Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
Rincon Parkway, Ventura California

Kind of odd that I can't reply to existing threads because they are "old" so here we go with a new one of the same title...

I'm looking here for my first trip in my TT and it looks like I can go out for a night on September 5th, Labor Day! I could leave Saturday the 4th in the evening but chances are NO ONE is leaving the night before labor day, right? If I showed up Monday morning and the place is packed, do people just sit there any idle for an hour or two with the hopes that someone leaves? Are there any other RV campgrounds near by that people go to when Rincon Parkway is too packed?

Also curious if all the sites there are the same size of you just take as much room as you want/need? Does everyone with a TT disconnect and park the truck somewhere else?

Curb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
There is also days spots available for free at the rincon but you must adhere to the times. You also have Hobson and Fraia beach which work on a first come basis. Emmawood closer to Ventura is working on reservations for the holiday weekend as we inquired there last weekend.

07 Newmar Canyon Star 3410 - 34' 11 FT WH W22 Chassis 8.1L 70K,
AussieRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
So, last question first - the spaces are marked and they are all the same size at Rincon. I have stayed there a couple of times in the off season and love the location. I personally like where there is no concrete sea wall as you get a better view and can get down to the beach. The flip side is, you get twice the width if you have a spot by the sea wall, so there is a trade off. My trailer is 35ft from bumper to tongue and I was able to park my truck in front between me and the neighbor in front of me. I have seen people park their trailer diagonally in the space as well and park in the space near one of the corners of the space. If you get one of the large spaces near the concrete sea wall, you could easily do this. I thought it blocked others views a little when you park like this, but you have to do what you have to do.

You can sit down the road and home someone is leaving, but good luck with that. During any good weather and weekends, it could and most likely will be hard to get a spot. I have heard that some people will go up mid week and leave their trailer in a spot. I hate that idea as you are just blocking others from staying. There is no law against it, so I don't see anyone figuring out how to change it unless the system changes to reservations. Same thing can happen with the reservation system too, so there is no fool proof way to fix the issue.

Personally, I live in Arizona so I make reservations for the beach all the time. Rarely am I able to just drive by and see if there is a spot at Rincon. There have been a couple of times I was able to do that. One time, we were headed back south and saw spots at Rincon but wanted to see if there were spots at Bolsa Chica and passed by. There were no spots at Bolsa and we regretted not stopping at Rincon. We ended up staying at Newport Dunes and paid $130 for one night until we could move the next day to Huntington By-The-Sea RV Park for a couple of days. We would have just stayed at Rincon for a few days and saved a ton of money, but Rincon and Bolsa are pretty far apart and backtracking wasn't an option.

Now, what we do is make reservations at Emma Wood on our way north or south. We really like Emma Wood, but it is dry camping and no dump station. If they don't have a spot, you can go north to Carpinteria State Beach, but they can get full on weekends too. They are pretty big, so you might get lucky. Nearby Emma Wood is Ventura Beach RV Resort. I have not stayed there as they are not on the beach and it cost too much in my opinion, but it is an option for the area. Like the other person said, you can also try Faria and Hobson, but for a weekend you will have the same issue as Rincon. Farther north is El Capitan State Beach. I have it on my list of places to go, but have not stayed there yet. Across the freeway is Ocean Mesa RV and Campground. Personally, it is on the other side of the freeway from the beach and costs too much for what you get - I have not stayed there and don't plan on staying there in the future. Just past there heading north is Refugio State Beach. I have it on my list of places to stay, but haven't made it there yet. They had a major oil spill last time we thought about it. Farther north is Gaviota Beach. I have not stayed there so I can't give you many details except it has a railroad trellis directly between the campground and the beach.

Now, if you want to stay at my favorite place so far, keep heading north and stop at Jalama Beach County Park. You will have to search for reservations, but they do have some walk up only spots too. There can be a bunch of wind. We stayed there for a week last summer at the end of July and the weather was perfect, but it is known for really high winds.

I can point out places north or south of Rincon if you need. South and you will have even more people and north it will get easier until you hit Pismo for weekends. Then past Pismo there are some great locations. Just depends on how far you want to drive.
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS
Nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
Have stayed on the Rincon several times, as well as Faria, and know the area very well. The Rincon parkway has 127 sites and is run through Ventura County Parks. There are pay stations on the parkway. It was $28 per night early in the year. It is a first come, first served area, check in and check out is on a 24 hours basis. So everyone is not leaving at 10am. If you arrive at 3pm, your checkout time is 3pm. So people literally come and go all day. Forget getting a spot Friday, Sat. Weekenders do come in for a short visits so Mondays often present open spots. There is a fantastic day use are about 4 miles to the south where you can park on the PCH free all day with a million dollar view. I think the times are 6am to dark. You can also park within Ventura on the streets for 24 hours without issues.

Ventura Beach RV Park is just east of the 101. We stayed one night after a stint at Rincon to empty tanks and do a little laundry, but we paid $80 for a night. Not cheap but a very clean park. Cheaper the closer to 101 you get.

Both Faria Beach Park and Hobson Park are available for reservations through the Ventura County Park website. We stayed at Faria in a full hookup site last November for $50 per night. Back of the coach was practically over the water. Nice sites but narrow. Great little grub hut on the property.

Have never stayed at Emma Woods nor Carpenteria State Park, but they are tough to reserve, expensive IMO and minimal services. Would rather stay on the Rincon.

Whatever you do, enjoy the Ventura - Santa Barbara area. It is our favorite area in the entire state of California!
Bill and Debb---2010 CT Coachworks Siena 35V
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport---Roadmaster Falcon 5250 -
1 Cavalon (Scooby)
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #5
Just as an FYI, Emma Wood runs on reservations from May 15 to September 15 only. Then it is first come first serve and only busy for holidays like Thanksgiving and New Year's. If you come in during the week after September 15 it's easy to get a spot, site 5 is the best spot, wide enough for 2 rv's. No amenities but you can dump over at McGrath State Beach, IF it's open
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
Just at Faria over the weekend, First come first served basis along with the others, except Emmawood for the holiday. County of Ventura - Faria Beach Park

07 Newmar Canyon Star 3410 - 34' 11 FT WH W22 Chassis 8.1L 70K,
AussieRv is offline   Reply With Quote

california, vent