Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rocky Mountain national park?

We're spending 3 days in rocky mountain national park area in july, and looking for advice on the best way to do it.

We'll be driving a big ford gasser class a, towing a jeep, and coming up from colorado springs.
Next stop after rocky mountain is jackson wy. so we're coming in from the southeast and leaving to the northwest.

We're looking at elk creek campround, a highly rated facility on the west side of the park, but I'm really concerned about getting in and out...
I don't think driving our rig thru the park on rt 34 is a good idea at all, I don't have a death wish, and don't want to spend 2 days pulling uphill at 30 mph.

Can we go in the back way, off interstate 70 and leave going north up 125 the back way too?

Or is it a better iidea to stay in estes or longmont or somewhere on the east side?
Any specific campground recommendations in that area?

Thanks.
Jim
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
First off, I am jealous, that sounds like a wonderful trip!

I think you can take 9 North from Silverthorne up to Kremmling and 40 over to 34 to get in the back way. I don't know which route will be easier from the Springs, 25 north to Denver and 70 west or going uphill into the high country directly from the Springs on 24 and then North on 9. I know their is Hoosier pass between Alma and Breckenridge but I think it's fairly tame (but check). Much of the drive on this back route is in the flat lands with tremendous views. It might be worth considering.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Andy.
Anyone else ever been in and out of Rocky Mountain Nat'l park?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi JimM68,
I've been to RMNP several times, in gas and diesel power coaches. I have approached from both the east and the west. Neither climb was bad. I never held up traffic. The route through the park provides all passengers one great view after another.

I've never stayed in the park. Always stayed at private CGs outside the park.

If one is physically able, there are many sights to see. Altitude is also a consideration (at least for me). It takes me a few days to adjust to the altitude so I can enjoy hiking.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:52 PM   #5

I don't have any suggestions but, I wish I was going with you. When we lived in Colorado we used to spend a lot of time in RMNP. Have a great trip.
tmbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
thanks guys.
34 thru the park is gonnja be ok in a big gasser towing? On the map that road looks a lot like beartooth pass north of yellowstone, and no way would I do that in the bus, not a chance.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi JimM,
Like I said in my previous post, I've done the route in gas and diesel coaches. The quality of the road is excellent. The turns are gentle. Traffic inside RMNP is so slow (around 30 MPH) you will just join the line. Do you really think your coach will have difficulty at 25-35 MPH? Gut feel says no. Take the route that allows you to feel the most comfortable. The bottom line there should be no problem with either route you are considering.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
ok, I'm gonna call this done for now then. Going to reserve 3 nights at Elk Creek Campground, Grand LAke Colorado. Not sure what route I'll take yet, but should be ok regardless. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #9

I'd recommend this camp ground.

Facility Details - Recreation.gov, Stillwater (Colorado) (CO) - Recreation.gov
TroutScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
haha, thanks troutscout, and that does look really nice, but... with a wife, 13 yo girl, and 12 and 10 yo boys, and 3 days, we need full hookups. That crew would have the water tank sucked dry and the shower base sloshing onto the floor before dark on the second day!!!
Elk Creek Camp - RV Site Information
Old 05-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #11

I live south of Denver but have been to RMN Park countless times. I'd suggest the Blue Arrow Camp Ground in Estes. Close to the park and the town of Estes Park too... great place, lots of room, easy in-out. I would also suggest coming up I-25 to Hwy 36 to Boulder then Lyons then Estes. there's no hwy problems with that. Coming in from the west is going to be a chore and any of non I-70 mountain passes are challenging. let me know if you have other questions.
Jeeperdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The road from I-70 thru Empire (hiway 40) is a pretty good climb up to the summit with lots of switchbacks. Might be better to go on up to Silverthorne and take highway 9 thru Kremmling. A little longer but more casual. Your choice for staying in Grand Lake area is good. Most campgrounds in the Park are tight for a big rig. We used to have a place in Fraser and toured the area a lot. Great hiking in the Park, and lots to see. Have fun.
Alleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #13

Jim,

If you're staying at Elk Creek in Grand Lake, then going to Jackson, WY, I'd suggest that when you leave Grand Lake you travel west on US 40, through Kremmling, Steamboat Springs, Hayden, and Craig, CO. Go north on CO 13/WY 789, out of Craig, through Baggs, WY to I-80, then west on I -80 to Rock Springs, then north on WY 191 to Jackson.

Lots of large RVs and trucks travel this route. Just go slow (50 mph speed limit) coming down (7%) Rabbit Ears Pass into Steamboat.

Gas-up in Grand Lake, at City Market, they'll have the best price from there to Baggs.
TroutScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeperdon View Post
I live south of Denver but have been to RMN Park countless times. I'd suggest the Blue Arrow Camp Ground in Estes. Close to the park and the town of Estes Park too... great place, lots of room, easy in-out. I would also suggest coming up I-25 to Hwy 36 to Boulder then Lyons then Estes. there's no hwy problems with that. Coming in from the west is going to be a chore and any of non I-70 mountain passes are challenging. let me know if you have other questions.
I would like to find someplace nice to stay in the estes park area, would keep me on the interstates with the MH and take the toad into the park but...
You say you live in the area?
According to the internet, Blue Arrow became elk meadow more than 5 years ago, and the reviews on elk meadow are simply awful.

Back to the drawing board... As nice as the grand lake area looks, getting in and out of there is the bus is gonna be tough.