Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 01:57 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
I find that campgrounds use the word "Resort" very loosely. My idea of a resort envisions highly manicured landscaping, world class restaurants, Olympic sized pools, and be associated with a golf course or marina. All sites would be on minimum 35 X 60 foot concrete non cracked pads with views of fountains, lakes, rivers, or well maintained golf courses. There would be paved roads throughout the park with curbs and sidewalks, a large fenced of dog run for pets to roam freely, with supervision of course. There would be live entertainment onsite or adjacent to the resort. I have yet to find one, but some that charge $80+ per night come close. I prefer to camp in state & federal campgrounds and stay in public campgrounds to dump holding tanks and restock water supplies. Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 03:30 AM   #30

I thought State and Federal campgrounds had a 30ft limit on RV's?
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Most state campgrounds - in the west at least - can accommodate larger rigs. Some federal do also. And we often squeeze into 30' max parks with our 32' class A without trouble - other than an occasional scrape with branches.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:46 AM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
It's not so much a hard rule as it is due to the age of the State and National park campgrounds, many of which date back to the CCC, at least here in the East. The pads just were not made that large and power was not an issue like it is these days.

I can't speak to the original poster on the concept of 'resort' other than to say that I would tend to agree. If something says resort I expect to pay quite a bit more and get quite a bit more than a standard experience...

- Randy
Old 03-27-2014, 07:13 AM   #33

For us it depends on what we're planning to do. If we're on the road, a campground is fine with us. If we plan on staying a few months, we look for a place with space between sites and concrete pads, and some amenities, like a fitness center or pool. Like right now, we've been here in Silver Springs, FL. since Nov. in Wilderness RV Resort which has everything we need for this long a stay. I will say though this is the longest we've ever stayed in one place, and probably will never stay this long again. We leave next week for the slow trip north which will be fine with us because we really have itchy feet to get going again.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knagy2688 View Post
Hello fellow travelers,

Is that not the benefit of having an RV?
I think you answered your own question.
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #35

Thank you for all of your responses. I am not a big fan of Facebook, Twitter and all those other social media tools that my kids use, but I love this site and find the information very useful. Props to the developers.
Knagy2688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
Someone told me that has changed in most State and Federal campgrounds, is this true and do they like come out and measure your rig?

Thanks

Tom
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #37

We have never run across a 30' limit or getting measured at state parks - or even national parks. Each park is different so check each one out before going.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We have never run across a 30' limit or getting measured at state parks - or even national parks. Each park is different so check each one out before going.
If you ever find yourself in north Georgia, take a ride up to Black Rock Mountain State Park. They have a 25' limit. It's not because of the site size but due to ones driving ability negotiating the roadway. The switchbacks getting up there are so tight, the inside mountain wall shortens up any oversized units.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #39

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Most state park websites will list the max RV length for each site, others will state a max length for the whole park in general. Just to use Vermont as an example. There are some that state "No RV's or trailers" just tents. But others have sites for 40' rigs. But in general Vermont State Parks run the full range of site sizes, but tend to have very few for the larger rigs. Their website give a good discription of each site along with a photo of each site.

Another example, Mammoth Caves National Park Campground in KY. They have 5 loops. One loop is just for tents. The others will fit some 40' 5ers or rigs. A 45' may be an issue. Again they have them listed either: tent only, up to 18' RV, up to 30' RV or up to 40' RV. I think a 45' rig might have some tree issues around the corners.

If your a 35' or larger rig, you would just have to pay a little more attention when making a reservation. Being only a 25' tt, I worry more about a site being level, especially to a place I have never been to before. Parks are getting better at giving better individual site description than years ago. Many now are also providing a photo of each site.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
If you ever find yourself in north Georgia, take a ride up to Black Rock Mountain State Park. They have a 25' limit. It's not because of the site size but due to ones driving ability negotiating the roadway. The switchbacks getting up there are so tight, the inside mountain wall shortens up any oversized units.
Oh yes, I know some parks have a limit but the original statemnet by Billy seemed to imply that he thought ALL state and national parks have a 30' limit which isn't true.

Our 40' fits in many, many state and national parks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #41

When a tent or popup with 18 drunken college kids on spring break sets up next to you in the "campground", you will better appreciate the "RV Resort".
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Same for us as some others stated: depends on purpose. If we want to stay and relax and take some trails, campfires, etc. we prefer campgrounds for sure. To catch up on laundry and quick overnight stops we definitely prefer RV parks - which seem to normally be close to the main highways. Before I completely retired (was retired from VA and kept teaching a little for a local college) I depended on Internet connection and RV Parks almost always better in that score. But now I just enjoy having the Internet but not so important.

For us it depends on purpose. To each their own.