Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2006, 12:56 AM   #1

We are taking a 2 week trip and plan to spend about 5 nights at Ridgway SP near Ouray, CO Sept 26-30. We have a popup, prefer an electric hookup for this time of year and easy lake access for our canoe. Which CG and spots do you recommend? What attractions, restaurants, sights do you also recommend. We have heard plenty about Ouray and are willing to drive there once or twice, but are mostly interested in the best campsite and fishing, as well as other activities near the Park.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

A bad day camping is better than a good day at work.
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2006, 12:56 AM   #2

We are taking a 2 week trip and plan to spend about 5 nights at Ridgway SP near Ouray, CO Sept 26-30. We have a popup, prefer an electric hookup for this time of year and easy lake access for our canoe. Which CG and spots do you recommend? What attractions, restaurants, sights do you also recommend. We have heard plenty about Ouray and are willing to drive there once or twice, but are mostly interested in the best campsite and fishing, as well as other activities near the Park.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Old 09-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #3

We stayed there one night many years ago, as I recall it was OK, but no shade and some wind. After one night we moved to a RV park on the north end of Ouray, don't remember the name, but it was on the river side of the hwy, everything there was painted John Deere green and yellow. Little log cabin type office, with a jillion mini Deere tractors, etc. An on site hamburger stand too. Free firewood and popcorn.

In Ridgeway make sure to visit the True Grit cafe, and the "park" right across the street. Some of the move was filmed there. If you have a 4wd, or just a lot of guts, there are some great mtn roads to prowl in the area.

If you are into clothing optional soaking, Orvis Hot Springs, south of Ridgeway, is supposed to be nice (couldn't talk my wife into it)...
Old 09-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the information OBG. I will check out those places. True Grit is one of my all time favs cause I saw it just before moving to Colorado and it really got me excited.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #5

Ridgeway SP is very nice, you will like it. There are three sections to the CG. Dutch Charley is closest to the lake. PaCoChuPuk (we stayed in site 257 ) is closest to the great fly-fishing portion of the Uncompagrey(?) river. For sightseeing-- Ouray,Telluride(do go if time allows),not much happening in Ridgeway town. Hope this helps--Enjoy, Art
arthurval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:05 PM   #6

A friend who lives in Montrose and works in Telluride just told me that she got snowed on last night. Might be a short spring...
Old 09-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OldBaldGuy:
A friend who lives in Montrose and works in Telluride just told me that she got snowed on last night. Might be a short spring... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and an even shorter fall!

Old 10-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #8

That too. I also don't remember what I had for breakfast...