Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
RV Parks in Western Indiana?...

I received word from my unit that I would be relocating to Terre Haute, IN here in about a month for somewhere in the realm of 17months. Rent is stupid expensive in the area (college town) and buying a house for less than two years seemed unrealistic for obvious reasons. This is then I got the bright idea to just haul my trailer out there and live in it for a little over a year. That idea was short lived when I called KOA Terre Haute and the price was $650/mo plus electric, water, and internet. That seemed crazy to me to pay over $700/mo after all is said and done to live in my trailer. I called a few other places but only found a few sites online and they all seem to be seasonal, not open through the winter. (I do have a winter package on my trailer) Does anyone know any good parks (somewhat) near Terre Haute (almost dead center off I-70 bordering IL) that are open year round with reasonable rates? I also have a few guys from my unit that have farms, and considered renting their driveways, but that seems like it may become a pain without the proper hookups. My trailer is 40ft with 3 slideouts, so does require a little space. Maybe living in my trailer isn't feasible and I should just go back to the drawing board. I'm trying to not kill my measly E-4 paycheck on living expenses... Thanks for any help in advance.

HotRodRoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Most all campgrounds in the region are seasonal. You might think about some of the other campgrounds from April to November. In November move to the KOA until April. It might average out better that way. Also, if in the area, you'll be able to perhaps find a better spot for the winter.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:24 AM   #3
Thanks for the welcome! That's another option I was looking into but more in a 'worst case scenario' kind of option. I guess that's the trouble with the mid-west.
HotRodRoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:09 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
A apartment may be cheaper then buying all the LP to keep warm and pipes from freezing/bursting in a RV.

Apartments for Rent from $356
up in Terry Haute area
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #5
Happy Traveler : )

I would find a private property/land site for cheap, and have 30a or 50a supply run for your coach. Even though it's an expense on the front end, it would probably be much cheaper in the 17 months of stay - plus then the owner has an rv hookup for the future...
: )
The Turners 2014 Thor Palazzo DP 33.3 35' Bunkhouse
BlueOx, '14 Ford Fiesta, DishHD, KingTailgater2, WifiRanger
50k+miles, 200+ parks, 47 states&Canada provinces, since Aug'14
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:03 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Roland,

If you are active duty you get BAH, the rates for Terre Haute are:

With Dependents:$981

Without Dependents: $765

Plus, without housing supplied you get additional BAS.

I only know of an Air National Guard base open in Terre Haute.

If you are a weekend warrior, I believe they supply some kind of housing for the weekend but of course, check with them.

There is also a seasonal camp ground in Oaktown, IN, just south of TH, which may be cheaper than a KOA. May give a military discount.

Oaktown, IN Campground Reviews - Best of Oaktown Camping - RV Park Reviews

Also, check out state parks - there is one on Rockville, IN, Hardin Lake I believe is the name, but they may limit your time spent at one time. Check to see if the base has a small Fam Camp or help with finding housing.

You'll be fine - "Overcome and adapt".

Yes, Terre Haute is expensive as it is a college town - bit go north or south a short distance and you are in farm land.

If I can be of further assistance, just ask or PM me.

Angie & Glenn, and the boss: Haddington the Airedale
2017 Newmar Canyon Star 40', FMCA, NKK - Home based in the Heartland of America: Brownsburg, In 🌽🌽 🏁 Retired Army Sergeant Major
My home town: Brooklyn, New York
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
Check out Turkey Run State Park about 20 minutes north of Terre Haute.
I've only tent camped there, but it sure is peaceful.

Best of luck!
Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
Some mobile home parks have sites available for RVs. You might even find a mobile home for rent.

Keep in mind that even though you have a 'winter package' for your RV, you'll still need help keeping it warm. Your propane bill for a winter may surprise you.

Good luck!
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
I grew up just north of Terre Haute and I think you will be darned cold staying in an RV during an Indiana winter. The cost of propane will be very high. We have property north of Terre Haute and we leave early November to avoid the freezing temps (we are full timers). You could try finding an apartment in Clinton, about 15 miles north of Terre Haute. The rent may be cheaper there. It would be an easy drive.

jpharley is online now   Reply With Quote