Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV parks, Forest City and Elkhart areas

In late September, we may travel to Forest City for some service and factory tour and then to Elkhart for some other upgrades. I know I can stay at the Winne factory but are there other RV parks/campgrounds in those general areas folks can recommend? We may visit Shipshewana while in the Elkhart area.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
In late September, we may travel to Forest City for some service and factory tour and then to Elkhart for some other upgrades. I know I can stay at the Winne factory but are there other RV parks/campgrounds in those general areas folks can recommend? We may visit Shipshewana while in the Elkhart area.
There is a city park just down the road from the factory in Forest City. The name escapes me but I'm sure the folks at Winn. can help you. Or try these forest city ia rv parks - Google Search

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Gary,

We're headed to the Elkhart/Middlebury KOA this wknd starting a circle route which'll end up at "The Rally" in Lousiville. I'll post a review in the Campgrounds section & have a bunch of pics in one of my albums once we're back.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Gary,

We're headed to the Elkhart/Middlebury KOA this wknd starting a circle route which'll end up at "The Rally" in Lousiville. I'll post a review in the Campgrounds section & have a bunch of pics in one of my albums once we're back.

Lori-
Thanks Lori. Forest City is set but Elkhart will depend on if we decide to plop down the $$$$ for new captain's chairs from Bradd & Hall...still considering our options. If we go to Elkhart, we will probably have at least 3 days there so will be interested in things to do in the area (other than the DW dragging me through flea markets ).
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, ya got that coach painted real purty & all, so new chairs are a given, aren't they?

We're only gonna be at the KOA for 1 full day so we're gonna spend it at the RV/MH Hall of Fame. If I woulda had another weekday, I'd have tried to get in for a Newmar factory tour. Not that we're lookin' or anything having just spent $$'s (make that $$$$'s) ordering MCD replacement shades for our Bounder cockpit (darn FMHA Rally! ).

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

In Forest City, I think the City Park looks like the best bet but we've also stayed at Three Fingers Campground about 8 miles outside of town as I remember. Nothing to brag about but 50 amp and plenty of room.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:39 AM   #7

The name of the Forest City Campground is Pammel park.We were there in May fee was $15. per nite. Each site has 50 amp service, water and sewage is available just before you enter the park. The Park is in Forest City down the road from the Visitor Center at the Plant, perhaps a quarter of a mile.
We also spent time at Elkhart there are many interesting places in Elkhart or near by. Try and pick up one of the local HandoutTravel guides when you are there.
Robert
Old 07-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
In the Elkhart area, the placed to stay is the Elkhart County 4H Fairgrounds in Goshen, IN. They have several hundred full hook-up sites, centrally located among RV factories (Jayco, Forest River, Newmar, Keystone, Gulf Stream, etc.), with lots of things to do in this beautiful country, home of the second largest Amish population in the US. You may Google the Fairgrounds and will not find a friendlier staff.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #9

We stayed at Shipshewana South when we were out there in June. It is away from the highway and very quite yet easy to get to all the factories. Nice level sites that are really well spaces (read wide) and very clean. The flea market had a small campground also but we did not stay there and it did not look as nice as Shipshewana south.
The flea market has a resturtant in the front that is very good and the one on rt20 and rt5 is also very good. We stopped at the 20/5 because we saw a bunch of the transporter guy and gals stopping there. plenty of parking.