Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2014, 11:46 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
RV park prices going way up?

Is it just me, or are RV park prices really headed up? Seems I remember when $45-$55 was at the upper end. Now I see many in the $60's plus all the added taxes. Did I miss something? Wallmart and Home Depot are looking better. Where did I store that tent?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2014, 11:55 AM   #2

Tent pegs , in the pavement at Walmart , might be a problem.

Property taxes, cable, internet, power rates, water rates, minimum wage for employees, all going up. Park owners putting up prices to stay in business.

EDIT: Canadian top end parks , now in the $75 range.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #3

Depnds on where you live or camp. There are still some good deals out there, but if you stay anywhere near a big City they will be a little more expensive. We found places in Northern California, Oregon, and Washington as low as $26 a night for full hookups in really nice CG's, with nice large spaces. We also stayed at some places that were $60 a night that were Ok, but tight spaces, and no better than the $26 a night campgrounds, but they were within walking distance to the downtown areas of mid sized cities.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am not seeing a general increase in the parks I know. Price varies big time by location. Key West is super high for a bad park. Hilton head is high for a good park. Rockport,TX is moderate for a good park. It sure depends on where you want to go and how fancy you need when you get there.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #5

I can't say that I've noticed any significant change in pricing over the last few years. There are certainly regional variations (pricing on the west and east coast areas is generally higher than the Midwest) and nicer parks naturally command higher prices, but overall I haven't really noticed any generalized rise in prices exceeding normal inflation.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The state CG's are the deal. I was talking private. West Yellowsone, Glacier, and other pacific Northwest areas. I live not far from Newport Dunes in So Cal. Check that one out. I don't get out that often so I try to stay at CG's rated 8+ when I can, 9+ is what I look for. Finding that a 30ft trailer in a State CG is a little tighter. I guess I didn't buy the RV setup to save money.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
The state CG's are the deal. ......
Don't hold your breath on that, either. I know Washington State Parks went to a statewide pricing system last spring, and just about anything with hookups will put you near $40. We've encountered several other states across the land on the same track. State Parks everywhere have the same budgetary problems as private parks, just framed slightly differently. Most states (with a few glaring exceptions) are finally realizing that 1) nothing is free, and that 2) someone has to pay for it, and that 3) government doesn't have a single dollar of its own money.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well isn't that just grand. While working the price of the CG is not a big deal but vacation time is limited. Then when I retire my time is unlimited but the money is not.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #9

There are many, many reasonable RV parks out there, along with public campgrounds. It just depends what you want. If you want to pay for a 'resort' name, then you're really going to pay. If a full hookup no-nonsense RV park will suit you, you have many reasonable choices.

Ourselves, we enjoy nature and you only find it in public parks. We don't care about hookups or a swimming pool. We're there to explore the surrounding area. We don't sit in a RV park.

It amazes me how many will pay the price of Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone when they could stay in the park itself for a fraction of the price. Grizzly can get those prices because folks pay them.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Very good points. I am going to re-think my CG choice and leave room in the big $$$ resorts for someone else.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When was the last time you saw a Motel 6 for $6 per night?
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #12

Govt does have money of its own, it is called DEFICIT, or money I did not approve of.
jbailey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
When was the last time you saw a Motel 6 for $6 per night?
Not $6 -but last April I was paying more at Willow Tree in SC -20 miles from the beach then a friend was paying for a Ocean Front Room at North Myrtle Beach---I RV for the lifestyle -not to save money,but I can't believe that tax and up keep at higher on a CG then a beachfront hotel--ANY Product is worth what people will pay.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:58 AM   #14

RV park prices going way up?

Supply & demand. As long as the campgrounds are full look for additional fees and the prices to increase.

The extreme weather last winter will for sure add to the parks in the south and S/W

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote