Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #15
That's a good picture.You are a lot braver than I am, and my coach
is only 28 feet.Enjoy your adventurer.

Barry & Martha Trueman
2014 Bay Star Sport 2702
2008 Goldwing 2006 Harley FLHT
purrin along is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #16
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have driven The Mother Road, and as many of the abandoned bits as I could before the advent of the GPS for the common man. There are some special maps that will show you all these abandoned and original track, a seperate map for each state. You will need your toad to explore all of those, and a 4x4 for some. Here is some text that describes them:

A collaborative effort between Jim Ross and Jerry McClanahan, The Route 66 Map Series consists of a separate fold-out map for each Route 66 state with turn-by-turn driving directions, both westbound and eastbound. Each map is generously illustrated with original art by McClanahan, and text by Ross includes the history of the road, tips on finding older alignments, and an overview of the highway in each state. Designed for today's tourists, these eight maps are updated regularly to keep you solidly on track as you explore America's legendary highway."

These are available from many places, including Amazon. Have a great time!

The Hamptons, (Wally & Wendy)
NW Washington State
2015 Newmar Ventana LE 3436
2005 Mini Cooper S

The Hamptons
2015 Newmar 3436 LE
2005 Mini Cooper S
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
JMHO: There are sections of Rt.66 where a motor home and toad just shouldn't be driven , can't comment on your whole route but ; Kingman AZ. to Bullhead City AZ. through Oatman is one section, where you should only take the toad.

I've been through Oatman, Arizona on Route 66 and it can accommodate a motorhome just fine. Just watch out for the burros that roam the streets.
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:09 AM   #18
Solo Rvers Club
Dell Rhea's Chicken Basket is on the original road. Still serves great chicken.

It is north east of Rt 83 and I55. Mapquest shows the location.
2011 Four Winds Chateau 28A
Ford E350
2012 Honda CRV
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #19
I was born in Santa Monica and raised nearby. I drive by the pier frequently! Funny that this is such an adventurous trip now😊 I grew up riding in the back of my parent's station wagon on old Route 66 traveling to Illinois many, many times from 1956-1971. Fondly remember driving thru all the towns, seeing Navajo blankets hanging outside, etc. Took it all for granted, but then I was a child! Just drove to Illinois a few weeks ago from CA on Interstate 40 and saw all of the signs about the original Route 66, where to exit the interstate to access the route, and where to come back on the 40. Would love to drive the original road, but not with our 40' fiver😳. Did stop by a wonderful little Route 66 museum near Elk City Ok.
2015 Cardinal 3850RL
carolanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #20
Stop at mid-point too!!

Don and Mary
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote