Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2020, 12:15 AM   #15

I think noon is a generally expected check out time, even though most people who are traveling will leave much earlier than that. I know when I am traveling I like to see a noon check out, and start to get stressed if I see a place with a 10 am or even 11 am check out. I think the earliest checkout I have encountered at an RV park was 9 am. Without more amenities, I suspect most potential guest would be looking to stay 2-4 days on average, with a fair number of 1 night guests in there too. Basically long enough to explore the immediate area then hit the road, also lots of people will be scared off if you don't at least offer some electricity. Much past 3-4 days off grid and many people will be looking for options to do laundry, and empty their tanks, particularly if they are in smaller RV's.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #16

[moderator edit]

I couldn't open the link. I don't do Facebook.

So... I looked at your property at [moderator edit] It appears there are residential homes around it so they might not appreciate generators running and the sites are too wooded for solar.

When you mentioned 'state park' that threw me off. Hooper Park is a 'city' park. I find that Hooper Park has bathroom & showers, electric, water, dump. The reviews I found state "great for overnight".

The national forest campground near you, Aspen Grove C.G., charges $8 with no hookups. Seniors with the national pass would pay $4. It's on the Blackfoot River so that's a plus.

You said you're close to Glacier and Yellowstone for day trips. 3-4 hours is much too far for day trips so I really think you'll just get overnighters; not long-term renters - unless you get permanents. Having a short camping season it's going to be difficult to get enough campers to pay your big mortgage on the property.

Good luck in your endeavor!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #17

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I think noon is a generally expected check out time, even though most people who are traveling will leave much earlier than that. I know when I am traveling I like to see a noon check out, and start to get stressed if I see a place with a 10 am or even 11 am check out. I think the earliest checkout I have encountered at an RV park was 9 am. Without more amenities, I suspect most potential guest would be looking to stay 2-4 days on average, with a fair number of 1 night guests in there too. Basically long enough to explore the immediate area then hit the road, also lots of people will be scared off if you don't at least offer some electricity. Much past 3-4 days off grid and many people will be looking for options to do laundry, and empty their tanks, particularly if they are in smaller RV's.
Noon Time seems to be a fine time. However, there will not be an issue with leaving your space and driving across the street to re-fuel (yes they have diesel!), get propane, dump sewage, or getting free fresh water and then returning to your space. As long as you're paid up - it's YOUR space!

Again, thank you for your suggestion!
dumbneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I couldn't open the link. I don't do Facebook.

So... I looked at your property [moderator edit]. It appears there are residential homes around it so they might not appreciate generators running and the sites are too wooded for solar.

When you mentioned 'state park' that threw me off. Hooper Park is a 'city' park. I find that Hooper Park has bathroom & showers, electric, water, dump. The reviews I found state "great for overnight".

The national forest campground near you, Aspen Grove C.G., charges $8 with no hookups. Seniors with the national pass would pay $4. It's on the Blackfoot River so that's a plus.

You said you're close to Glacier and Yellowstone for day trips. 3-4 hours is much too far for day trips so I really think you'll just get overnighters; not long-term renters - unless you get permanents. Having a short camping season it's going to be difficult to get enough campers to pay your big mortgage on the property.

Good luck in your endeavor!
1) You are correct than generators may be annoying. However, you must also remember that my lot is on a commercial thoroughfare, and that residences close to a commercial thoroughfare should expect that at some point, something was going to happen to that property.

2) I think the rate of $10 per night is more than reasonable considering the location is in town and cuts down on time spent walking to and fro from the other locations. As I've said, the walk from other places my seem short when going to town; but very, very long coming back to your RV! LOL!
However, I may consider a small senior discount or a weekly discount, or a veterans' discount, as I am a veteran myself - 100% disabled vet at that!

3) Who knew? LOL! I did not know that Hooper Park was a city park, as Lincoln is not even incorporated.

4) RE: (Quote) I find that Hooper Park has bathroom & showers, electric, water, dump. The reviews I found state "great for overnight"...... If you honk as you go by my place to Hooper Park, (assuming they have spaces available) I will still wave and give you a smile!

5) You are correct! You may have a problem with solar!

6) My Face Book page is open to the public. you should have no problem getting there without being a member of Face Book.

7) RE: Day Trip. While I would agree that day trip may be an exhausting journey for you, I have done both myself.... However, how about I change the language to two-day trip?

8) And finally, if you want all of those services, and you want them at my place, I will be open to offers to purchase the whole kitten kaboodle after I qualify for a capital gains tax rate in July of 2020. Or, tell a friend! Make me an offer I can't refuse and i won't refuse it! LOL!

I thank you for your comments!
Old 01-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #19

Hmmm. I still can't see the pics. It states "This page isn't available". It wants me to login or signup. Oh well.

Sounds like you have a good attitude about this. Hope it works for you!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:20 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
[moderator edit]

OK please forgive me if this isn’t the problem and you already know this but this is how I post pics here:
1. Manage attachments
2. Choose file
3. Upload
4. Close window.

Then you can either preview or just post. Since many of my pics load upside down, I tend to preview first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FFD16B70-E861-4A17-85D6-F446C6A7796B.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	272884   Click image for larger version

Name:	4E7DD028-A102-44D0-A11A-AA98A0A32FCA.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	272885  

Click image for larger version

Name:	302BDC9F-3B86-442A-9638-C83EC2D3FC04.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	272886  
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:30 PM   #21

How hard would it be to run electric to each site?
Old 01-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Personally I'd rather have shade trees than bright sun - which of course tells you that I don't have solar on my RV. But from what *I* see the majority of RVs don't have solar, so I don't think that's an issue.

To ME, a site without electric is not great, I like to plug in. My understanding is that most trailers don't have a generator, so without electric you're limiting yourself as to who can easily (!) stay for a day or two.
A night or two without water or sewer would be no problem.

My preference is for a 1pm checkout. That's because most places I go I'm there for a purpose, to see something nearby or whatever. I don't want to have to check out at 11 or noon and then try to find someplace on the road to have lunch. I'd rather lunch before I leave. I understand that's not an issue for those folks who drive away as the sun comes up, so it's all about the personal preference and/or travel plans of the person in the site.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:04 PM   #23

Mr. D....... I looked at your pics on the Facebook page and it's a nice looking place. My first thought when I read your first post was 'what is this guy thinking'?...... Being debt free than taking on a fairly large mortgage at your age.

But, Colonel Sanders started his success in his 60's, so, who am I to doubt someones's dream! LOL!

Good luck,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:12 PM   #24

If you build it they will come! Well that’s the old adage anyhow. I do not know your area but love Montana. With that said there has to be not only a reason for people to stay but a reason for them to stay even longer.

Many people including myself would not stay a an rv park devoid of full hookups. That’s water, sewer and electric 30/50 amps. The infrastructure is what is expensive in an rv park.

You lack of funds are an issue so you may need to figure out away around them and partnering up may be your only viable option. Family/friends would be an option for sure, not my choice but man option nonetheless. Another viable option would be people in the trades such as electric and plumbing contractors. For an ownership in the property they may consider financially completing their trade.

Also consider grading, bathhouses and office area etc. as costs associated with you venture. Owning an rv park takes money a planning but if you have the location it may be worth it.

Good luck
Old 01-21-2020, 11:28 PM   #25

Well thank you, Podivin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Personally I'd rather have shade trees than bright sun - which of course tells you that I don't have solar on my RV. But from what *I* see the majority of RVs don't have solar, so I don't think that's an issue.

To ME, a site without electric is not great, I like to plug in. My understanding is that most trailers don't have a generator, so without electric you're limiting yourself as to who can easily (!) stay for a day or two.
A night or two without water or sewer would be no problem.

My preference is for a 1pm checkout. That's because most places I go I'm there for a purpose, to see something nearby or whatever. I don't want to have to check out at 11 or noon and then try to find someplace on the road to have lunch. I'd rather lunch before I leave. I understand that's not an issue for those folks who drive away as the sun comes up, so it's all about the personal preference and/or travel plans of the person in the site.
1 PM? Really? Is that a Maine thing? LOL! I'm thinking you should have brunch and eat an hour earlier! LOL! Montana, in the summer, means the sun comes up around 6 and the night gets dark about 10 PM. And in towns like mine, here, restaurants open early and close early. If you're looking for a steak here at 9 PM you can forget it. Here, it's kind of a "When in Rome" thing....err....When yer in Montana th'ang!

But! I do appreciate your comments! Thank you!
Old 01-21-2020, 11:50 PM   #26

Truth be told....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mark View Post
Mr. D....... I looked at your pics on the Facebook page and it's a nice looking place. My first thought when I read your first post was 'what is this guy thinking'?...... Being debt free than taking on a fairly large mortgage at your age.

But, Colonel Sanders started his success in his 60's, so, who am I to doubt someones's dream! LOL!

Good luck,
Mark

Truth be told, Mark, my purchase doesn't have to be any more than a 12 month + one day ownership problem. With what I paid for the lot which had no vision... well, now it does have a vision, and I will make money on the sale if I decide it's too much for me to handle. That is.... if I don't sink another $50,000 to $75,000 in it to satisfy everyone's ideal and personally convenient but really not necessary necessities. Realistically, though, the biggest reason for not putting in services, besides costs, is because I want an upscale clientele that brings everything they need with them. The bigger and newer the coach, the more likely that, while they may like to have services, don't need to have services.

So Mark.... I want to thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to go look at the pics. I do appreciate it!
Old 01-22-2020, 12:11 AM   #27

Oh Man! A lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
How hard would it be to run electric to each site?

It would cost a small fortune to run electrical. It would probably also demand a panel upgrade to 400 AMP... about 650' of 30" deep trenching... conduit, wiring and oversized wiring (Distance and voltage drop) for receptacles. Having once been an electrical contractor myself in a younger life, I also have a passionate hatred of direct burial cable. I don't have a problem with conduit and wiring, but Thank You for your comments! But then I think to myself..... why have any at all?
Old 01-22-2020, 08:13 AM   #28

There is a whole lot of wishful thinking going on. First on the list is hoping that no one in the town, county or state is going to put a stop to an unlicensed campground. It doesn't matter that the plan is to not offer any services, someone, be it a neighbor, the actual licensed campground, a police officer, the county public health inspector etc. is going to notice and start the ball rolling on closing it down.
Second, does anyone really believe there will be any customers? This is a town on what is considered a secondary road at best. It isn't in a tourist area, it is drive by country. There is apparently competition in the form of a free city park and a a full hookup commercial RV park within a mile. Is there really anyone who has chosen to pay $10.00 to park in a parking lot without any services when those two other options are available. And don't forget that this location is between Yellowstone and Glacier and most everyone traveling to these two destinations have reservations. If they make an unplanned stop, they are going to lose deposits and possibly their entire reservation.
Third, how does the owner intend to attract a customer in the first place? He has no budget or money for advertising, and if he did he draws immediate attention to concern #1. Without any signage or advertising if there is someone willing to pay the $10.00 for what is being offered, they are going to just drive on by without knowing it is even being offered.
Finally, if the guy starts to cheat a bit on no services, such as letting people use his septic system, runs a garden hose out to let them fill their tanks, uses extension cords to give them some power etc. liability issues skyrocket. Even without those services there is the possibility that someone could fall and break a leg or otherwise have something happen that leads them to sue the property owner , And even if this venture was insurable, which it isn't because the campground isn't licensed, the premiums would be greater than any possible income from $10 dry camping RV sites. Bad plan.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, parking, rv park