Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #1

RV trip planned

We are planning to go to Vancouver Washington in May from Santa Maria California. We prefer I5, but are thinking of starting out on 101 and staying at Salinas KOA for first night. We really need advice on best RV parks with full hookups to stay along the way. We have a 30’ class C Freedom Elite towing a small Toyota truck. One place we would like to stay is Mt Shasta KOA. We don’t like to travel too far each day. Basically, 275-350 miles. We like to stop around 3 pm for the night. We would appreciate any and all suggestions. Our friends in Vancouver are 2 miles from I 5 and they have RV hookups. Thank you very much.
6jsgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #2

Lots of places on I-5.....7 Feathers is a nice place in Canyonville....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Seconds Seven Feathers in Canyonville, OR. Rolling Hills in Corning,CA is an option as well.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:23 AM   #4

We will be coming down from Vancouver, BC to Central Ca in mid July. We booked at Mt Shasta KOA Because it was at the right distance for us since like you, we only travel <350 miles per day. Read this from the KOA Page, “Train buffs and children love being on the train route, but light sleepers can request complimentary earplugs.” Also read the reviews and it seems they have a goose poop issue. But we’re ok with that. I hope the train doesn’t keep me up and I hope I don’t step in goose poop but we’re going there anyway. We are also planning on staying in Jantzen Beach RV park just outside of Vancouver WA. Hoping it is a nice park.
Looks like if you are going to Salinas, Mt Shasta City, and then Vancouver, you don’t need any more stops if I calculated correctly.
One thing that concerns me is the traffic through Portland getting to Vancouver. Been stuck there multiple times in bad traffic. Going to try to time it better this time.
We’ve been on the route up 5 many times and it should be a breeze (other than Portland) Have a great trip.
TeamReif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

We have stayed there and love it. The train is loud though. Across the road are the falls where you can take your containers and collect fresh cold water. It’s a beautiful place.
6jsgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #6

The city park in Mt Shasta is the place where the water comes right out of the mountain and many collect water there.
Going north some rv park suggestions: Betabel RV Park, San Juan Batista; Red Bluff RV Park, Red Bluff (about 1 mile east of I-5); X2 on Seven Feathers.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #7

Why not take 101 all the way up? Lots of awesome state parks along the Oregon shores and plenty of RV parks. It sure beats the interstate where you don't see anything.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote