Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
RV Parks for Yellowstone Visit

We will be visiting Yellowstone for 5 days in July and I'm trying to decide where to stay. West Yellowstone? Divide and stay at two entrances? We will be coming from Cody and then going on to see the Tetons and Jackson. Help and thanks!
Gauke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #2

We found Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone to be a great place.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #3

Yellowstone Valley Resort on the way to the East gate

Nice place
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #4

We stayed at Grizzly in West Yellowstone last summer over the 4th of July. We had a great time! Free concert and fireworks in town. You can walk around town from the park. Super close to the park gate too.
Jorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #5

If staying in Cody the above-mentioned Yellowstone Valley Resort is a nice park in a pretty setting out of the busy town but still close enough to visit Cody. You could even do a day trip into Yellowstone for some east & south exploring.

Then, if you need hookups, West Yellowstone is the best place to stay. Just drive through the park to get there. Don't go around. Leave early morning to avoid traffic & a better chance to see animals on the way. If no hookups are needed then stay IN Yellowstone itself. With our 40' MH we've stayed at Madison, Bridge Bay and Mammoth campgrounds.

If staying in West Yellowstone then to get into the Tetons just drive out the south entrance of Yellowstone into the Tetons. For hookups stay at Colter Bay RV or Headwaters RV. Without hookups we like Gros Ventre campground which is also close to Jackson for touring the town or else Colter Bay campground next to the RV park. Gros Ventre & Colter Bay campground don't accept reservations but they each have 300 very nice sites. We've never had a problem getting a site. The RV parks in Jackson are the pits. Stay in the Tetons.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've stayed at several in the West Yellowstone area including Grizzly on several occasions. Grizzly has become too pricey for me and their regulation activity is rather over the top for me. (Got accused rather warmly of parking on grass while the fellow looked right at my toad sitting all 4's on asphalt- absolutely bizarre. Never touched the grass even while parking)

Between price, difficulty in getting reservations and their hospitality I am not using them again. All that said Grizzly is perfectly maintained, handy to town, the park entrance and a really fantastic hardware store right next to them.

We have been using Valley View RV park in Island Park, Idaho just 10 minutes west of West Yellowstone. Best kept secret for setting up the RV at Yellowstone! Nothing fancy and beautiful views, well maintained. We will use it every time we return from now on.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #7

We like Grizzly.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #8

Yellowstone place to stay.

We did Yellowstone the last week of September 2018. We stayed a week and could not get a site for that time at Grizzly so stayed at the West Yellowstone KOA. We drove through Grizzly and it is VERY nicely maintained and because it is in West Yellowstone, an easy walk to anything in town. I would stay there if the price was acceptable. The KOA was maybe a 6 out of 10. The site wasn't very level and your outside space was small, even on a premium patio site. I could not open my basement door fully because it hit the fixed picnic table. The positive was that it was clean and convenient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5198.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	448.6 KB
ID:	237640  
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
You may not have very many options this late in the season. July fills up fast but my preference would be to stay in the park. No hookups but great sites at the Marina and you will be in the center of the park, Bridge Bay, Madison, or Grant Village.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #10

Grizzly all the way. Stayed at west Yellowstone KOA once and found it crowded and cramped.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #11

We have stayed at Bakers Hole CG. It's ~2 miles North of West Yellowstone on hi way 191 one the way to Bozeman. If you get reservations early you might be able to reserve one of their sites that has electricity. There is no dump station and no water connections. Bakers Hole is a Forest Service campground.......I think.

Go in with empty waste tanks and full water tank and you might be ok. The grey tank is usually the issue for us. We then dump and fill the water tank at Grizzly when we leave. It will cost you a few bucks to do that.

I forget which river borders the campground, maybe the Madison.
CCRyder 505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Many thanks to everyone. We were able to get a site at Grizzly for four nights in August just when we wanted them! We generally travel with no reservations but decided that would not be wise for this trip. Now to get the RV out of the repair facility before July! Again thanks for your help!
Gauke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Regardless of which RV Park you go to I'd suggest reconsidering your timing. The 8 weeks following the 4th of July are PEAK season and you'll be sorely frustrated by the crowds, the traffic, the bear jams and the prices.

You just can't fully imagine what Yellowstone is like in July until you've done it.

I suggest you come up with Plan B.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is my favorite place to stay near yellowstone - quiet and well kept. I second the reserve now (if you still can) recommendation.

reviews here: RedRock RV Park - Island Park, ID - Campground Reviews

park website: http://www.redrockrvpark.com/index2.html

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yellowstone