Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 08:48 AM   #1

RV Parks and roads around Tail of the dragon

Plan 1 - Take the MH 31' pulling 20' motorcycle trailer Leprechaun to Robbinsville NC, stay at a local RV park in Robbinsville, get the bike out ride the dragon hang around for a couple of days then travel to Nashville for a couple of more days, then back home to Texas. This plan has me traveling to NC on 85 to 64, since I have never been in this area before I have questions.
1. As we get close to Robbinsville is the terrain hilly or mountain?
2. Any issues with roads in this area?
3. RV park suggestions in Robbinsville?

Once we depart Robbinsville I think it would be best to backtrack toward Nashville trying to avoid large hills/mountains and take 40 to Nashville.

Plan 2 - Take our Truck and bike trailer and do all the above..

Any advice is much appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Scott & Stephenie! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

We've been in that area but don't remember much about it except how beautiful it was!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueWing View Post
Plan 1 - Take the MH 31' pulling 20' motorcycle trailer Leprechaun to Robbinsville NC, stay at a local RV park in Robbinsville, get the bike out ride the dragon hang around for a couple of days then travel to Nashville for a couple of more days, then back home to Texas. This plan has me traveling to NC on 85 to 64, since I have never been in this area before I have questions.

1. As we get close to Robbinsville is the terrain hilly or mountain?

2. Any issues with roads in this area?

3. RV park suggestions in Robbinsville?

Once we depart Robbinsville I think it would be best to backtrack toward Nashville trying to avoid large hills/mountains and take 40 to Nashville.

Plan 2 - Take our Truck and bike trailer and do all the above..

Any advice is much appreciated.

I live in Lenoir City, TN, just about 30 miles from the Dragon. FYI, Robbinsville is in the mountains. Nice place. The whole Smokey Mtn region has great riding roads. You’ll love it. There are campgrounds aplenty in the area. We are heading to Maggie Valley in. Couple of weeks for the biggest Slingshot gathering in the US.

With that being said, DO NOT plan on hauling your RV or truck/trailer combo up or down US129. Go thru Tilleco Plains. It is a less twisty and less hilly road that can be driven in a motor home. Motor homes and the Dragon just do not mix.

Enjoy your trip.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:54 PM   #4

The Dragon is very unforgiving of anything longer than a single vehicle. You have 180 degree hairpin turns that actually turn back in on themselves. Drive in a car or take a leisurely motorcycle ride early on a Sunday morning before the crazies shake off their hangovers. I've seen a lot of small and a couple of bad wrecks. There's a restaurant and motel on the North Carolina side that has the "Tree of Shame" made up of motorcycle parts left behind by crashers. Stay off when the crazies are out. You could literally end up with one coming through your windshield.
Buffaloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #5

I-85 from south of Atlanta to Charlotte is a miserable ride. Way too much traffic with too few lanes. Also, US64 through the NC mountains has lots of switchbacks that rival some of the Dragon switchbacks. There are many motorcycle friendly routes in that area, but few combination vehicle (motorhome/trailer, truck/trailer) friendly routes.
Glennabbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #6

Can't help with best route but Cherohala Skway from Robbinsville into TN is a nice drive. Check out Bald River Falls in Cherokee NF on the TN end. Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest is worth a stop.

Robbinsville back to Clyde via 143, 28, 19 and 74 to pick up I40 isn't bad.
huachuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #7

I have been over US-129/TOTD many times over a 40 year span. From my Suzuki Dr650 to my 23' motorhome.

First there is a 30' single unit or trailer restriction on TOTD. US 129 is a US highway built in the 1930's and relatively unchanged from then so it wasn't designed for the current 8'6" width trucks and motorhomes that also are often over 40' length. Your truck(pickup?) with a 20' trailer should not be problem. I went over once in a f150 pulling a 16' car trailer with no problems. There are really only two switchbacks IMO that make it hard to stay in lane with a trailer.

Camping, I like Fontana Village campground just below the Fontana Dam. Elec/water and a dump station. I stayed there twice last time was in fall 2017. It is convenient to TOTD but nothing else. It supposedly has a 30' limit but both times I camped there were several rigs well over 30' length

I last rode a bike there in fall 2014 I was on a Suzuki DR650 (dual sport) Being a real glutton for punishment we rode from Robbinsville over the Cherohala to Tellico Plains. Then TN 360 to TN 72 back to US129 and then TOTD back to Robbinsville. about 125-130 miles. Man I slept good that night! We rode the loop on a weekday with very little traffic. Since it was peak fall colors the TOTD that weekend was crowded with cagers driving slow and riders wanting to go fast. (We went off road instead)
If by chance you ride a dual sport, there is some awesome riding on the forest service roads.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I live about 20 miles from the dragon on the Tennessee side. If you're coming up from Georgia I'd recommend taking I-75 up to Lenoir City and turn onto highway 321. Follow 321 to Townsend and choose any one of a number of campgrounds. From Townsend you can ride back towards Walland on 321 and there is a scenic highway that connects 321 and 129 at the base of the dragon.

Staying in Townsend also gives you the option of a quick trip to the Smoky Mountain National Park and Gatlinburg if you desire.
Donno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #9

Thanks for the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
I have been over US-129/TOTD many times over a 40 year span. From my Suzuki Dr650 to my 23' motorhome.

First there is a 30' single unit or trailer restriction on TOTD. US 129 is a US highway built in the 1930's and relatively unchanged from then so it wasn't designed for the current 8'6" width trucks and motorhomes that also are often over 40' length. Your truck(pickup?) with a 20' trailer should not be problem. I went over once in a f150 pulling a 16' car trailer with no problems. There are really only two switchbacks IMO that make it hard to stay in lane with a trailer.

Camping, I like Fontana Village campground just below the Fontana Dam. Elec/water and a dump station. I stayed there twice last time was in fall 2017. It is convenient to TOTD but nothing else. It supposedly has a 30' limit but both times I camped there were several rigs well over 30' length

I last rode a bike there in fall 2014 I was on a Suzuki DR650 (dual sport) Being a real glutton for punishment we rode from Robbinsville over the Cherohala to Tellico Plains. Then TN 360 to TN 72 back to US129 and then TOTD back to Robbinsville. about 125-130 miles. Man I slept good that night! We rode the loop on a weekday with very little traffic. Since it was peak fall colors the TOTD that weekend was crowded with cagers driving slow and riders wanting to go fast. (We went off road instead)
If by chance you ride a dual sport, there is some awesome riding on the forest service roads.
I have no plans to taking our MH/Trailer (54' Long) or the truck/ trailer on 129, just want to ride our wings on it, then load back up and head to Nashville (Goldwing Rally), I just wanted the easiest way in and out with out causing my sefl any more headaches then it will already be..
Old 05-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #10

Our Possible route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donno View Post
I live about 20 miles from the dragon on the Tennessee side. If you're coming up from Georgia I'd recommend taking I-75 up to Lenoir City and turn onto highway 321. Follow 321 to Townsend and choose any one of a number of campgrounds. From Townsend you can ride back towards Walland on 321 and there is a scenic highway that connects 321 and 129 at the base of the dragon.

Staying in Townsend also gives you the option of a quick trip to the Smoky Mountain National Park and Gatlinburg if you desire.
Google maps had us coming in on 20 to 59 (Chatanooga) then 74
Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 AM   #11

Thanks to everyone for their input... I have found it very helpful
Old 05-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueWing View Post
I have no plans to taking our MH/Trailer (54' Long) or the truck/ trailer on 129, just want to ride our wings on it, then load back up and head to Nashville (Goldwing Rally), I just wanted the easiest way in and out with out causing my sefl any more headaches then it will already be..
Sorry I wandered off from your question. Donno's advice coming from the west would also be my preference. When I lived in Atlanta in the 1980's I use to go up that way to visit relatives in Sevierville. I would usually take I-75 to Cartersville Ga and then US 411. Looks like much of it is still a 2 lane road so that might not be the best route for you with your rig.
Looking at the aerial photos on Google Maps I would likely choose I-75 to TN exit 72 Loudon and then east on SR 72. No big hills or really sharp curves and there are 18 wheelers shown in the aerial photos. It takes you to US411 and then left over the TN River and then right on SR72 to TOTD.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
You might want to check out the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge. They have cabins as well as RV sites and tent camping sites. Absolutely beautiful resort with a lot of riding activity. Only minutes away from the Dragon

https://ironhorsenc.com/
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGlider View Post
You might want to check out the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge. They have cabins as well as RV sites and tent camping sites. Absolutely beautiful resort with a lot of riding activity. Only minutes away from the Dragon

https://ironhorsenc.com/
I have stayed there also traveling by Bike . Just far enough away from town .
Also at Fontana village
On another note , any info on the RV sites at Iron Horse ?
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote