Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #1

RVing without a plan.

We're taking a trip from Maryland to Florida to see family, we do have some plans to stay at Grayton Beach SP, however, we're generally not really sure how far we're going to be able to drive before we get tired and decide to get a transient spot.

We're going to be traveling down 95, then crossing the panhandle on i-10. I've looked into a program like Allstays, but generally when you leave the house do you have every stop planned out along the way with reservations already set?

What are some good places to overnight along 95 south in south Carolina/Georgia area?
defekticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by defekticon View Post
We're taking a trip from Maryland to Florida to see family, we do have some plans to stay at Grayton Beach SP, however, we're generally not really sure how far we're going to be able to drive before we get tired and decide to get a transient spot.

We're going to be traveling down 95, then crossing the panhandle on i-10. I've looked into a program like Allstays, but generally when you leave the house do you have every stop planned out along the way with reservations already set?

What are some good places to overnight along 95 south in south Carolina/Georgia area?
Many people, including my DW and I plan as we go using iPad apps like Allstays, etc to locate a spot for the night. We have overnighted in Wal-Marts as well as truck stops, Pilot/Flying J, etc. if we get too tired and want to just stop and rest for the evening. The only time we make a reservation is at our destination or if the area we plan to stay is a high tourist area where you need to plan way ahead to get a spot.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Many people, including my DW and I plan as we go using iPad apps like Allstays, etc to locate a spot for the night. We have overnighted in Wal-Marts as well as truck stops, Pilot/Flying J, etc. if we get too tired and want to just stop and rest for the evening. The only time we make a reservation is at our destination or if the area we plan to stay is a high tourist area where you need to plan way ahead to get a spot.
Jack and Karen

We do pretty much the same as you, (but without iPad apps or advance reservations).
We go were we want to, stop and see what we want to, overnight where we want to and camp when and when wherever we want to.
We've had no problems "flying by the seat of our pants" for 3-4 winter months every year, (since I retired 11 years ago).
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles, (mine for 14 years),
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #4

We never make reservations unless we have to be at a certain place at a specific time for some reason. We're going on a 2-3 month trip west in a couple of weeks and we have no reservations, and very seldom have ever had a problem finding a place to stay. We like to travel at our own pace without having to be someplace on a given date or time. When we took our first long RV trip 18 years ago, we made reservations, and in almost every instance we would have liked to stay in an area for both a longer and a shorter time period. Since that time, no reservations. We do a lot of traveling, but little camping. That's why we have always owned a self contained motorhome.

As far as a place to stay on I-95 for an overnight stop, there is a Sam's Club at the airport exit in Savannah. There is also a Walmart at the same exit, but we prefer Sam's Club because it is quieter and no big trucks to contend with. We stay there on almost every trip to and from Florida from NC, our last stop there was two months ago.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #5

We seldom make reservations during our travels with the exception of our destination campground. We like others typically Walmart during our travels however when we went to Florida this past February we stayed overnight at the Costal GA rv Resort. We liked it so much we stayed there on our return home. It's 2 minutes off of 95...very convenient. I would call them sometime during the day of your arrival. By 7pm in the evening they are booked solid.

Coastal GA RV Resort - Welcome Home

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

As mentioned above, we almost never have reservations... except sometimes at our "destination"... or in the event of a holiday weekend if we're traveling.
We'd usually like to be off of the road by 4pm and DW would just find a place on RV ParkReviews.com and might or might not call them when we were about an hour out.

We never boon dock, WalMart or otherwise and I can only remember one time having to drive 50 miles farther than I would have liked to find a spot... and that was a local "holiday" we weren't aware of. Some kind of Western Days in Wyoming I believe.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #7

All good info, unfortunately we're not self contained, so docking in a walmart parking lot would be problematic in the southeast during July. I like the idea of being spontaneous in our routes/plans.

RickO - that's great advice, I think I'm going to adopt that mentality to just "be off the road" by 4pm. Wherever we estimate we'll be by 4pm we'll just call ahead and see if we can get a spot.
defekticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #8

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

My idea of a Good Day of driving is not tostart before 10 AM and stop before 2 PM.
Reservations almost a must on holiday weekends.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:26 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Exit 58 on I95 in Ga. you will find Harmony Lake RV park, Easy on/off interstate, small family run campground nothing fancy but very adequate for an overnight. It's our normal stop on the way north.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:31 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
X2 on Coastal Ga. Nice overnight place.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:23 AM   #11

We have spent the night in the parking lot of the visitors center at the historic area of Savannah for $7.00. You are then in easy walking distance of all the fabulous sites and restaurants... The Old Pink House is our favorite. You don't need reservations to eat in the cellar and it is lit with candles... Very romantic! Ask to have the table in the old vault...really cool... then finish the evening with a fun ghost tour. If you don't want to walk, there are plenty of pedi-cabs to bring you back to he visitors center operated by students from the Savannah School of Arts and Design. They operate from tips only and no set price.
awheaton56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #12

We tend to make reservations at our "desired stops" during our annual summer trip. We travel with a large family and can only spend 30 days on the road. The entire trip is planned before we leave, but we leave free days throughout in case we like or dislike a spot. We are also traveling during the busy season and are hitting the top vacation spots. We try to stay away from overpriced RV resorts and stay at state or federal campgrounds.
Knagy2688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving