Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 03:59 PM   #1

Safe Rest Stops on Highway 99 north of Bakersfield, CA?

Hello, semi-newbies making a trip in July from San Diego to Grants Pass, OR. We usually deadhead with two drivers in a car, but this time we are taking our 31-foot 5th wheel toy hauler and RZR (so we can hit the ocean dunes near Coos Bay) and our 4-legged travel companion so a straight-through drive will not be safely possible. We are going to be leaving San Diego after a day at work and need somewhere safe to park overnight (probably from midnight or so to 6 or 7 a.m.) -- we think it's too late to pull into a park (but we are willing to pay for a spot if late arrivals are permitted) and we're not sure a regular rest stop would be a safe place to stop to actually sleep for a few hours. Any suggestions or recommendations for the stretch of highway anywhere north of Bakersfield? We usually camp in our local deserts or the Colorado River near Yuma but as youngsters of 50 we are inexperienced RV-ing to any other locations. Any input about the safety of sleeping at a rest stop or a late arrival at a park would be appreciated.
WEwarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm assuming your either coming up I-5 to 99 or I-15 to 395 to 58 to 99. If it were me, I would take the latter but would stop at the Love's in Tehachapi. North of Bakersfield is farm country with lots and lots of transients .... I would not feel safe stopping during those hours anywhere in that area.

If your coming up I-5... why not just stay on I-5? Call some rv parks and explain reason for late arrival...some have overnight parking available.

I'm also assuming your time limited and can't afford an extra night on the road. If this isn't the case, make reservations so that you can pull in around 6pm and leave around 6am.

Sorry, can't be of a more positive reply for you.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #3

WalMart is your friend in this instance. Check on this site for WalMarts along the way. Give them a call and see if they allow RVing overnight. If they do, park on the outskirts of the lot, preferable with your slides over the grass/rock area in case you need to open them. Go in a pick up a rotissariere chicken from the deli and have a good night!

http://http://www.walmartlocator.com/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:38 PM   #4

Thank you both for your input! I think we may opt for a Flying J truck stop that allows RV parking or a Wal Mart - it truly is just to rest - San Diego to Grants Pass can certainly be done in a day but not after working 8 hours :-)
WEwarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #5

We recently stayed overnight at the Super WalMart in Atwater (Just north of Merced (on the 99). Felt perfectly safe.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:15 PM   #6

Flying J , junction of I-5 and 12 , just west of Lodi. RV parking and fuel lanes , Denny's for breakfast.
We avoid 99 because of the amount of merging traffic.
If we're too tired to make it to the spot , we've stayed overnight in several rest stops along the route, up to that point with no issues .
Any where from Buttonwillow north , over the years I've been in them all.
From the junction of I-5 /12 , my next stop is Canyonville. north of Grants pass.
When I towed a 5er on the I-5 , my only issue was fuel range , even though the truck got it's best mileage at 55 towing I had to find fuel often , and there are a few areas along there with distance between stations.