Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #1

rv parks along 83n

wondering where people stayed if traveling from texas to n Dakota along hwy83. From Abilene tx I can't seem to find rv parks to stay at thanks for input
dogsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #2

FWIW I started north from Abilene on Googlemaps with the search on camping and around 10 mi to the whatever on the scale. I see places where Walmart is your friend and I see areas where there is something withing 10 miles of 83 showing as some kind of camp ground. If I was doing it I would expect to use both Wally and paid places. YMMV. Perhaps the best thing to do is estimate your daily stops and do some close in searches. A lot of places do not show up on large area presentations.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
That's some desolate country you'll be traveling through. I don't know how far you want to travel in a day, but it seems like on that route, RV parks are a long way apart. On US83 north of Abilene, about the first place I find anything is Liberal, Kansas. Then there are a couple of parks in/near Oberlin, KS. From that point northward, there are parks in just about every sizeable town.

When traveling into less-populated areas, I use all the RV Park finders like GoodSamClub.com, campgroundreviews.com, and RVParky.com. I also lookup the local town's Yellow Pages and search for Campgrounds and/or RV Parks.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:55 AM   #4

As I recall there were a few in Oklahoma.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #5

OP - I will be following this to see if you get any ideas. I want to do this entire road someday. Have you read the book's "Hwy 83, The last American Highway" my cousin wrote it, he has finished all except Texas, there are 2 books out so far. Hopefully I dont get in trouble here for plugging his book..
Old 06-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm2good View Post
OP - I will be following this to see if you get any ideas. I want to do this entire road someday. Have you read the book's "Hwy 83, The last American Highway" my cousin wrote it, he has finished all except Texas, there are 2 books out so far. Hopefully I dont get in trouble here for plugging his book..
no I have not but that is where I am stuck on planning after Abilene I cant find any place to stay in texas I don't like to travel but about 300 miles a day and wont stay at wal mart
dogsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:12 AM   #7

Abilene to Shady Acres is 309 miles.

Shady Acres, 1317 Northeast 16th Avenue, Perryton, TX 79070

Using Google maps with camping in the search box and the scale expanded out to 10 mi to the increment a slow scan shows a fair amount of campgrounds either on 83 or one of the parallel or cross highways.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:54 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Using Allstays, I found about 10 or 15 campgrounds between Abilene and Liberal, KS. County parks, state parks, and commercial parks. They are there, you just have to use more than one search engine.

Jake
Retired-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote