive thru Shenandoah National Park. We like to camp at the "Big Meadow" campground.

~ I know it's a chain restaurant, but throughout PA. and a few in Maryland called Hoss's Steakhouse. Very well run, friendly servers, very clean, always fresh food, and very reasonably priced.

~ In SE. Ohio you have Hocking Hills State Park. In the near by town there is a nice restaurant called "The Olde Dutch Restaurant" in Logan OH. Lovely broasted chicken.

~ If your going to be driving thru Northern Maryland by way of (I-68), once you enter WV. there is a nice state park called Blackwater Falls State Park. Side note here. Going by way of I-68 is going to save you boat loads of money. The PA. Turnpike is very $$$$ especially if you are pulling a toad. When I tow my two axle travel trailer, they charge me triple the car rate.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:12 AM   #8

I would stop in Savannah and Charleston lot's of history, interesting places and good food - for Charleston, we like the KOA in Mt Pleasant and eating at Pages Okra Grill plus the downtown places - hard to find a bad one.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
WDW

Retiring in February

Tell them to elope- you've got too much to see, too many places to go. There is way too much to see and do to be back before 2019.....

And congrats on both important events!

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #10
cwk

Another vote for St. Augustine, FL. DW and I often took day trips to visit (when we lived about an hour away) and just walk down St. George Street. Lots of little shops and buildings dating back, way, way back. We enjoyed the stained glass windows at Trinity Episcopal Parish church on St. George Street. George Street is foot-traffic only, so makes for a very nice walk through town.

We have not been to Charleston, SC in a while, but have good memories walking through there as well.

We also liked Savannah, just don't visit at Oktoberfest if you don't like huge crowds, crowded restaurants, crowded downtown area, etc. (Way too many rowdy folks with lots of beer flowing.) We made that mistake once, left, and visited Atlanta instead. You will be there in the spring, so Oktoberfest won't be a problem.

Savannah and St. Augustine both have trolley rides through town. I am not sure we ever took the ride in St. Augustine, but the Savannah one was quite good. And, you could get off and on as you liked. If you don't like the running commentary from a particular driver, jump off, look around, and hop on another one. Car parking in Savannah is near impossible anywhere near downtown. Lots of meters and next to no open spots. I ended up circling numerous blocks on one visit waiting for someone to pull out somewhere. It's a good reason to take the trolley. Parking a car in St. Augustine is much easier. There is on-street parking available. We often found some spots a few blocks away from St. George Street. But, that was many years ago. I don't know the current parking rules. There are some public pay lots available.

Savannah is much bigger than St. Augustine. We could not have easily walked everywhere the trolley visited in Savannah. But, we had a car when visiting St. Augustine. We would park at different places with our car for each visit, then walk around. But, the main section just isn't too big for walking. We loved it. We need to go back!

Enjoy!!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get the book Road Food by a couple named Sterns. We have used it in our travels and found we agree with their ratings 98% of the time. No chains just local places thru out the country. a lot of mom and pop restaurants. This couple visits the listed places and rates them. Don't miss Savannah and Charleston. Kennedy space center is not far from Disney.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Congrats! There is so much to see in all the states you are going through. We live in Virginia and I would have to write a book to cover all the historic places here let alone the Atlantic seaboard states. Enjoy your retirement and never again be in a hurry. Smell the roses!
Old 09-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog2you View Post
Congrats! There is so much to see in all the states you are going through. We live in Virginia and I would have to write a book to cover all the historic places here let alone the Atlantic seaboard states. Enjoy your retirement and never again be in a hurry. Smell the roses!

Old 09-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #14
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
Get the book Road Food by a couple named Sterns.
Thanks for the reference.

But wait! There's More!!!

While searching for their book, I found a website: roadfood.com

Now, I cannot tell if it is run by the Sterns. They do give credit to the original 1977 Road Food book, and they have a description of the Sterns' works.

Does anyone know if this belongs to the original authors, or is connected to them?

cwk is offline   Reply With Quote