Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Thor Owners Club
Route advice I-25 Billings to Albuquerque

I'm certain the answer is somewhere on the internet, but I can't find it. I'd appreciate hearing from someone who's traveled the I-25 southbound through Denver in a bigger unit (we drive a class A) what the conditions might be like in March. As in, is it mountain driving or free-way driving, and are we likely to encounter freezing and high wind? Would you drive it again? Thank you.

Gary & Jeannette
2014 Palazzo 33.2 "Emma"
2012 Hyundai Accent SE "Blackie"
NettieRegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
I25 from the Wyoming border through Colorado (and on to Albuquerque) is mostly flat, that is, no mountains, and yes, it's freeway driving. As to weather, well, you may encounter snow storms at any time in the month of March, which is one of the snowiest months in Colorado. Below freezing temps come along with that. The drive is pretty uneventful otherwise, paralleling the Rockies all the way.

Joe and Debbie, Emma the Aussie Cattle Dog who adopted us
2012 Discovery 36J, Blue Ox and Air Force One, 2010 GMC Acadia Toad
USAF (Ret) WDM http://wd0m.com
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Smile I25 thru Colo.

I have driven a 'big' rig thru Colo south as far as Raton, NM with no problem.

Would strongly recommend trying to go thru Denver / Colorado Springs non - rush hour.

I came thru Denver (I25) about noonish last year with no problem - realizing that there is a lot of traffic and there will be major slowing of traffic - Did not have to come to complete stop at all.

You will have a mountain pass at Raton, going into New Mexico - I drove it last Mar with no problem - but it is 'mountain' driving but not like the big - steep bad boys - but still enough that you need to 'mind' your gears.

After Raton, will gentle out out with some hills and curves - but good otherwise.

Have a good trip.
2003 monaco exec with 500 cummins and allison 4000 trany.
lbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #4
Master of Disaster

The weather at that time can be highly variable. Big blizzards can easily hit without a lot of warning... and coupled with the fact that between Casper and Fort Collins, you are effectively going during the Wyoming Wind Festival (which runs every year from January to December ) it can get ugly.

That said, lots of days go by where the skies are clear and sharp and you can quite literally see for 150 miles.

So the short answer is...it is critical to be checking the weather constantly. And be prepared to just hunker down for 3-4 days. You don't want to be out on slick roads with a 50mph wind trying to push you off the road!

Denver downtown traffic can be bypassed by taking the E-470; they will mail you a bill for the tolls (it's probably 15-30 dollars depending on the number of axles you have) and it's certainly better than fighting through downtown.

Fuel is generally cheaper in Wyoming than Colorado so you probably want to top off in Cheyenne just south of the 80 at exit 7.

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #5
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Here is the CDOT website, it will be your best friend if you plan on traveling anywhere in Colorado during March:

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 AM   #6
Thor Owners Club
Thanks so much for the above answers. Now instead of guessing and hoping I feel somewhat more knowledgeable about the route. Much appreciated. Safe travels everyone.
Gary & Jeannette
2014 Palazzo 33.2 "Emma"
2012 Hyundai Accent SE "Blackie"
NettieRegina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
I-25 Wyo - Colorado - New Mex

All of the other posts are right on. I have driven this route at least 14 times so here is a little extra.
Last summer most of the state of Wyoming was closed by a blizzard in May! We started driving throughout the west on May 1st and drove through two snow storms (not blizzards).
Wind in Wyoming can be horrific, there are electronic warning signs between Casper and Cheyenne. Over 60 mph wait it out. I usually slow down to 55 mph in windy conditions.
Traffic between Ft Collins and downtown Denver is usually "bad". I just stay in the second lane from the right and move with the semi-trucks.
I usually bypass Denver on the west I25-I76-I70-Colo 470-I25. Last time at 9 o'clock I only had to brake for traffic three times.
Raton pass is the only pass on the route but no big deal.
Last October through Santa Fe there were 55 mph winds. I live in New Mexico and we joke about a 50 mph "breeze".
Also check gas prices at "(state) gas prices dot com", New Mexico is the cheapest right now and Albuquerque is really cheap ($1.56 unleaded).
May fair winds always be at your back and safe travels.

2 Min Schnauzers +1 Golden as co-pilots with DW
1999 HR Imperial 38WDS, 330hp ISC Cummins
2015 Buick Enclave, AF1 brake
Penney is offline   Reply With Quote