Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #1

Went to Bayou Segnette south of New Orleans last weekend...I-10 east of the city for 40 miles will beat your coach to death....I had to slow to 45 and still was banging all over the place, developing new rattles and squeaks...there just wasnt a good lane to be in...bad enough to not want to take the coach anywhere near New Orleans again...the cg was just ok...NO patios at all, justs uneven grass/mud...the up side was a zillion big brown rabbits ...

footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #2

Went to Bayou Segnette south of New Orleans last weekend...I-10 east of the city for 40 miles will beat your coach to death....I had to slow to 45 and still was banging all over the place, developing new rattles and squeaks...there just wasnt a good lane to be in...bad enough to not want to take the coach anywhere near New Orleans again...the cg was just ok...NO patios at all, justs uneven grass/mud...the up side was a zillion big brown rabbits ...

Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Larry, are they working on the road or is it just bad road?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #4

unfortunately it's just the way it is ....NO construction, except the new bridge under way over Ponchartrain, but that is just a visual at this point....
Old 05-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Doesn't make sense. They've done a pretty good job getting I-10 fixed in western Louisiana. One would think the main feeder road into New Orleans would have top priority.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I10, East of New Orleans has been a bad road for 30 years. I try it every 10 years and it remains bad. Larry is correct. It will beat the coach to death. If your coach is under warranty, one may want to try it. After warranty, I'll go up to I20 and head back South again once I'm in Texas.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:19 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Am I OK going as far as Slidell? I've scheduled and club rally there at the New Orleans East Kampground in July.

Kind of reminds me of a book rep I had when I was still teaching. Said he went to the FloraBama lounge about once every year to remind himself of why he didn't go there.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #8

Slidell is part of the mess...it runs from downtown 40 miles east ...almost to the I-10 I-12 junction...just go REAL slow...I would recommend 45 max!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #9

Perhaps they aren't repairing the highway because geologists and scientists say that in 80 years New Orleans will be surrounded by 20 miles of Gulf of Mexico.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jim,
For me, I10 Westbound from the Florida border to Beaumont, Texas is a bad road. It is an overall bad road. There are parts that are okay. There are parts where 45 MPH is too fast, for a coach. The last time I was on the road was 1Q 2006.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:48 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello Gary,

We run I-12 from Slidell to Baton Rouge. It is good road. I-10 from MS/LA line to I-12, couple of miles, is bad. I guess that what it is like going on towards New Orleans. Our club will be staying at New Orleans East Kampground on LA 433 about 5 miles south of the I-10/I-12 intersection. We can live with that.

In Baton Rouge I-10 is OK. You're not going to be traveling fast through there anyway. Except for 2 10-15 miles stretches, one a little west of the Atchafalaya Swamp Freeway and the other around Lake Charles, Louisiana has gotten I-10 from Baton Rouge to Texas is in pretty good shape. I-10 is under construction almost all the way from TX/LA to Beaumont. In our first trip out to San Antonio to see the sons in July 2006 I-10 west of Baton Rouge was unbelievable. We routed north on US 190 from Beaumont to Baton Rouge to avoid it on the return trip. Our last trip out, 12/08, it was as described above.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
If you guys think that is bad road, come on up to the Northeast part of the country.
we were in Bayou signette this past April. They have done a great job putting it back together after losing all their trees and sites to the huricanes, give it some time. I 10 was not that bad on the west side of the state. We loved LA and will go back again soon.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:14 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If you guys think that is bad road, come on up to the Northeast part of the country </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the roads in Florida were bad, then I went to Kentucky. I thought the roads in Kentucky were bad, then I went to Ohio.

Maybe my memory is slipping just a tad, tad, tad, but last time I was there, the roads in New England, New York & Pennsylvania were in very good shape.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:29 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I beginning to think all the roads in LA are horrible. I49 will bounce you as bad as I10 and I20 from about 30 miles from Shreveport and through Shreveport is the absolute worst. Take the I220 bypass.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote