Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #1

RV Resort in Florida Panhandle

Hello to all! I've been a long-time lurker on this site and have always enjoyed reading about everybody else's experiences. Previously, we have used our RV for weekend camping at local campgrounds, and for hauling cars to out-of-town drag races. This year our family has decided to take our RV on a week-long beach vacation!

We live in the Dayton, OH, area and are interested in vacationing on the Florida panhandle but aren't sure what area to visit. We were first looking at Destin, but have heard the area is becoming a little "touristy" and expensive. We are just looking for a sea-side CG where we can cop-a-squat on the beach for about a week. We aren't interested in clubs, bars, or shopping. Maybe just a nice little restaurant to get some fresh seafood (not something we get much here in OH!) and a few activities for the kids, who will be 7 and 10 and the time of our vacation. Can anybody recommend a great place for us to visit? We probably could have a tow vehicle but prefer not to so a community where we could walk or bicycle would be great for us. I'm not asking for too much am I?

Also, we could vacation in May, June, or July. Any suggestions on what time is best?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give this newbie family!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #2

Topsail Hill Preserve State Park

We recently stayed at this state park and it worked out great. Not far from Destin but on a great beach with no condos, lots of activities etc. it has a separate RV "resort" within the park.
Welcome to Florida State Parks

Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
X10. We are at TopSail and it is super. Beautiful nature walk to the beach. While cool this AM, I was the only person walking the beach...it was so peaceful; one person had been there earlier and was gone. We went into Destin and FWB to shop and look around. Everything that is Destin is eight miles away.

It is peaceful, quiet...paved...a little expensive , but IMO worth it.

I hear Carrabelle Beach Resort is nice; I'll be looking at it later this week, just for future reference.

Sorry, not more as I'm headed to watch a quiet , peaceful sunset out over the gulf.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
srh

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a Class A MH, I would recommend Bella Terra RV Resort, in Foley, AL. A little pricey, but definitely worth it. We were there last April for eleven days it gorgeous. Every day was in the high 70s, no rain during the entire eleven days!
Happy Traveling,
Old 01-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #5

Thanks for your posts! We will definitely be checking out TopSail. I did look at the website for Bella Terra too. What a beautiful place! We do have a class A but unfortunately our rig is too old for their requirements.

How nice to be thinking of beach walks and sunsets right now. With the wind chill our temperature has been about 15 below the last 2 days, and now it has warmed up so we are starting to look at snow and freezing rain out the window. COME ON, VACATION!!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #6

If you want easy beach access, topsail. If you want resort, nice pool, Emerald Coast RV Resort Panama City. Behind the zoo. You can hear the lions roar at feeding time.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #7

We just left Navarre Beach RV Park. It was very nice. The beach on the sound was nothing to write home about, but the real Navarre Beach and the Gulf of Mexico is just across the from the sound and is beautiful. We paid $50/night, but we noticed a new CG just west that was also on the sound and was offering $39/night, I guess to build up business.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we headed south in december from central PA...staying in New Port Richey...best winter we ever had!!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #9

Mexico Beach (east of Panama City) is a nice area. You want beach? I mean a lot of beach? Google St. Joseph State Park (about two hours east of Panama City). We love St Joe State Park.

We live in the Panhandle between Crestview and DeFuniak Springs. If we can be of any assistance we're glad to help. And if your going by exit 70 (Mossy Head) on I-10, overnight guests are welcome at our place with 30A service and water hook up. And you can park overnight at the RV dealer at exit 70 with all night security guard (ask me how I know that one).
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #10

Thanks so much to everyone for responding! Well I did check out Topsail and it looks like they are booked full for the dates we are available :( I guess I will have to jump on those sites early for next year. I can't wait to check out the other suggestions made.

SteveCal, I can not thank you enough for your offer of hospitality! I really love this RV community <3 And I'm not sure I WANT to know the story behind your knowledge of the RV dealer.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KainFamily View Post
Thanks so much to everyone for responding! Well I did check out Topsail and it looks like they are booked full for the dates we are available :( I guess I will have to jump on those sites early for next year. I can't wait to check out the other suggestions made.

SteveCal, I can not thank you enough for your offer of hospitality! I really love this RV community <3 And I'm not sure I WANT to know the story behind your knowledge of the RV dealer.
I own the security company that guards the dealership. I spend a night there time to time 'shopping.' LOL.

PM on its way.
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #12

Here's a review I did on Topsail and Grayton Beach for another site:

Topsail and Grayton Beach State Parks - in Florida Panhandle - Fiberglass RV

Other really nice state parks on beaches in the Panhandle include St. Joseph Peninsula, St. George Island, and (in Alabama) Gulf State Park. Fort Pickens is a national park that is also on the beach, part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. Big Lagoon State Park is also very nice but isn't right on the gulf, it's on a bay, but still very nice and convenient to all of the great attractions around Pensacola. Unfortunately, you will need to drive to restaurants from any of these parks. If you want a really nice place to camp that is on a river, but still within driving distance to the beaches you can go to the campgrounds in the Blackwater River State Forest, (which includes the Blackwater River State Park). Here you will almost always find campsites available except for popular weekends. Here's a review I did for the Blackwater River campsites:

Blackwater River State Park and State Forest - Fiberglass RV
Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Gulf rv park.

Take a look at. Camp Gulf. Rights on hwy 98 in destin. We stay the month of nov. they have around 800sites but the best are on the beach. You pull in so when you open your front blinds all you see is sand and the gulf no sewer in these sites but they have a honey wagon. You may need a extension for elec. because water and elec. is in front of rv. Very nice place.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #14

I think Gulf State Park, Gulf Shores, Alabama would fit your requirements very well. Nice biking, beautiful beach to bike or walk to, can bike into the town for ice cream, meals and groceries, it has a pool and nice large campsites with full hook-ups. It's a winner!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida