Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #1

Route help for the Black Hills

Pulling a 43' toy hauler with a Ram 3500 DRW. I was wondering about the route from Rapid City down to Hill City. I am considering taking 79S to 36 and pick up 16A on into Hill City.

Heck while I am asking we will head West after about a week to Cody Wy. Any suggestions? We will be running about 18500# in the trailer. So the easier route the better.

Thanks in advance
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

Folks sorry, not taking the RV only to Custer SD. Staying at Custers Gulch CG
Old 06-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #3

From Rapid City to Custer, most folks would use 16 to 385 via Hill City to Custer. The 79S to 36/16A is a good alternate in a normal vehicle, but gets a bit twisty & tight as it winds through the park , especially in your 43 ft rig. its doable but wouldn't be my first choice pulling 43 ft

assuming you're leaving for Cody from the Custer area, take US16 NW through Newcastle Wy & get on I90 W at Moorcroft; get off I90 near Buffalo Wy and take US16 over the Bighorns to Ten Sleep. That's the easiest of the routes over the Bighorns for a rig your size. once you're down to Ten Sleep there are about 3 ways to get to Cody, take your pick, no issues on this side of the mountains.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #4

Regarding getting to Cody, I came at it from the South and if you opt to go the route that puts you on Wy-120, I found it to be a good route and wish we had stopped in Meeteetse
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
Regarding getting to Cody, I came at it from the South and if you opt to go the route that puts you on Wy-120, I found it to be a good route and wish we had stopped in Meeteetse

We will probably take that route home to Arkansas
Old 06-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #6

If you are concerned about going over the Bighorns you can continue on 90 to Billings and come into Cody the back way. It takes about an additional 45 Minutes. When you leave Hill City you if you want to go the back way the road is ok through NewCastle and Upton. Operate on the half tank rule and you will have plenty of fuel.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
If you are concerned about going over the Bighorns you can continue on 90 to Billings and come into Cody the back way. It takes about an additional 45 Minutes. When you leave Hill City you if you want to go the back way the road is ok through NewCastle and Upton. Operate on the half tank rule and you will have plenty of fuel.

Thanks for that info. I will be near max weight in my toy hauler so I may stay on 90. Better 45 minutes worry free. No worries on fuel, one of the best things I have ever done is add a 75 gal. Aux automatic fuel tank. Never have to to stop and fuel while towing. Gives me near a thousand mile range.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vongreg View Post
Thanks for that info. I will be near max weight in my toy hauler so I may stay on 90. Better 45 minutes worry free. No worries on fuel, one of the best things I have ever done is add a 75 gal. Aux automatic fuel tank. Never have to to stop and fuel while towing. Gives me near a thousand mile range.
I had a big Escalade with a 450 and came over 16 several times after Sturgis. The rt 90 route if effortless. If you stay on 90 go to Billings, take 212 to at about Rockvale 72 then 120. You do not want to go into Red Lodge. Once in Cody you can head back to the Chief Joseph's Highway, stop at Cooke City and head over the Beartooth to Red Lodge on the Bikes. It is a great ride.