Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #1

Rocky Mountain National Park questions.

We are looking at stopping by RMNP on the way back to Oregon. Passing through the area first part of April. We would like to stay at Moraine Campground.

Does anyone have any experience with this park during the first part of April? The website says that there is first come first served camping, will the spots accommodate a 33 foot travel trailer with slide?

Any advice or suggestions would be helpful.

ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #2

Camping doesn't begin inside the park until May 24 but the park will be open. It will still be cold and sometimes snowy in April. Check the RV parks in Estes Park for their opening times. Yes, when the campgrounds are open there would be room in several for your RV size.

https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/camping.htm

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:33 AM   #3

Shouldn't be a problem with your trailer, seems like there are quite a few sites that will accommodate up to 40'.
We haven't ever been in April, so not sure if it will be busy at all. If I recall correctly, Moraine is the only one open that time of year.

Enjoy the snow covered peaks. It should be beautiful that time of year.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Remember that April is the snowiest month of the year on the front range.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
We stayed at Winding River resort right outside the park with full hookup on the western side in grand lake and I'd highly recommend it. I think it would be easier to get in there than in the park especially if it's snowing.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #6

I would not mind a snow in during April. I was stationed just down the road at Fort Carson in 00's and know how unpredictable the weather can be.

I read on the NPS.gov website concerning Moraine Lake Campground, "In the winter season, 64 sites are open and first-come, first-served only." Has anyone camped with their RV during the winter season? I did see some snow campers in tents pictures, but those days are long over and prefer my bed. Lol
Old 03-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #7

Why not call the park directly to see what their take is? I thought the winter camping is for tents, not RVs - skiers/snowshoers.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I second twogypsies recommendation to call the park. We were at Morraine in October last fall (not camping, just sightseeing), just before they closed the rest of the seasonal roads (Trail Ridge was already closed). There were a few spots in Morraine that could accommodate our 30’ trailer, but not very many. The vast majority are tent or short TT or van sites. I would have another campground identified as backup. We were staying at Boyd Lake State Park in Loveland. Lots of sites available.
UTTransplant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:34 PM   #9

Besides the previous posts on length and availability, another factor to consider is that Trail Ridge Road doesn’t open until late May, usually around Memorial Day. That means after you leave RMNP you’re backtracking east to I-25 and north to I-80 or south to Denver and I-70. There’s no other way to go west when TR is closed.
Chrisk153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #10

Out of fear of informing everyone I am hesitant to close out this post, but after talking with the Ranger, I was told that they do have spots and yes they are RV without hook ups. Don't go telling everybody till I pass through ,lol. As with all my prior planning I have several back ups to go to in case we are unable to camp there. My greatest regret is that I left my snowshoes in Oregon.

Chris, was already planning on having to back track, which is fine since Wyoming is our next destination. I wished we were able to travel west from there but travel plans and weather are not our allies this trip. I blame my Darling who waned to head North so soon, I was enjoying being a winter Texan.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #11

You’ve no doubt researched this, but US-287 is a nice drive from Fort Collins to Laramie.

Chrisk153 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national