Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Route Questions

We're planning our 2015 trip to Washington & Oregon and I have questions about possible routes & stops. There are a couple of state parks that look interesting and we'd like to stay a few days in each.

The first is Thompson Falls State Park in western Montana. The route to it and back to I-90:

From W I-90 in Western MT to MT 200 to Thompson Falls SP
Leaving: MT 200 to MT 135 back to W I-90

SR 135 is squiggly but the assents and descents don't seem to be excessive.

The other park is Collier Memorial SP in Oregon. The route to it is:

South of Eugene OR: From S I-5 to OR 58 to S US 97 to Collier Memorial SP
Leaving: North on US 97 to I-84

We're in a 35' DP towing a Jeep Wrangler. Both routes look doable on Google Earth. In fact, OR 58 looks like it has a lot of truck & RV traffic.

Advice is always appreciated on both the route & parks!

We'd originally thought we'd include Sequoia & Yosemite in this trip but have decided to save them for another time.

Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
My wife and I went out to Coeur d'Alene for my son's Ironman event a couple of summers ago. We stayed at a campground at the east of of Lake Coeur d'Alene and enjoyed it. We saw moose each day we were there.
Home Page
Heading west, we discovered Washington and Oregon State Parks were all nice. Their web resources are great, campground maps, reservations, even photos of the campsite you might reserve! Wish all state parks were as nicely organized.
Washington State Parks | Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission
Oregon State Parks and Recreation

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 01:23 AM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your a US Military Veteran with 10% or more VA disability you are eligible to apply for a special pass at Oregon State Parks. 10 days free camping per month but no more than 5 free nites at a time. If you want to stay longer than 5 days, you pay for the extra days.
Oh yeah, Oregon Collier State Park is great to visit Crater Lake - a must do.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
We have stayed at Collier several times, it's a nice campground with some big sites and full service. Can easily drive to Crater Lake from there. Good trout fishing. 58 from Eugene has some grades but not that bad, 97 is a good route, we use it more than I-5., to go north and south.
08 Trail-Lite 8230
2011 Silverado 1500
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
We left I-90 and took MT-135 to MT-200 as far as Plains...then we took MT-28 towards Flathead Lake. The stretch of road to Thompson Falls looks to be quite straight and level on the map...following the river. I remember part of our route being narrow and bumpy. I think it was highway 28. We were just so excited to be heading for Glacier NP.

If you are going to Washington, you need to include the Cascades. I would take I-90 west and exit for Wenatchee, then up to Leavenworth on Hwy 2. You can stay at a beautiful county CG next to the highway in Monitor (12 miles before Leavenworth) or stay at a very scenic RV Park on the Icicle River. A day trip with your Jeep to the Lake Chelan area would be in order. Then you really should think about staying at Lake Wenatchee SP farther up Hwy 2...before crossing over Stevens Pass and into the Seattle area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3077.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	724.2 KB
ID:	81564   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3133.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	647.1 KB
ID:	81565  

Air Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
58 and 97 are both good hiways and not the loads of traffic that you seem to envision. 58 is mountainous and it will have it's ups and downs as well as curves but not any worse than most hiways thru the mountains. It is quite scenic. Last summer when we went thru in our 40 Winnebago , towing , we had some ongoing construction to deal with and it may still be there this year. You may want to see where they are on that.
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
Have not stopped at Thompson Falls, but have been up 200. Love the drive. I would continue up 200 to Sand Point, Id., cross into Wa., then follow either SR 20 or US 2 across the state. Either is more scenic than I90. The advantage of this route is that you skip the I90 mountain pass through the Rockies (although that is also scenic)
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #8
Thanks, guys! I thought both MT 135 & OR 58 looked like they'd be okay but it's always better to get opinions.

US 2 looks like a great alternative to I-90.

I'm considering Leavenworth & Lake Wenatchee State Park now. It's hard to to find a stopping place.

Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote