Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2004, 03:24 PM   #1

Planning for spring break 05. Would like to know recommendations for the Keys. 2 early teen girls and a small dog to consider...

let me know your preferred campground...assuming they are still around after this hurricane season...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2004, 03:24 PM   #2

Planning for spring break 05. Would like to know recommendations for the Keys. 2 early teen girls and a small dog to consider...

let me know your preferred campground...assuming they are still around after this hurricane season...
Old 10-03-2004, 03:00 PM   #3

Hello!
My wife Michele and I stayed at the KOA Resort in Fiesta Key. Great place but I can almost bet they are booked Feb and March for 2005.
Good Luck!
We called last week to make reservations for Dec and Jan 04/05
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:12 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
WE stayed at the KOA and Bluewater Key. There is more to do at the KOA but if you want a Super Site then Bluewater Key is the place. The photo on my sig is our camp site there.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:01 PM   #5

I agree with Bluewater Keys. Beautiful. Only 14 miles to Key West. Spend the money it is worth it.

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:12 AM   #6

Thanks,
I'll try these 2. Disney is all booked up...Must be because some of the snow birds do not leave until April and spring break is earlier in 2005...
Old 11-11-2004, 02:57 AM   #7

Howdy neighbor, and fellow Winne owner (2004 31Y Adventurer, Michigan license WNEBAGO)

Been to the Keys alot. Wife's parents winter there. Been to Disney even more, since 1974.

Couple thoughts:

Keep trying on Disney. There are always cancellations, and it's worth the effort. Some helpful Disney links:
Disneycampers.com
Disboards.com (camping section)
mousesavers.com

Lake Griffin State park makes a great first night destination. It's about 45 minutes North of Disney. Shortens the drive from Michigan just a little, and it's like $15, not a big deal to miss it, if the drive down gets screwed up. Last time we did that it was perfect. Nice quiet dinner, campfire, good nights sleep, and off to Epcot bright and early the next day. After a morning at Epcot, we checked in at Fort Wilderness.

Keys:

Three state parks:
John Pennekamp
Long Key
Bahia Honda

At Long Key all the sites are right on the ocean, awesome. All can be reserved at reserveamerica.com, same game as Disney sometimes, keep trying. It'll list some max lengths, but we had no problem pushing it, especially since we have no toad. We've only stayed at the State Parks, it's the kind of camping we enjoy most. There is no overnight parking anywhere in the Keys, at least according to the signs. Marathon is like any other small town, K-mart, Home Depot, etc. Parking lots look tempting sometimes, and you see folks parked overnight, but it isn't supposed to be allowed. Haven't talked to the local law though, maybe there's some leeway.

Have fun. This will be the first year in about 5 we won't be able to go down. Baby #1 is due in 4 weeks, we aren't going anywhere for a while!

Tim.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 02:50 PM   #8

We stayed at Sugarloaf Key KOA last year at March Break and might go back this year. It is closer to Key West and has a small beach that you can swim at. At Fiesta Key you have to go down some steps to the water. Both are nice.
Pete.

2005 Shadow Cruiser T-160
pmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:45 AM   #9

LandHo:

Any progress on your Florida planning?

Tim.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LandHo:
Disney is all booked up... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We got Disney from 1/18 - 1/28, 05.

One of the guys I work with bought a house close to Ft. Myers and he said they have a high speed ferry that goes out to Key West in about 2 hours from Ft. Myers. This might be something we'd like to do. It certainly would be a great way to spend a day. I figure we'll camp someplace close to Myers and go and do the ferry ride.

What's that place called where Hemmingway hung out.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 09:45 AM   #11

Sloppy Joes.....ah yes best frozen drinks on Duval Street. And you can buy them and walk outside too. They are in nice plastic cups. Boy do I wish we were there.

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #12

We too stayed at Bluewater Key in Florida. My wife and I went last July. We made it from Valencia, California to Key West Florida in 4 days. I was born in Key West, but now live in California. We visit every year since we own a timeshare through Hyatt in Key West. We just thought we would go for a **** of a road trip that year in our new motorhome. I would do it again but I would need at least 30 days off work. It was 4 days there and back. Plus 11 days in Key West for a total of 19 days. Needless to say I was exhausted when we got back.

8.1 litre
simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:26 PM   #13

Here is a picture of Long Key state park. I recommend this park or if you want a little more, Blue Water is super. Of course super comes with a price.
At Long Key the water is very shallow and would be great for small children.

2005 Carriage Compass 30 RLS
floridacamper is offline   Reply With Quote