Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #1

RV in Bear Country

Heading up to Lake Louise. Bears are about this time of year. We are in. class A motor home. Can you cook in your RV? Other than don't leave attractants outside...is there any other advice?

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636, Cummins ISB
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #2

We've been camping in bear country. All of the warnings we've seen say not to leave grills, coolers, food, etc. outside so we've been putting the grill up after we've finished. Gary says he'd rather the bear get the grill outside rather than claw up our coach. LOL!

I always ask the host or ranger if there has been bear activity recently in the campground and the answer for the places we've been is "no, but". Either they've been spotted nearby or it's about time for them to be bulking up for the winter.

We keep bear spray close and stay aware of our surroundings.

We're heading to Yellowstone today and hope to see bears. From a distance!

traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We've been camping in bear country. All of the warnings we've seen say not to leave grills, coolers, food, etc. outside so we've been putting the grill up after we've finished. Gary says he'd rather the bear get the grill outside rather than claw up our coach. LOL!

I always ask the host or ranger if there has been bear activity recently in the campground and the answer for the places we've been is "no, but". Either they've been spotted nearby or it's about time for them to be bulking up for the winter.

We keep bear spray close and stay aware of our surroundings.

We're heading to Yellowstone today and hope to see bears. From a distance!

Thank you KarenS144. We will be sure to check with the ranger. With all of the warnings about food, I was perplexed just how we would go about cooking in the coach. Hope that you enjoy YNP!

Old 09-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
run faster than the person with you ? :

Police the area when you FIRST get there as the camper before you may have cleaned fish on the picnic table ... maybe pretreat the area as a preventive measure?
Old 09-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #5

I have seen tents set up next to bear proof food locker wouldn't think it would be that bad.(note it was not my tent I don't care a
How safe they say it is.)
Old 09-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by halftimer View Post
I have seen tents set up next to bear proof food locker wouldn't think it would be that bad.(note it was not my tent I don't care a
How safe they say it is.)
We tent-camped in Sequoia National Park a few yards from the bear locker in 1998 and had no problem. It was on that trip that we saw wild bears for the first time in a national park.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Unless you are between them and their babies or food bears really do not care much for or about humans. I've hiked in bear country all my hiking life (decades). The only hiking difference is:
1. I pack no food in my pack. With no lunch, it can make for a long day but better safe than bear bait. I do pack more drink.
2. Have a bear horn.
3. Have bear spray.
4. Wear bear bells.
Only once did a bear get with a few feet of me. The bear was taking the same trail as me. They do this because it is much easier to travel on a trail than slog through the woods/brush. The bear (black) caught up to me and my partner from behind! As soon as I realized the bear was going to "play through" we got off the trail as quickly as we could. We got no more than 10' off the trail before the bear passed us. The bear went on his/her way up the trail. After discussing the incident, we decided to return to the trail head and take another trail for that day.

That bear scared the you know what out of me. However, from the bear's view he/she never paid any attention to us. It just went about doing whatever is was going to do.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #8

I love the story about your bear encounter GaryKD.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback. More information is:
1. Great Smoky Mountain National Park
2. Rainbow Falls Trail
3. 2011
4. Late March or early April

This trail is also one of the many trails that leads to Mt. La Conte. Mt. LeConte is the second tallest mountain in the GSMNP (about 6500'). Rainbow Falls is about 3 miles from the trail head and about 2K in elevation from the trail head to Rainbow Falls. For me 2K up in 3 miles is quite a workout. It is 1/2 way up to the top of Mt. LeConte.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We camp in bear country most of the time we are out! Cooking inside your rig is fine. If you use a grill or camp stove outside, put it up when you are finished. The ranger at Rocky Mountain National Park said it concisely: the only thing outside your rig when you leave it should be firewood. We have seen a number of bears in campgrounds, but we haven't ever had any issues. It is something to be aware of but not to be afraid of. Follow the rules and you will be fine.

As to hiking, I would never be 5 foot off a road without bear spray. It is not terribly expensive and an excellent deterrent for the one in a hundred thousand chance that you have a potential bear issue.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:13 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We have seen bears in many of the Northern PA. State Parks, usually near the dumpster area. Our last trip a few weeks back we stopped for a week at Worlds End SP. in NE PA. The park employee there said there hasn't been a bear siting in the campground this year.

Back about 15 years ago we tent camped on the bay of Valdez AK. Just made sure all items with smell / or a scent stayed in the car. Ended up seeing a huge grizzly bear about 1/2 mile down the road the next morning.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #12

I've been around and photographed bears on occasion on day trips. Just never cooked around them. All large mammals that I've come across would rather not be around humans. I certainly wouldn't want to surprise one or come between mom and baby. I will be certain to take all of the advice to heart. I feel much better prepared. Thanks!

Jerry

Old 09-02-2015, 06:47 PM   #13

We just got back from Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper. Put your stuff away at night. There are 3 sows near the Park Campground in Lake Louise with Cubs.

They do not have bear lockers like the USFS does in their campgrounds.

Since we got home in two weeks we have had a black bear on our rear deck four times.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #14

Just checked into Lake Louise. Thanks for tip on the sows. Any tips on restaurants, gas stations...and things to avoid?