Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #1

RVing and Wine

Am planning a week or two of RVing in CA and looking for some recommendations for some good RV Resorts/Parks within Wine Country.
Our plan would be too stay at the Resort/Park and do 3 or 4 days of wine tours.
Would drive toad to tours. Planning on Feb. or March trip.
Looking in either Napa area or possibly Paso Robles area.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advanced....Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
In Paso, look at Wine Country RV Park. Paso Robles CA | Lodging

Napa and Sonoma have gone snooty(read high priced) so we don't go there anymore.

There is Pechanga RV Resort in Temecula https://www.pechanga.com/sections/other/pages/rvresort

Lots of wineries around Pechanga to keep you busy. We used to fly hot air balloons over the area years ago,

Old 02-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #3

I've read here about a self-guided wine tour where you may dry camp at the wineries. I forget what it's called.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:01 AM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Might try Calistoga RV Park | RV Camping in California Wine Country We stayed there for a few days. Nothing fancy but was good enough. As far as restroom, showers I can't say as like my own. Gravel pads but level. Never was in office as they were closed when we arrived and just smiled and waved on way out. Half mile, likely less, into town. Don't know about winery stuff, not our thing.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:26 AM   #5

https://harvesthosts.com

Let me know if you use them. We are planning on joining, figure it will be an incredible experience.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:06 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbarr View Post
Am planning a week or two of RVing in CA and looking for some recommendations for some good RV Resorts/Parks within Wine Country.
Just commenting about the wine: much like when you picked your RV, start first with what you like and want.

Some wineries are better at reds than whites and vice versa. Some are fun places like Coppola (yes the director) and Hess (art museum) with some very nice wines, some are really cool places like Duckhorn and Ferrari-Carrano with great wines. Many places right in Napa are just the front end to big volume producers...

One of my best experiences was at Kenwood years ago. We lucked out and had one of the winemakers talk us thru how to really taste the wine and learn something. The most important point is that we had a great talk with someone who knew what they were doing and really loved wine. We learned a ton!

If you have the time I also strongly suggest Sonoma, Alexander Valley area (J, Jordan, many great others), and Silverado Trail. I have a soft spot for Stags Leap - lots of great wineries on the Trail.

Net: you'll have a great time, pace yourself, and be picky about where you go. It's been a few years since we've been there but we put to use everyday what we learned....
Old 02-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #7

We stayed here in 2013 Wine Country RV Park This is located right in the city of Rohnert Park. Were attending a car club convention and this park was closest to the convention hotel. However:

I had reserved a 50 ft. pull through for our motorhome and race car trailer, but upon arrival were led to a 30 ft. back-in. After some "negotiation" we were offered the only open site in this small park; at the end of the center row where I was able to crab the rig into the space. We left with the car trailer every day then returned each night. The park exit route was very tight and had trailer tongues from seasonal residents hanging into the road so extreme care was needed to use the single lane exit.

The park website doesn't have a park map, so look on Google Earth to view the layout. If your rig can fit, the location is central to lots of Napa and Sonoma attractions. They are a Passport America park.

Edit: just noticed this has the same name as a park mentioned in an earlier post in Paso Robles. The website for the park I discussed is still active, so I have no idea about the other one of the same name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbarr View Post
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:24 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will second Wine Country RV park in Paso Robles, have stayed there several times. Over 250 wineries within 20 miles. Just up Airport Rd, where the park is located, is J Lohr, a great winery. Also several wineries on Hwy 46 which runs past the Park. My favorite is Opolo winery, harder to get to but worth the drive. Also try Castoro and Peachy Canyon, just west of Paso on Hwy 46. Check in the office for winery info and maps.

Glenn
Old 02-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

For Napa: Napa Valley Expo RV park. Biking distance to downtown Napa. Nice facility. Some people consider the camp host gruff, but we have always had a nice stay. Do not try to enter from the south (driving north) on Silverado Trail!! There is a lamppost in the center of the entrance that makes that left turn next to impossible. Check ahead on the web for tasting fees at specific wineries you want to visit - it's not like the "old days".

Calistoga RV is a parking lot with trees next to the fairgrounds. Never stayed there, but it is in a good location in town to visit wineries and restaurants. Could never get hold of anyone on the phone there.

For Paso: Wine Country RV on 46 or Vines RV Resort on 101. There is another on 101 called something like Paso Robles RV (haven't tried it). Wine Country has some nice spots if you can do a short back in. If you want to spend the money, there are a few very nice premium spots on the hill overlooking the lower part of the park. Be aware many of their longer spots are side by side spots; some are butt to butt. If you go to Vines RV, get a pull thru. We had a back in, and even though they say they are 65' (if I remember right), it barely fit our 42' with our jeep diagonal in front of it. Plus the back ins were narrow, so with our slides out, we felt we didn't have room to enjoy sitting outside. The pull thrus would work, though. Nice pool and spa and bar room with pool table.

If you go to Paso, we recommend Ecluse winery for Zin and Cabs and a very nice visit with the owners, Steve and Pam. And Justin for good wines (although much further out in the hills). And LeVigne for great wine and cheese or wine and chocolate tasting pairings!

Paso has a feel like Sonoma used to have, with many rustic, small wineries. There are definitely your larger estate feel wineries, too. We frequent Paso as it is on one of our north to south routes, and we find it low key and friendly.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #10

X2 - Napa Valley Expo RV park and you can take in San Francisco, too.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #11

Thanks for all the good recommendations. Maybe we will meet you at a future wine tasting. Thanks again....Bob

Tags
rving