Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Planner

Can someone recommend a good RV trip planning website or software? The Good Sam service is frustrating, way too slow and there's no way to save your itinerary to edit at a later date...I would prefer a planner that is made for rv travel...thanks for any info
HappyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Happy RV,

I plan our trips by a few methods. I use Microsoft Streets & Trips to plan my route ahead of time, usually the night before travel. I look deeply at the route and make sure that there are no hidden items that I need to be aware of. If I'm getting off the Interstate, I'll check the AITA online low clearance web for any surprised along the way. I never rely on my GPS without looking on a map. To many horror stories of dead ends, wrong turns, etc., so the GPS is a secondary tool after I know which route I am taking.

For RV Campgrounds I use Bing Maps. You can also use Yahoo maps. I will type in the area of concern to me, lets say for this instance a city, and when the map comes up with the city I will type into the map search window, "RV Park" without the quotes. That will populate the map with RV parks. Unfortunately it will also populate some information that some people want you to think there is an RV park. However, I can click on one of the little RV Park items and dig deeper into what they have to offer. I will use the RV Park Review web site to try and determine how others view the RV Park, taking into considerations variables. Or, I'll ask, if there is time, on a forum for any one's experience at the RV Park.

There are other clubs that offer route planning and you can search on those items. One that comes to mind is Passport America If you are not a member and decided to join PPA, let me know and I'll provide my PPA number for reference (and credit)

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to PugPug
sTREETS AND TRIPS BY MICROSOFT
PugPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:13 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks!

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #5

RV Trip Planner - Streets & Trips

There is a free download you can get to give it a try it is on www.microsoft.com/streets
Babz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #6

Will Microsoft Streets let you customize the vehicle as to height, weight, length, etc.
OSP1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Apparently the new version of S&T is coming out next month (Feb)...for those of you just on the cusp of buying. We're holding out for that one.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
Will Microsoft Streets let you customize the vehicle as to height, weight, length, etc.
Not that I have found, unless they hid it. I hope the new one has that feature. For $30, I don't think they will add it.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Please....

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSP1268 View Post
oops...I didn't read very closely.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #10

I think I'm using the best software made specifically for your purposes. It is the TRAILER LIFE DIRECTORY CAMPGROUND NAVIGATOR. I'm using the 2008 version and see no need to change. It does everything including trip journals and picture entries along your route. I used it to plan a trip from NY to Alaska. If you get the latest version is has full descriptions of campground including the latest fees along your route. A warning. The first day of the trip, we started out later than the time planned. By the time we got to Wisconsin, my attempting to "catch up" to the schedule was making major friction with the missus. In Wisconsin I abandoned the three months of planning and from that day forward it was pure bliss. If we liked what we saw we stayed. The software is flawless but a schedule does weigh upon you on a long trip. We took our time and four months later were glad to not be burdened by a schedule. The software was not at fault. It does everything you would expect and is designed for the purpose. Very well thought out. You can even modify your speed, expected gas prices, mpg city or highway and many more parameters. It even understand and displays grades and knows if a motorhome can negotiate a specific road. Good luck.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Thanks Woodydel....I have looked at their online version...they have been working on it since December and it's apparently close to being released...it does look like a great planning tool....we are definitly not planning on following the schedule to a "T"...but feel we need some sort of plan....once we are on the road gps in our vehicles and the good old Woodall's Camping guide never let us down! BTW..for anyonr planning a road trip, whether by car or rv...Roadtripamerica.com looks like a great planning tool also....There's alot of info on attractions across the country!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We normally use Rand McNally's Tripmaster which is like Streets & Trips to get a general idea where I want to go and to tweak the way I want to go a little.
When we went to Alaska I used CoachNet as my trip planner. They sent me the trip the way I wanted to go plus they sent me all the brochures and maps that I would need for the trip.
I did not follow their time schedule as I had 3 months planned for the trip and I used it all up too.
If you went to the Good Sam website to plan your trip you can print it out and it even gives you gas prices and when to fuel up.
Enjoy and have a safwe trip!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 AM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
Rand McNally and Good Sam are both great choices, unfortunately both the sites are in the process of updating....and apparently the process will take quite a few weeks (they started this the beginning of December!)....right now there is no way to save your route on either site....I am waiting for Trailer Life Directory/Good Sam (they are both using the same route planning) to be up and running!