Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
RFT Federal Tax $8 at Holly, MI KOA

Hi folks,
The DW and I are on a short trip into MI. We have stayed at several KOA's and other campgrounds. On our bills there has been a seperate charge of $8 called an RFT. That's $8 every night of your stay. We checked at the office here in Holly MI KOA and they said it is a Recreational Federal Tax that was added. The lady said nothing about a state tax but Federal tax. They don't know what for and they lowered their rates and simply absorbed the tax. They also said that others are raising their rates to pay the tax. I did some searching on the net but found nothing.

Are any of you travelers getting hit with this TAX. Is it listed on your bill separately or did they raise the price, and just not tell you they have this tax to pay?? Does anybody know anything about this??? Is this another example of the feds reaching into our pockets without us knowing why?? What is the $$$$ being used. Since we can afford to travel maybe somebody thinks we are some of the 1%-er's. If you camp 100 nights a year that's a bunch of tax $$$$$. I'm sure it's not on State or National parks but who knows??

Maybe somebody know someone to call to ask some questions.

TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think it is another way to gouge the customer. I did a search and found nothing. An $8.00 tax per night is pretty steep.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
I think it is another way to gouge the customer. I did a search and found nothing. An $8.00 tax per night is pretty steep.
I have to agree. Google only comes up with this thread and unrelated stuff. Sounds fishy to me.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
we stayed at 3 parks in Mi. this past year and never paid an 8.00 RFT tax.
SMRDNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tax

When you go to the KOA site and make a reservation the RFT does show up as $8 per night. What it is i have no clue.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #6

I live in Michigan and have stayed in private parks all Summer. No $8 tax that I recall.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I stopped at the office a few minutes ago and got more info. The RFT tax has been there but how long they didn't know. Last July 4th week-end the Feds required that they separate the RFT tax from the bill so we would know it was being charged and so they could keep better tabs of the charges.

It is a tax but they didn't know what it was for. It probably made it more known because of KOA being such a large group of private campgrounds. She said that when you go to the KOA sight and make reservations it shows up as a charge. They had an awful time during the 4th weekend explaining to campers because they thought it was a new charge. Since it is a fed tax we have all paid it but since it was a separate charge showing up on the bill we think it's an added charge.

Bottom line is I still don't trust them (The Feds). If it's been around for a time why can't anybody find out anything on the net about it purpose????

TeJay
Old 10-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #8

So, even after you pay the bill you may not know what is in it. Until now.
Sounds familiar.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think it is a tax. Maybe a reservation fee.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #10

Looks to me like KOA specific. I just emailed them asking for an explanation.

Will post when I find out.

GL Arnold
Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post

Bottom line is I still don't trust them (The Feds). If it's been around for a time why can't anybody find out anything on the net about it purpose????

TeJay
I don't trust them either.... but I'm referring to KOA.

Never heard of such a charge and $8/night seems ridiculously high to me.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're staying at a RV park next to Disneyland for six days.

There is a 15% "Lodging Tax"....$50.40 and a 2% "Tourism Improvement District Assessment".....$6.72 on the bill.

I'd be curious to know where the KOA says they send their RFT check to. In California all sales taxes are sent to the Board of Equalization who you can call and get a straight answer.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
We're staying at a RV park next to Disneyland for six days.

There is a 15% "Lodging Tax"....$50.40 and a 2% "Tourism Improvement District Assessment".....$6.72 on the bill.

I'd be curious to know where the KOA says they send their RFT check to. In California all sales taxes are sent to the Board of Equalization who you can call and get a straight answer.
We've seen a lot of state/local taxes like this too but the OP says it's a Federal Tax.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it really is a federal tax it should show up in RV parks all over the country and I have never seen it anywhere.
I never stay in KOAs (Keep On Adding charges).