Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Tiffin Owners Club
RV Cruises

Heard in general conversation while getting my hair cut the other day about an Alaska cruise where they loaded the RV on the ship in WA and you did the cruise to Alaska and drove the RV back.
Is anybody familiar with this?

calsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Appalachian Campers
We checked into that a few years back, thinking of loading in Vancouver and unloading in Anchorage. Was going to spend a few weeks doing the area and then drive back, having seen the coast and interior. Sounded great until we got to the price. We had a 36 foot pusher back then and towed a Tracker. Figured without a toad there would be a lot we would miss. Anyway, they charge by the foot on the MH and it was going to run something like 3500 dollars just for the coach and still had to pay for the Tracker and a place to sleep. You cannot sleep or stay below decks on the ferry and the refrigerator cannot be on or the LP valve open.
I would still like to do it, but the price is just too much in this economy.

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
Vaguely, It's called the Alaska Marine Highway ferry. Expensive to take a long RV, and you cannot access your RV while underway, but I anticipate the experience will outweigh those minor distractions. We are contemplating doing this in 2012, or joining this RV Tour instead.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Our family took a trip to Alaska back in 1992. We did travel the Alaska marine highway but we also were in a 26' mh. It is quite the experience. But it is so expensive to do it nowadays. My wife and I looked into recently just out of curiosity and couldn't believe what the cost was. But if you have the means to do it I highly recommend it.
2008 Damon Challenger 376
EZ tow dolly
2015 dart GT
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Might I suggest checking with Cruise lines. We took a Holland American cruise to Skagway, then got a rented RV and toured. It was all in one package. They even made all the reservations at campgrounds for us - which we could use or not. A great way to become familiar with Alaska. Several years later we flew up and rented and RV for 2 weeks and made our own plans. Having driven on the roads up there I would not want to take my own RV.
Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
Cruise to Alaska

Yea, we looked at prices too.............. didn't do it. Instead we Cruised up, rented a RV for three weeks, then cruised back down. We rented from Great Alaskan Adventure, they have a whole fleet of 3 year or newer Winnebago Class C units. We chose to cruise back because it was cheaper than flying Alaskan Airlines (does that make sense?). That was a GREAT trip! We thought 3 weeks would be enough that we wouldn't need to go again, NOT. We are planning another trip. You can read about some of our trip on my blog at: smittyandsandy.blogspot.com
Harold & Sandy Smith
'16 Anthem "B"/'13 Equinox
Smitty3509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Vaguely, It's called the Alaska Marine Highway ferry. Expensive to take a long RV, and you cannot access your RV while underway, but I anticipate the experience will outweigh those minor distractions. We are contemplating doing this in 2012, or joining this RV Tour instead.

Checked into both of these and they sound interesting. Plan on retiring next year and maybe the cruise and drive will be a nice way to spend the summer and see places I didn't have the time to see before.
Will probably take my yearly bonus, which comes a month before I retire and the payout for my vacation time and see what I can do.

Thanks to everybody for your replies.

Steve & Barbara & Annie the dog. Recently retired and on the road...
2011 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA. 2008 Smart car.
calsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Funny this should come up now because we recently met a new neighbor who told us about taking this trip with her Foretravel Club and loving it. I can imagine it's quite expensive though.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would not consider the Alaska state ferry a cruise by any measure. Have to love the people that camp out on the decks though. Love to go to that part of town and watch them load and unload the ferry. You are only allowed to access your RV once per day. Plan your ride and drive routes carefully.

Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote