Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
RV sites near DC area Sept-Dec

Driving my mountain aire from Boise, ID to DC the first week of September to spend 4 months with my military son and family in the DC area. I've done some searching online but the RV parks seem far and few between. Any ideas? Would like to be within 20-30 of DC area. My son is stationed at Ft. Belvoir.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. A private spot on a monthly rental basis would be great with all hookup (water, sewer & 50 amp service). Thanks for any suggestions.

"It is what it is...forward ho!

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BXS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does Ft. Belvoir have a Family Camp Ground he can get you into?

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
If you are military, the least expensive is Solomons Naval Recreation Center (NRC) in Maryland. It is about 65 miles from FT Belvoir, however you will find it excellent for your time-frame. The off season begins October and ends April 1st. I spent several winters in a Winnebago Vectra an the NRC and recommend taking precautions to prevent water lines from freezing. Your son can visit and will certainly enjoy the relaxed atmosphere at the NRC. Call the NRC at 410 286 7302 until you reach a live person. Keep calling until you reach a member of the NRC staff...avoid any contact with Navy Gateways, much confusion, and the interface will leave you unhappy and frustrated.
pavepaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cherry Hill Park is the Closest Campground to Washington, DC :|: Cherry Hill Park

We stayed at Cherry Hill and were quite happy.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
X2. We've stayed there a few times. Bus comes to CG that takes you to the train that goes to DC.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
X3 on Cherry Hill. The only place I will stay in DC.
2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Gary1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Gary1965 View Post
X3 on Cherry Hill. The only place I will stay in DC.
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
DC area camps

I have camped with my 40ft motorhome at Fort Meade. They have a nice military CG. I was there in the summer and it wasn't full. Check out Camp Meade.
Dave & Debbie
2014 Anthem 44B
2012 Jeep Rubicon toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
DC campgrounds

Greenville Farm Family Campground is about 34 miles to the west....stayed there a few times , it always worked for us.
07 Kountry Aire
b.w.duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
Prince William Forest is approximately 15 miles south of Ft. Belvoir. Other than Aquia Pines in Stafford (30-45 minutes south) and the KOA in Fredericksburg (1 hour south), there are no other choices. Soloman's Island is a l-o-n-g way from Belvoir and any Maryland campground leaves you with a traffic problem.
jim0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
x3 Cherry Hill for the DC area, but cost for 4 months might be prohibitive, and it's 45+ minutes to Ft. Belvoir if no rush hour traffic. We did this last year, but only for 6 days, and our objectives were 1) visit DC and 2) visit family at Ft. Belvoir. Couldn't find anything suitable or more convenient south of DC. You did not indicate that you were military, so you are probably not eligible for on-base at a FamCamp. Keep looking, someone here will provide the information you need.
Kent & Sue & Pecos
2010 Allegro Bus 43QRP
Formerly 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #12
We just stayed in Cherry Hill in March. It was great. Hubby and I took the bus (along with our 4 kids) to the Metro and into DC daily. That got a bit pricey but saved us a lot of hassle towing and parking in DC.
Staff was great.
5xhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
I have never stayed there, but Andrews AFB has a campground. Don't know if you son can get you a spot there or not. Reasonably close to Fort Belvoir. Does Fort Belvoir have a campground that will let you camp there?
CB1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
We stayed at the Duncan Family Campground just 3 weeks ago and it was great. The sites are decent sized, the shower/bath houses are individually private, convenient laundry area, a dog park. It is near enough in town, but wooded enough to feel out a ways. Easy drive to Union Station. Best of all, free wifi for the techies!

MzZorro is offline   Reply With Quote