Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV park near New Orleans

We are planning our first trip with the Motor Home in March. One choice is New Oeleans. Has any one stayed near new N.O.? There is a park called French Quarter RV. Has anybody stayed there? We don't have a toad yet, still doing research. We could bring bicycles but don't know if they would be an advantage or disadvantage. FQRV is close to the French Quarter, but I am not sure how close. The ad says blocks from the FQ. That could be 2 to 9999. If anyone has stayed there and can give us some info, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hej Jim and Vicky

Just before Christmas we stayed at Bayou Segnette State Park. With a toad this is a nice park relatively close to New Orleans - without a toad it's to fare from where the action is. We liked it here and would stay here again.

However - when we went to see the N.O. famous cemetery's we did come across the French Quarter RV park and I would have to say that it is certainly within a reasonable walk to the French Quarter. If you have the ability to "cruise the French Quarter on foot" I would say that you should have no problems walking from the RV site. Personally I wouldn't even bother to "unfold" our bikes to make this short journey.

The surroundings to the RV site did come forward as being "a bit rough" but the actual RV site itself looked OK to us.

Go for it and I hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to come back some day.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We spent a week at FQRV Resort just after Mardi Gras this past year and loved it. It's a great park and an easy walk to Bourbon St. Security is very good within the park. We didn't have any trouble walking to/from FQ but it's a downtown area in a large city so keep your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings.

The park will never be accused of being a "bargain" because it is quite expensive but it's location, location, location.

Good Luck,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We stayed at FQRV this past October. It is very convenient to the French Quarter. When we checked in they told us to walk but we may want to take a taxi back after dark. It you catch one on a one-way street headed toward the park it cost 5 bucks. Study the trolley system. You can buy a pass and get on and off as you please. They have two systems but the pass is good for either.
Knotdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My mistake. The taxi cost 8 bucks not 5.
Knotdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For a real treat we did an Airboat ride with the guy in the attached link.

Airboat Swamp Tours in Houma, La. located in Bayou Black, Heart of the Cajun Country in.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #7

I forget the RV resort name, but it was also close to the FQ, and provided shuttle service. Seems it was just SW of the lake causeway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:02 AM   #8

Boeing Guy,

I will second what the Danes say about Bayou Segnette State Park. We have stayed there a couple of times. LA used to accept the Golden Age pass for out of state folks, but no longer does. But full price at about $18 for a huge 50 amp paved backin site with water you can't go wrong.

So the savings might offset the cost of a rental car. We seen quite a few folks have enterprize show up with a car for them. One thing you will find out real fast is that it is no fun traveling in an MH without a toad. Looks like your planning on one, so you might want to look into that sooner rather than later. Plus you might want to visit places that are further away.

Bob
Old 02-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #9

For the past two years I've stayed at the French Quarter RV Resort (French Quarter RV Resort - French Quarter RV Resort) in the April, around the time of the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival | April 29 - May 8, 2011). As their web site says, rates are event driven and varied during the time I stayed there, depending on the event schedule. At the same time, the resort is part of Passport America (and other discount programs) and offers one night per stay at 50% off their regular, non-event rate.

It takes about 5 minutes to walk from the park to the edge of the French Quarter, all across an used parking lot of a now defunct grocery store (I think it was a Winn-Dixie but not sure). There are also some housing projects that parallel the parking lot.

The resort has several vans that shuttles guests round trip to the Jazz Fest which is included in the daily rate. This is really convenient as it eliminates a parking headache or a decent sized cab fare.

I really enjoyed the two times I've stayed there and wouldn't hesitate to return. At the same time, I also like to try new locations and will definitely give Bayou Segnette State Park a try next time I'm on the area.

Here's a few photos of the resort ... Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FQRV_2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	8102   Click image for larger version

Name:	FQRV_3.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	8103  

Click image for larger version

Name:	FQRV_4.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	8104   Click image for larger version

Name:	FQRV_1.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	8105  

Old 02-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #10

Smile

Map data ©2011 Google - Terms of Use

PONTCHARTRAIN LANDING 877-376-7850 This is the park we stayed at was the most reasonable. FQ is quite abit more also u may want to call ahead mardi grass will be going on booth fill up fast. also they offer shuttle to French Quater.
stingray906 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new orleans