Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #1

After a very enjoyable stay at Fort Wilderness last April for my husband and I, we are headed back in April of 2009 with our son-in-law, daughter and grandaughter. Our son-in-law has never seen underground caverns, so we'd like to stop for a night on the way back to Michigan at the end of our stay and visit Ruby Falls. However, we do not pull a toad.....so is there a campground within walking or biking distance to Ruby Falls and Lookout Mountain? Or are there any other underground caverns that any of you can recommend with a nice campground? Thank you!
SewBzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #2

After a very enjoyable stay at Fort Wilderness last April for my husband and I, we are headed back in April of 2009 with our son-in-law, daughter and grandaughter. Our son-in-law has never seen underground caverns, so we'd like to stop for a night on the way back to Michigan at the end of our stay and visit Ruby Falls. However, we do not pull a toad.....so is there a campground within walking or biking distance to Ruby Falls and Lookout Mountain? Or are there any other underground caverns that any of you can recommend with a nice campground? Thank you!
SewBzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #3

SawBzzy

AR falls did not impress me very much, while Lookout Mt was very impressive, especially the guys who jumped off the top with their hang gliders. Made my toes curl. The most beautiful cavern I have ever been in, including Carlsbad Cavern, is Luray cavern in Luray Va. Its just off the interstate (I think 85 or 83) To me, it has the most color as well as formations of any cavern I have visited. While this out of the way back to Mi. the cavers are awsom. Get a Kroger discount pass and they give you a discount if you decide to go. s/Toby
Old 07-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #4

I'm not aware of a CG really close to Ruby Falls, but they have a large parking area and could handle you're rig...Most of the other Lookout Mtn attractions (Incline railway, Rock City) accomodate bus/RV parking too..

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SewBzzzy:
...so is there a campground within walking or biking distance to Ruby Falls and Lookout Mountain?.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Closest campground to Ruby Falls/Lookout Mtn is Raccoon Mtn Campground at the I-24 Tiftonia Exit. The caverns onsite there are better than Ruby Falls (Ruby Falls cave is "dead" from the ground up to about 7 ft). Smaller but you can also take the "wild cave" tour. If you do the Wild Cave, take clothes to throw away afterwards. The mud leaves stains & will not come out. They also have a amusement park there too. We lived there for a few months one year. We liked it.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #6

I agree with Lorna. The caverns on site at Raccoon Mountain campground are better that Ruby Falls. We stayed there in a 35' 5th wheel but I saw some big rigs there also. We stayed there to tour Chattanooga, great aquarium, and had to visit the chattanooga choo choo.

raccoon1@raccoonmountain.com

JD