Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ruidoso Lives Up To Its Name: "Noisy"

For years, the wife and I have visited Ruidoso with friends; this is our second trip in the motorhome.

While there are many RV parks here, they tend to be relatively modest. One exciting development is a big hillside resort being built near the Best Western on Route 70.

One thing we've noticed, is the slow onset of what is best described as "road anarchy" here. Ruidoso, like some other small towns scattered across the country, is becoming a haven bikers and off-roaders. Of those, there is a small minority for whom it is important to make the same level of noise inherent to a 747 on takeoff roll. Don't ask me why; my personal opinion is that it is loosely associated with dysfunction below the belt. Further, people are in a hurry, drive with their hair on fire. Signs that the community struggles with traffic calming are everywhere: speed bumps, special enforcement zones, flashing markers, the like.

It is a war they are clearly losing, at the moment.

The problem is severe enough to make us re-think our travel plans, as I conveyed to the Chamber of Commerce. They have a Facebook site, as do other towns' chambers and administrations. All of us can make ourselves known via that avenue, when we wish to praise or criticize our travel destinations.
We're on our sixth or so visit to Ruidoso; the last two were via motor coach, before that by light aircraft.

One thing that has changed over the years: traffic. This visit, we've been flipped off by presumed locals, near our RV resort. And, every day, cars and trucks pass us with their hair on fire (or, lunge at our bumper) for the transgression of driving "only" 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit. Worst, is the "Mad Max" crowd who pride themselves at ripping the air with explosive exhaust noise. Signs forbidding "unmuffled exhaust brakes," aimed at truckers become a joke, if you are on the sidewalk downtown for more than five minutes.

RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So, avoid the areas you don't like.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
I can understand your frustration of having a place you love go down hill. It is a part of life in some areas.

It is time to go somewhere else. You do have wheels, don't you?
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We All Can Move, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
I can understand your frustration of having a place you love go down hill. It is a part of life in some areas.

It is time to go somewhere else. You do have wheels, don't you?
I'd rather stay and repair -- we're short-term stay folks -- and the Chamber is receptive. Good folks, very responsive.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
I'd rather stay and repair -- we're short-term stay folks -- and the Chamber is receptive. Good folks, very responsive.
In that case, strict, fair enforcement by police that will focus on traffic will stop a lot of it.

I don't know the town but maybe they need more officers (budget) or a chief that is committed to change.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

Then definitely avoid the third week in September when the Golden Aspen motorcycle rally is happening. That's the noisiest weekend ever. I ride and usually go to the rally every few years and I am amazed at how obnoxious some bikers can be.

My folks spend the summers at Apple Tree, on 70 across from the Circle B and love it. It's off the road and down the hill slightly so it's a little more quiet.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Helping Things Along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
In that case, strict, fair enforcement by police that will focus on traffic will stop a lot of it.

I don't know the town but maybe they need more officers (budget) or a chief that is committed to change.
Good point.

As I pointed out to the Chamber of Commerce and the Police Department today, their own ordinances forbid un-muffled engines on any vehicle.

My suggestion: brief patrols to ticket open-pipe or bypassed semis, pickups, cars and bikes; and, drop the trucker-aimed language on their warning signs. And, to focus on weekends. During the week, the problems seem largely absent.

It seems I'm just the latest in a long line of people complaining about what amounts to the sound of sporatic gunfire -- it is about the same decibel level -- downtown. Were the same level produced by jake brakes or subwoofers, they'd be in emergency mode. It mystifies me, that smaller engines somehow merit overlooking.

While it's tempting to simply vote with my feet/wallet, that doesn't help anyone but me, is a comfortable but admittedly cowardly choice I'm struggling to avoid.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #8

We have found Ruidoso to be a wonderful retreat from the Texas heat. We'd all like there to be less motorcycle noise everywhere......... Grandbury included. We really need to put noise limitations on motorcycles in place in all states. I ride what is probably the only Harley with stock pipes in the state of Texas. Hate the noise generated by my riding partners but their response is always that "It's not against the law". Well, it should be.

But those Lincoln County Grill biscuits and gravy are worth the price of admission! How I miss those since they closed their Plano location. One of the best breakfast places anywhere. If you haven't visited it, please do. It's on Sudderth.........

Love the town, the people and the merchants. It's a great place as you know or you wouldn't be there. I commend you for your efforts at reform, but don't discourage folks who haven't been there from making the trip. It is, IMHO, a gem of a town.

Perhaps a move to Cloudcroft (which is a must as a sidetrip from Ruidoso) would give you a little more peace and quiet. Another wonderful community worth visiting.

Enjoy your stay and get some earplugs until the reforms take hold. I would be happy to trade places and our 100* for some motorcycle noise.
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planocat View Post
We have found Ruidoso to be a wonderful retreat from the Texas heat. We'd all like there to be less motorcycle noise everywhere......... Grandbury included. We really need to put noise limitations on motorcycles in place in all states. I ride what is probably the only Harley with stock pipes in the state of Texas. Hate the noise generated by my riding partners but their response is always that "It's not against the law". Well, it should be.

Enjoy your stay and get some earplugs until the reforms take hold. I would be happy to trade places and our 100* for some motorcycle noise.
Thanks, Planocat. I got a similar response from another biker here.

Coming from the hotrod, 4-wheeler or biking crowd, it means a whole lot more, and is appreciated.

BTW, I'm headed up to Cloudcroft for breakfast, will eat some biscuits on your behalf. Back into the Hood County oven Saturday...

Thanks again!