Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:23 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KenandBarbie
Rte 66 Start & Finish

Next month we will do Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica. One (whacky?) objective I have is to photograph our M/home in Chicago at the Rte66 "start" sign and again at Santa Monica at the "end" sign. Has anyone done this? - is it possible? (I don't always do sensible! I would prefer not to have to "photoshop" a montage (smile). I am reasonably confident about driving in cities. The challenge will be stopping and getting the m/home and the sign in the photo, unless I do a circuit and have my beloved waiting on the sidewalk with the camera ready as I go by (smile). You can probably tell I am not from USA. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #2

JMHO: There are sections of Rt.66 where a motor home and toad just shouldn't be driven , can't comment on your whole route but ; Kingman AZ. to Bullhead City AZ. through Oatman is one section, where you should only take the toad.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
JMHO: There are sections of Rt.66 where a motor home and toad just shouldn't be driven , can't comment on your whole route but ; Kingman AZ. to Bullhead City AZ. through Oatman is one section, where you should only take the toad.
And some sections no longer exist.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Kinda funny you would mention this. We are currently sitting on "Historic Route 66" in Vega TX right now.

"Some sections no longer exist" is an accurate statement. And there is considerable debate (or there should be) as Route 66 change courses over the years.

I currently have an email into the Illinois and Chicago Department on Transportation regarding the "beginning" of Route 66 in Chicago. In the mid to late 1960's, I and other people who grew up in Old Town distinctly remember a sign at the corner of Clark and Ogden that read "End of US Route 66". That corner no longer exists. But one should be aware that all those "Historic Route 66" signs may or may not be entirely accurate.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:04 PM   #5

Ken and Barbie,

While I would have loved to take that picture, much of the Chicago is in neighborhoods that are not someplace you want to be.

Before you do anything else, get EZ66 (ISBN0-9709951-4-8). Read IL page4.
Then read the rest of the book about about a day ahead.

We started in Joliet.
We had a blast, but we could only go as far as the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque because of time restrictions.

Yes, there are old sections that even though they still exist are not anyplace you want to take you coach.

Frank
Old 08-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F76Marion View Post
Ken and Barbie,

While I would have loved to take that picture, much of the Chicago is in neighborhoods that are not someplace you want to be.

Before you do anything else, get EZ66 (ISBN0-9709951-4-8). Read IL page4.
Then read the rest of the book about about a day ahead.

We started in Joliet.
We had a blast, but we could only go as far as the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque because of time restrictions.

Yes, there are old sections that even though they still exist are not anyplace you want to take you coach.

Frank
That sign in Chicago (along with Ogden Ave) have been long gone for almost 50 years now. The current "Historic" one is downtown.

I told myself over and over to steal that original sign back in the 1960's. Unfortunately, I didn't have the guts to do it.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #7

Historic Route 66 where you don't want to take MH😖
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471972565.450986.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	136864
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the comments. I am researching everything I can 'cos this is my number 1 bucket list item for me and has been for more than 30 years when I used to live in New Zealand, the land of my birth. The reason we bought the Motorhome in the first place. I will pick up the EZ66 book. Hard to get here in UK just now. I have seen several references to this, as the definitive guide. As to the Chicago sign I have seen references to signs outside the Russian Tea Time Restaurant at 77 E Adams Street and also Lou Mitchell's at 565 W Jackson Blvd. I am thinking that a nite stop at the Truck Marshalling parking might be a god idea so that I can "case the place" on the ground first. As they say - just livin' the dream.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandBarbie View Post
Thanks for the comments. I am researching everything I can 'cos this is my number 1 bucket list item for me and has been for more than 30 years when I used to live in New Zealand, the land of my birth. The reason we bought the Motorhome in the first place. I will pick up the EZ66 book. Hard to get here in UK just now. I have seen several references to this, as the definitive guide. As to the Chicago sign I have seen references to signs outside the Russian Tea Time Restaurant at 77 E Adams Street and also Lou Mitchell's at 565 W Jackson Blvd. I am thinking that a nite stop at the Truck Marshalling parking might be a god idea so that I can "case the place" on the ground first. As they say - just livin' the dream.
KenandBarbie
Traveling Route 66, (aka: the Main street of America/the Mother Road), end to end is an interesting adventure.
We have done it twice ...once west bound in 1972 by car and again east bound in 2012 in our coach.
Enjoy fulfilling your dream.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-31-2016, 06:03 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I have now got a copy of the EZ66 Guide as Frank recommended. Looks like it will be an indispensable aid for VDW as she calls the shots from the Right Hand seat. Only 20 days to engine start! Thanks for the encouraging comments in response to my post.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:21 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Two years ago my DW and I spent 6 weeks driving the historic Route 66 from Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier. It was a great adventure but does present some challenges, especially when driving a large motorhome. As you can see from my sig, we were driving a 43 ft DP and had a toad that proved to be invaluable when exploring some of the harder to reach places.

The above Google Street view shows the Route 66 “Begin” sign in downtown Chicago. It looks like the traffic was light when this image was taken. Also note the 13 ft 2 in clearance of the overpass ahead. We left our coach in Joliet, IL and took our toad in and spent a couple of nights in a hotel. I would not recommend a MH in downtown Chicago.

At the other end, if I recall correctly, the end sign is on the Santa Monica Pier where you cannot take a vehicle.

Along the way you will also encounter a few not weight limit bridges that were well below the 44,000 GVW of our rig. Some were as low as 8 tons and some height limits were less than 13 ft so be very careful.

Have you considered how you’ll deal with the different Rout 66 routes? Over the years it was realigned with several towns having two or even three official Route 66 routes, all legitimate during different date ranges. In some areas, such as in New Mexico the routes from different years were 60 miles apart.

Then of course there are sections that you cannot take a large vehicle on, such as east of Oatman, AZ. Areas like this we did in our toad

You will need one or more sets of maps that describe the various routes and you’ll have to do some planning ahead of time for different route options and sections where the road no longer exists. Be sure to pick up one of the crumpled pieces of the original concrete from the early sections of the road.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1474556162.711831.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	139614
Old 09-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Sen at Adams Street on Tuesday. We achieved the objective! Fabulous. Easier than I had feared. Thanks to Chicago drivers. Santa Monica here we come.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have lived in and near chicago all my life and have always thought route 66 began in Joliet?