Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question Rio Grande Valley Recommendations.

We are about to make plans for the winter and are primarily looking at the RVG. We have had a couple recommendations for Winter Ranch in Alamo (1 of 7 Wilder Corp resorts) and so far we don't see anything that makes it not work but it doesn't make us jump up for joy either. Of course, that could be very much related to the anxiety of starting a new chapter in our lives and the normal jitters. I suppose the biggest concern we have is the confined pet area it has and how boring it will be for 3-4 months to only walk them in a city landscape. We are currently very spoiled on our home base CG for that.

So...

We are looking for more suggestions in the area between McAllen to San Benito (Hwy 83 corridor) give or take a few miles in any direction. We don't want to be close to the gulf coast because of salt air.

What we are looking for in amenities are:

1. Pet friendly.
2. Reasonably close to shopping.
3. Room to walk 2 big dogs without always being on roads. Close to a park is great.
4. Not too close to busy highways to minimize noise. (Judgment call on that)
5. $600 or less a month. I'm not into golf so much and don't want to pay for that feature.
6. Reasonable access to roads and trails for bicycle riding. I like to do 20-30 miles a day.

Currently Sandee and I are not much into group activities. The social scene talked about in many sites is not a prime interest for us at this time. The closest for me is a bike club like one at Winter Ranch. We aren't anti-social but just not socialites either.

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have chosen Winter Ranch. Will be there from about December 15 thru April 15. Looking forward to the challenges.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #3

Go to green gate grove website many rv sites for rent mission texas gated 55 and over park or try vals rv park mission texas we love both have a place in green gate grove.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #4

Try the Ranchero village they have a nice cg and everything you are looking for! We live there in a mobile home and love it!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btswrkn6 View Post
Try the Ranchero village they have a nice cg and everything you are looking for! We live there in a mobile home and love it!
Nice looking park but problem is they only allow 1 small pet less than 20#. My 2 GSDs are not welcome.

Appreciate the recommendation still.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btswrkn6 View Post
I've committed to Winter Ranch but I will certainly put this on my exploration list for future considerations. TY!
Old 08-02-2013, 12:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss
We have chosen Winter Ranch. Will be there from about December 15 thru April 15. Looking forward to the challenges.
Well now I'm confused.

After following your preparations to launch into a full time RV "adventure"...,...new fancy tag axle +40' diesel pushing home...new 4down toad....GPS, TPMS, AGM's, AF-1, etc and now you're planning to drive all this sophistication and park-it for 4 months! Hug! If you just wanted to drive to Texas & hang-out you could have saved a bundle & just rented a park model for the season.

I was counting on you to "boldly go" ....where no one has gone before! Just curious....why are you not spending your first winter exploring a variety of new places and new adventures? What happened to.....the journey is the destination....the freedom of open road? How will you ever experience the joy of having a $5000 part explode at 4:30pm on the Friday of a long weekend in town 300 miles from a major city? Before long I'll be reading your posts of ....."what should we do to avoid developing flat spots in or tires?"

Cheeeeez! Blow some $$$$ on $5.00 p/gallon diesel for heavens sake!
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Well now I'm confused....
Don't be confused my friend. LOL

I think your commentary was a but "rough" but so are a lot of your comments. Never the less, I have always listened to what you have put out there. Some of your "brisk" commentary on my threads has been a bit harsh but I've tried to see how your opinions fit into our quest for finding what Sandee & I can be happy with. I took to heart a lot of what you have said and haven't regretted it. The same goes for many others that have suffered my never ending, tedious approach to gathering information. I thank you as well as all the other folks for the time taken to provide council.

Now as to how our choice pertains to what Sandee & I plan to do for 4 months in the RGV...

1. I have a great lead on a couple highly regarded Dentists in Reynosa, MX. I have a fair amount I need done and I want to be based close to that area.

2. Winter ranch is offering a free month for a 3 month reservation for first time Wilder Corporation customers. That combined with some favorable rates in the first place makes the RGV attractive as a base of operations during the winter months.

3. I'm a bit more adventurous than Sandee. Sandee has done a MARVELOUS job at adjusting in 18 months from S&B only to MH only living. There are still some things we need to learn to feel comfortable not having such a base to work out of as we move into retirement. While we have poured over the information on the true costs of our "adventure", we want to be fiscally conservative in the first year or so until we get a real handle on it all.

4. I don't intend to let my tires get square. LOL Even now in our current CG that we have lived in for nearly 3 months we pick up and go places. Granted, when we do leave our current CG they refund money back to me if they rent our slot when we are gone but we don't factor that in our budget. I currently pay $350/mo here and in the RGV it would be $360/mo so we keep some stability in the process. In the 3 months we have been here, we have been gone nearly 1 month anyway.

So we hope to gain further confidence in "the journey" and perhaps let go entirely of a "base camp" 12 months a year. For now, we look forward to our first winter in a warm place when compared to central Illinois standards.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss

I think your commentary was a but "rough" but so are a lot of your comments.
Apologies .....just thought you were off to see America? Enjoy the chile relleno in MX.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Don't know what's wrong in going South for the Winter....the question is where you headed next Spring? Don't know about you, but we have way too many choices right now. But all of it is West of the Mississippi and there is some elevation involved. But we too will be in South Texas Winter 2014-15.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote