Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 06:19 AM   #29

Eat at Santa Maria and feed the fish while you eat! Second the rec of buying the three day trolley pass - doesn't matter which company.
GeoffYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffYoung View Post
Eat at Santa Maria and feed the fish while you eat! Second the rec of buying the three day trolley pass - doesn't matter which company.
I just have to say this... feed the fish as the food isn't fit for humans.... so many better places to go.
I see that the restaurant has been recently sold to OC Whites , so that should be a great improvement once they get it refurbished and under control.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Santa Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I just have to say this... feed the fish as the food isn't fit for humans.... so many better places to go.
I see that the restaurant has been recently sold to OC Whites , so that should be a great improvement once they get it refurbished and under control.
In years past it was just OK. But your soooo correct, with so many great places to dine just eliminate the old Santa Maria. OC's will probably due it justice. If it's still in business Cowboy's on the intercostal waterway beachside was very good with great views of the setting sun and salt marsh.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Bryn Mawr is okay for big rigs but is not deluxe, just a place to stay.
Last week we decided to see if we could get a spot in St Augustine for Memorial Day weekend. Anastasia was full (of course) so we checked out some other places including Bryn Mawr. Not only did they have an open spot, but it was near the oceanside spots. We just got back this afternoon and we've now booked the nicest spot they have oceanside for our end of the summer long weekend, originally had Anastasia, but we're canceling that. We've also booked Memorial Day for next yearBeing able to walk out of your coach and be on the beach in 5 minutes is just fantastic. Not all the spots at this place are great. Its a co-op where the spots are privately owned. The size and condition of the spots varies quite a bit. And it is pricey. But if you're there for the beach, it is unbeatable. You still have the best of St Augustine (local restaurants on A1A, all the Old City attractions, the Fort etc).

The sites can be pretty tight. We saw a 5th wheel have to give up on a site (they ended up at a nicer oceanside spot than we had!). The staff seemed pretty friendly. They have two nice pools, a large family pool up front and a smaller adults only pool. The rest rooms I were in seemed pretty clean. The ones my wife went to maybe not so much. But the place was packed for the holiday. Everyone was friendly to us. The Park Models (prefab trailers dropped on sites) seemed pretty new for the most part. Most are available for rent.

We love Anastasia, but 30 Amp service only and no sewer make it more attractive for the cooler months and short stays.

There were several other RV parks on the opposite side of A1A that looked nice, but you'd still have to drive (I assume) over to the beach.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #33

I think the best place to camp is Beverley Beach Campland, about 25 miles south of St. Augustine on A1A. The campground is directly on the ocean and very clean. Kind of a big parking lot but the sea makes up for it.

Most of the restaurants in St. Augustine are mediocre and some of those highest rated by tourists serve frozen shrimp and fish, despite the local abundance of the fresh stuff. The town is full of kitschy tourist traps and IMO the only things worth seeing are the Castillo (where I work as an NPS volunteer), the mission of Nombre de Dios, the Flagler era architecture and the Alligator Farm. The Alligator farm is of historical interest as one of the few remaining Mom and Pop tourist attractions--a look back at Florida tourism before Disney and big money changed it.

Note that the old Marineland is on A1A between Beverley Beach and St. Augustine, as is Matanzas Inlet and Fort Matanzas; it was north of the inlet in the dunes that Pedro Menendez, the founder of St. Augustine, destroyed several hundred French pirates in 1565.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:56 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menendez View Post
I think the best place to camp is Beverley Beach Campland, about 25 miles south of St. Augustine on A1A. The campground is directly on the ocean and very clean. Kind of a big parking lot but the sea makes up for it.

Most of the restaurants in St. Augustine are mediocre and some of those highest rated by tourists serve frozen shrimp and fish, despite the local abundance of the fresh stuff. The town is full of kitschy tourist traps and IMO the only things worth seeing are the Castillo (where I work as an NPS volunteer), the mission of Nombre de Dios, the Flagler era architecture and the Alligator Farm. The Alligator farm is of historical interest as one of the few remaining Mom and Pop tourist attractions--a look back at Florida tourism before Disney and big money changed it.

Note that the old Marineland is on A1A between Beverley Beach and St. Augustine, as is Matanzas Inlet and Fort Matanzas; it was north of the inlet in the dunes that Pedro Menendez, the founder of St. Augustine, destroyed several hundred French pirates in 1565.
Wow, Beverly Beach Campground is proud of thier sites! That place makes Fort Wilderness look cheap. But you are right there on the beach, aren't you? Since I can never seem to get a reservation at Gamble Rodgers in Flagler I'll definitely be checking that place out.

We love the Castillo. It must be neat to volunteer there. Have not been to the Alligator farm in years. They still had Gomek, the monster croc the last time I was there. Always wondered if he was really alive because I'd never seen him move.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGene7001 View Post
Bryn Mawr resort is very nice. Its on the beach, very clean. It is pricey, however
IMO it's worth the money.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:37 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
FYI we'll be checking out Bryn Mawr this coming Thursday and Friday. We own a tag chassis so we'll post on its big rig friendly character or not. Can't wait to chow down on Osteen's fried shrimp!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:03 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Speaking of St. Augustine, isn't there a state park about 15 miles S. of there that has a pretty sketchy 1.5 mile shell/sand access road to it? Has anyone actually driven down that road as I'm towing a custom trike in a tow boot behind for a visit to the area in late June... wonder if I'm nuts for attempting it so looking for experienced input.
denforent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:22 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
FYI we'll be checking out Bryn Mawr this coming Thursday and Friday. We own a tag chassis so we'll post on its big rig friendly character or not. Can't wait to chow down on Osteen's fried shrimp!!
What spot do you have? We just left and I can give you some insight as to how you'll fit. We were in spot 216 which was nice. 130 is probably the nicest spot there.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:25 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
What spot do you have? We just left and I can give you some insight as to how you'll fit. We were in spot 216 which was nice. 130 is probably the nicest spot there.
Whoops, spot 230, not 130.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:30 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by denforent View Post
Speaking of St. Augustine, isn't there a state park about 15 miles S. of there that has a pretty sketchy 1.5 mile shell/sand access road to it? Has anyone actually driven down that road as I'm towing a custom trike in a tow boot behind for a visit to the area in late June... wonder if I'm nuts for attempting it so looking for experienced input.
There are several state parks near there. Anastasia is pretty nice and very close by. Favre Dykes is near to 95 and not near the beach (I've never been there) and then there is Tomoka which is probably closer to New Symerna/Daytona than St Augustine.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #41

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by denforent View Post
Well if you are talking about Faver Dykes I can tell you it is a relatively small park with that real old Florida scrub setting. The road going in was not bad that I can recall maybe a little dusty but no potholes when I was there. There is only one loop in the campground and the sites are mostly small with lots of brush, palmettos and oak trees. In fact the site we were on had a nice size oak tree right in the middle of the site! I had a 32" fifth wheel at the time and it took a lot of maneuvering to get into, in fact the palm tree across the trail was heavily scarred from others trying to get into it. I wouldn't try that park with anything over 30 feet no matter what the park lists.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:35 AM   #42

My family and I will be arriving at Bryn Mawr this weekend. We will be staying in site 154 in a motorhome, my sister and her family will be in one of the rentals in 165. Looking forward to some beach time and some big ole margaritas! This will be our first time in St. Augustine. I've heard there is a pretty cool ghost tour. Want to check that out!
ChrisW0614 is offline   Reply With Quote