Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

RVing in Yellowstone National Park

My wife and I and our two dogs are planning on a trip to the national parks this summer. We made the trip last year as well but, this year, Yellowstone is on the agenda. Does anyone have suggestions for a good campground at Yellowstone for a 32-foot Class C Redhawk? Full hookups would be preferred but electric and water only would work fine.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2018, 03:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschocken View Post
My wife and I and our two dogs are planning on a trip to the national parks this summer. We made the trip last year as well but, this year, Yellowstone is on the agenda. Does anyone have suggestions for a good campground at Yellowstone for a 32-foot Class C Redhawk? Full hookups would be preferred but electric and water only would work fine.

Thanks.
We went to Yellowstone this past July and everything was full. We came from the grand Teton and got there early in the day and parked the motorhome at the welcome center and drove the tow around Yellowstone. Good luck to you.
jjcrawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #3

another thread on this forum; Camping locations

campgrounds in and around Yellowstone

Lotsa info
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschocken View Post

Thanks.
We’re going this August and made reservations at Fishing Bridge for our 34 Ft class A because we wanted full hookups. Was warned that the water pressure is extremely high so bring a reducer. Mixed reviews on the campground. Have fun.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Made our reservations for August at Fishing Bridge two months ago. This will be our second time at Fishing Bridge. Sites are close together but it is manageable and the campground is centrally located if you wanted to add a day trip to the Grand Tetons which is what we did last time there. This summer I have 3 nights at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone and Two nights at Colter Bay in the Tetons. The last time I was there (2013) they received approval for a cell tower at Fishing Bridge so we should have a good cell connection.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmat View Post
Made our reservations for August at Fishing Bridge two months ago. This will be our second time at Fishing Bridge. Sites are close together but it is manageable and the campground is centrally located if you wanted to add a day trip to the Grand Tetons which is what we did last time there. This summer I have 3 nights at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone and Two nights at Colter Bay in the Tetons. The last time I was there (2013) they received approval for a cell tower at Fishing Bridge so we should have a good cell connection.
We've never been to Yellowstone before and we have the same plans. A few days in Colter Bay then a few days at Fishing Bridge. We're looking forward to it.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:08 AM   #7

Fishing Bridge is the ONLY CG in Yellowstone with hookups. If you like staying in a gravel parking lot within arms reach of the next unit - this is your place! The only benefit I see to staying there is that you get free showers every other day, I believe and you have quick access to the laundromat, if needed. Beyond that, there is no other thing that attracts me to it. Have never stayed there, but used the facilities this past August.
Robmat - see that you are towing a 2008 Sahara (same as me). Pretty good chance you may not have enough room to park the Jeep in your site as a space is a real issue at Fishing Bridge.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #8

Two summers ago, we first stayed in private campground at edge of W Yellowstone with full hookups as our home base while we took daily trips into different areas of park. Many of the campgrounds in the park do not take reservations and I wanted to stay at least one night in the park. Staying where we did enabled us to make a short trip when we left W Yellowstone to the Mammoth campground at N entrance.We were able to get in line early enough to get a pull through spot for our 32ft MH with toad. Wonderful views and wild life visits, not on top of neighbors either. Had to shut generator off at 9pm, but were comfortable for the one night.
Most expensive campgrounds on our 7000mi trip were the ones in W Yellowstone; but, loved it!
Old 01-15-2018, 08:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
Fishing Bridge is the ONLY CG in Yellowstone with hookups. If you like staying in a gravel parking lot within arms reach of the next unit - this is your place! The only benefit I see to staying there is that you get free showers every other day, I believe and you have quick access to the laundromat, if needed. Beyond that, there is no other thing that attracts me to it. Have never stayed there, but used the facilities this past August.
Robmat - see that you are towing a 2008 Sahara (same as me). Pretty good chance you may not have enough room to park the Jeep in your site as a space is a real issue at Fishing Bridge.
Gravel parking lot? Sites are paved.
Arms reach to neighbor? There's at least a grass strip and TREES.
Room to park the vehicle? Parking is done next to the RV.... plenty of room.

Although we've never stayed there we have driven through a few times. (We go for the no hookup campgrounds) Even a 40' would fit on some sites. We've seen them. We've seen plenty of RV parks with 'true' parking lots - absolutely no trees or grass. Fishing Bridge is not like that.

Also, I understand that it's best to call for reservations rather than doing it online.

https://www.yellowstonenationalparkl...ridge-rv-park/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Gravel parking lot? They're paved.
If I remember right, at Fishing Bridge campground the front loop section has paved roads. The back loops, the roads are gravel. Meaning the back loop campsites there was a good deal of dust being kicked up from gravel roads. Yes, FB is the only campground inside Yellowstone with electric and sewer. Personally not my type of camping. I really like the Madison campground.

We spent a week each at both Bridge Bay and Madison last May / June. I would do it all over again....on our next visit.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Mammoth campground can easily hold the OP’s rig but no water or electricity. It is also a no reservation campground. If you are coming for the animals, it makes a great place to stay since you are closer to the wildlife Mecca of Lamar Valley. There is a Forest Service campground 3 miles north of West Yellowstone that we enjoy - Baker’s Hole. No reaervations but big sites and many with electricity. There is a spot to fill your water tanks, but you have to drive to another campground d to dump. Beautiful spot though. If you just have to ha e water and electricity your only choices are Fishing Bridge or outside the park.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Gravel parking lot? Sites are paved.

Although we've never stayed there we have driven through a few times. (We go for the no hookup campgrounds) Even a 40' would fit on some sites. We've seen them. We've seen plenty of RV parks with 'true' parking lots - absolutely no trees or grass. Fishing Bridge is not like that.

Also, I understand that it's best to call for reservations rather than doing it online.

https://www.yellowstonenationalparkl...ridge-rv-park/
I guess our viewpoint of "space" is a bit different. I don't particularly care to see what my "neighbor" is doing in their RV at all times. Vehicle parking is jammed in front or anyway you can get it to fit in the site, or in another area you walk to. Having walked the CG this past August, the road around the CG is mostly paved, but the sites are not and there is a lot of gravel in the CG. That's what nice about this site - you do get different viewpoints and that does help in making a decision. Me - you could not pay me to stay in FB CG due to how congested it is, but that's me.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:32 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We were in Yellowstone this past summer. We stayed at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone. It is about 1 mile to the west entrance. Best park in the area to stay at. The town is a decent size and has some very nice restaurants, and shopping.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #14

The wife and I are planning to go there the first 2 weeks in September do we have to worry about it getting cold or snow ?
I see the FB closes the 2nd week of September is it because it gets too cold ?
RickyM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national, rving, yellowstone