Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #1

RV park sites

Everyone on this site has been really helpful to me and wife as we get ready to take our first trip with our TT. Backing the TT into a spot worries me and I was wondering if anyone knows the average width of the sites at the RV parks, excluding the National Parks?
ezspdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezspdr View Post
Everyone on this site has been really helpful to me and wife as we get ready to take our first trip with our TT. Backing the TT into a spot worries me and I was wondering if anyone knows the average width of the sites at the RV parks, excluding the National Parks?
Campsites are all different. Before you set out, find an empty parking lot on a Sunday morning and set up 2 lines of cones or other markers to simulate a campsite. Practice backing in to it from all angles, and keep moving the cones together to narrow the gap until you can back in to a site one foot wider than the TT on each side. Then you'll be ready!
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
You can count on an expearenced RVer at the CG that will be more then happy to help you get parked. RV folk like to help out when we can. Don't be afraid to ask for help--we all had our first times.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #4

Not sure how experienced you are but here's a trailer back up rule I use. Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. If you want the trailer to go left, move your hand left. I hope you can figure right out. Lol!

Some people say to put your hand on the top of the wheel and move your hand opposite the direction you want to go. Either way works, I just prefer the previous.

The biggest error we ALL make is over correction. Don't think you need to steer like you're in turn three at the daytona 500. A small movement goes a long way.

If you have access to a short utility trailer...try practicing with it. The shorter the trailer the harder to back in the end making you more successful with your 'big rig.'

Enjoy and remember the more you do this the easier it gets.
dkauffman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #5

This is a You Tube video that is the first in a series of four. This first video is very basic but the other three get better. Watch this one then find the other three on You Tube.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Ultimately, nothing will replace practice and experience. The suggestion to go out to an empty parking lot (think school, church etc) and practice a few times is a very good one.

Then just take your time your first trip out-and you'll get it. I think the initial anxiety can be worse than the actual experience. We have FT'ed now for five years, move probably an average of once a week or so, especially in the summer.

And the one thing that I think you can almost bank on (or at least I've found I can) no matter how many times I do it. There will be that one time in 10 or so that it won't go in the way it's supposed to with out multiple adjustments. There is usually a direct correlation to the number of people standing out watching me.

These are the times to remember to take a deep breath, don't get excited, and know you will get there. I usually use this opportunity to get out of the truck, calmly and deliberetly walk around the back of the rig--look as if I have been making those adjustments in order to get it just EXACTLY where I want it, make motions with my hands a little to indicate I have decided it would be better just a little this way or that, then get back in and try again. LOL
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #7

All good suggestions. I also find that if I am backing int a spot that is on the drivers side it is much easier. I can see the trailer wheels better and, if in a tight spot, the side of the trailer. Having said that my parking spot flor the RV is on the driver side so I get more practice doing that. I do find it easier to focus on where I want my wheels and let my spotter worry about the rest of the rig. I
GuyWhoTris is offline   Reply With Quote