Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Park recommendations: Southern CA

Hi
We are planing to visit Southern California beginning of 2011. Driving from Vancouver BC. Figure one week to get there - stay two weeks - one week return.
Looking for suggestions for stops along the way and (most importantly) RV Parks in southern CA
Thanks everyone for your help!
regards, peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Where exactly in S. Cal? near Disneyland? Beaches? San Diego and /or Los Angeles area? We know the area well if you can be more specific. Also, do you want to stay in one campground and drive to activities? Are you taking a toad?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_bc View Post
Hi
Driving from Vancouver BC. Figure one week to get there - stay two weeks - one week return. Looking for suggestions ...
I'd suggest a plan based on a longer time **meandering** your way down the coastal highway + the minimum time to safely make the return trip to BC + 2 spare days just because...

with the balance of time doing the coastal State Parks south of Newport Beach.

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:04 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLori View Post
Where exactly in S. Cal? near Disneyland? Beaches? San Diego and /or Los Angeles area? We know the area well if you can be more specific. Also, do you want to stay in one campground and drive to activities? Are you taking a toad?
We are looking at San Diego, up to Los Angeles. We prefer the coast, as opposed to too far 'inland'. Open to either two full weeks in one place, OR, one full week in two different places. Yes, will have a toad.
thanks!
pdq
Old 07-21-2010, 12:31 PM   #5

Look at the coastal state parks in Ventura County, CA., McGrath, Emma Wood, Carpenteria, no hookups at Emma Wood or McGrath, but sites right on the ocean. I guess you mean Jan or Feb? No reservations needed in the winter months, unless a holiday weekend. There's also a county park, Rincon, no hookups, your door opens on the ocean, nice views.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I left San Diego area about 10 years ago and don't have current information but I suspect you will not find many RV parks between San Diego and southern LA area. In San Diego is Mission Bay that has an RV park. On the south side of San Diego is Chula Vista Marina & RV Park. Also a KOA but in my opinion Chula Visa is a better place. They sometimes have a discount coupon in RV magazines. Here is an interesting site I found where a couple list and rate RV sites they visit. http://wecallithome.blogspot.com/ They have visited and rated parks in many of the lower 48 states. As mentioned there are numerous state parks in CA, OR that are pretty nice. Enjoy your trip.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
My personal experiences (I live in So Cal)

use reserveamerica.com to find beachside state CG's. You can reserve up to 6 months in advance. They sell out quickly for summer dates, but winter (other than holidays) should be easy to get.

I have personally been to the ones below:

So. Carlsbad is really nice if you do not mind walking down stairs to the beach. Your beachside spot will be on a bluff. Most spots are very large (we used one spot for a 35' toyhauler/truck and our 32' moho with alot of room to walk around. Public dump for free. Spots are dirt with some trees.

Bolsa Chica is more of parking lot - but you are right on the beach (boardwalk separates you from the beach). Electrical and water hookups, no dump at site, but there is a public dump you can use for free.

Silver Strand is even more of a parking lot, no electric, no water, no dump and alot of very specific rules. I watch them cite someone for their a/c running and dripping onto the parking lot. You must have a bucket. When we asked why - since we are AT THE BEACH, we weren't given a very specific answer. Small spots. But you can walk to Mission Bay and your beachside spot will be on the beach.

Another beach CG i have been to:
Ventura Beach - I was not impressed with the CG there - longer walk to the beach, dead sea animals rotting on the beach. There is a river runoff area that runs alongside this CG that homeless have made their home. Cg itself was ok - nice sites with grass. People working there acted as if they were doing us a favor by rentig us a spot.
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #8

Go to www.epgsoft.com and play with the map. Zoom in until the little "bubbles" appear indicating campgrounds, public and private. Click on the bubble and it'll give you reviews, website and phone info.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
We visit the LA area every Dec. and stay here Camping | Lake Casitas Recreation Area it's a bit out of the way and requires some driving, but hey it's SO Cal.

Dick
Old 07-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
thank you for all the suggestions - this is most appreciated

we don't have to be on the beach - just know how much we like to be nearer to, as opposed to farther away

peter
Old 07-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
... Here is an interesting site I found where a couple list and rate RV sites they visit. http://wecallithome.blogspot.com/ They have visited and rated parks in many of the lower 48 states.
Thanks for the interesting link.
Makes you think of becoming an Elk: I had no idea there were so many parks if you were a member!

peter