Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 PM   #1

Road report on FL to AZ trip

Just an update on some roads we traveled on our way to Grand Canyon. By far the roughest road was I-20 in Jackson MS and Shreveport LA. Road construction is causing delays on I-40 west bound between Flagstaff and Williams. Mountains were not a problem for this flatlander.
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
I-20 west from Jackson to Vicksburg and I-55 north and south from Jackson have been roller coasters almost since the day they were completed.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Subscribing to this thread as we're planning the same trip in the spring (Tampa to GC and on to Yellowstone and then back to Tampa). Interested in hearing about your trip and your adventures on the road. Safe travels to you.
TinCanTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanTee View Post
Subscribing to this thread as we're planning the same trip in the spring (Tampa to GC and on to Yellowstone and then back to Tampa). Interested in hearing about your trip and your adventures on the road. Safe travels to you.
TinCanTee. Its a long drive. We live in N FL so you have even farther. We stayed at Roosevelt State Park in MS for 3 nights. Great place. Also stayed at Tyler SP in Tyler TX. Pretty nice. Stayed at Amarillo Ranch in Amarillo TX. Basically a gravel parking lot but everything worked. Stayed at American RV Park in Albuquerque. Nice park. Spend some time in Albuquerque if you can. Don't miss Trailer Village in Grand Canyon Park. Ride around the Park late in the evening and see the elk and mule deer
Old 07-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #5

Make your reservation now for Trailer Village. If you can't get in keep trying even after you get here. They have cancellations almost every day. I have scouted most of the other parks around Williams/Flagstaff so contact me if you need info
Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #6

Yes, gthunts, we have made ressies at Trailer Village and now trying to decide between Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone or staying in the town of West Yellowstone. If you don't mind me pestering you, did you have ressies all along your route or did you just wing it? This is my first long trip with so much time and distance on the road. We do plan on having a couple of nights ressies at Conchas Lake SP in NM.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:42 PM   #7

We made resides mainly because we were travelling around July 4. We actually arrived at Grand Canyon on July10 and have been in the area since then. We had 6 nights here without ressies so we could have some flexibility but ended up not being able to get in at Circle Pines KOA so had to settle for Canyon Gateway for a few nights until our ressies at Canyon Railway start on the 19th. Don't recommend Canyon Gateway. They are building a new Love's Truck Stop right next door. We are staying in the area to meet up with our daughter or we would have left earlier. Honestly if you are just here for the Canyon you should have it covered in a few days at Trailer Village. I liked having ressies along the route because it gave me a destination to shoot for and the confidence to know I had a spot when I got there. You are not bugging me at all. I hope I can be of some help
Old 07-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #8

I will pick you for Yellowstone info when you are done. That's on our list for another trip
Old 07-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
finished similar, stayed at the railway canyon very nice well run place, did the s rim from there.

then went to N Rim, stayed at Jacob lake state park, then N to Baurs RV in Glendale Ut did both Zion & Bryce from that base point.

Now at the Gran Tetons, staying at Gros Ventre, fantastic place wakeup looking at the Tetons 350 sites always room.

50 miles to Yellowstone all scenic with wildlife, so we are doing both the Tetons & YS from this base point. Staying at least 2 weeks, 10 minutes to Jackson hole, great town plenty to do
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #10

Thanks GTHunts and Jimbo for valuable info. I feel the same way about ressies on the road, giving me a "target" for the day. So far, I've plotted a route as far as Yellowstone in legs of about 300 miles per day. Now, I'm looking at campsites at each stop as I don't really like the idea of WM parking lots. We will not have a toad, so that affects where we stop and where we spend time. Plan on using the shuttle service in GC and renting a car at Yellowstone. Thinking of spending a couple of nights in town and a couple of nights at Fishing Bridge. After Yellowstone, thinking of Mt Rushmore area and after that have no idea. I've done a similiar trip before years and years ago in an auto but this is a first time effort in a RV. I'm thinking I might blog the trip for my own documentation of the trip and for anyone else that might be interested. Still have lots of time before starting out but I'm a retired accountant...I make spreadsheets for everything !
Old 07-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #11

I will be paying attention to this thread also. I am researching a trip in September/October of next year to coincide with the Alburquerque Balloon Festival. I plan on taking the southern I-10 route instead of the I-20 route.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:08 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
you are right about the HORRIBLE roads along 20 - LEFT the road at 55 one time.

The Balloon Festival !!!!!!!!!!!!! was wonderful
Carlsbad was STUNNING ! touristy, but still something.
The tours of all the volcanic peaks along the southern NM border was stunning !
Waking up IN the Grand Canyon in August to a quiet rv without the ac's on that was 45 degrees from the nite time temps !

Great memories - thanks for bringing that memory back up !

On our last trip from dfw to Savannah, we used this site for our pre-planning and printed it out with optional rv parks about 2 hours on either side of where we THOUGHT we would be...

We didn't make reservations on the way there and back if they were just for 'rest stops', would just call ahead to one of the parks about noon...
but if we wanted to linger, we would do more research with google maps, etc. to 'see' the surroundings... put all our sites in campgroundreviews.com
Old 07-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #13

Reubenray
I saw all the ads for the Balloon Fest. Looks like fun. I would definitely take the I-10 route if it works for you. We really wanted to camp at Roosevelt SP in MS or I would have bypassed I-20. We really enjoyed our 3 day stop in Albuquerque. Safe travels to you