Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #1

salt lake to indiana bound

we are headed to Elkhart Indiana from salt lake city today...we have about 5 days to kill before having to be in Elkhart by the 12th of October. any ideas as where to go or hold up for a few days on the way out?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp5151 View Post
we are headed to Elkhart Indiana from salt lake city today...we have about 5 days to kill before having to be in Elkhart by the 12th of October. any ideas as where to go or hold up for a few days on the way out?
Covered Bridge Festival in Park County western Indiana. Starts on the 11 th. of October You would be 200 mile South of Elkhart. There's an RV park in Bridgeton that we stay at for 10 days during the festival. My guess is there will be a few spots available. Mostly venders use the park. A few of us are not venders just food testers. Ha

The three main areas are Rockville, Bridgeton and Mansville Indiana . Lots of antiques & crafts and the big thing FOOD!!! Every kind of food that is bad for you. Lol

Old 09-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you like trains this place is right on I80 in North Platte, Nebraska.

There is a nice campground near the interstate.

Bailey Yard

The Iowa 80 truckstop is neat too.

Iowa 80 Truckstop - World's Largest Truckstop!

My wife just loves all the neat places I take her...........................
Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #4

Kalona Iowa. Is an Amish community. City park there $18 per night. The city has a bus that gives a 4 hour tour of the community. Stops at 3 or 4 locations.

30 mile North of Kalona is Amana Colonies. Was at one time a group of German Separatist. They disband in 1933 but still own 27,000 acre and run it as a corporation. Several shops & food places in the town of Amana. Also an RV park in Amana. Just North of town. This is probably worth a 1/2 day stop

Amana is 6 mile North of I 80 at the 225 mile marker I think. Kalona is the next exit East and then 25 mile south.

After you cross the Mississippi you can take the small roads. On either side of the river is the Mississippi road trip road. Roads starts in Minnesota I think goes to New Orleans. Just travels near the river thru the small towns. Many of the town have walkways and parks near the river you can stop at watch the tug boats moving the barges along.

Follow the river road north to I 90 then East thru Chicago on to Elkhart. Going thru Chicago is a trip all by its self. Lol. U can plan on plenty of road repairs up there.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
If you like to hike trails, over 400 acres of them, there is a real nice RV park about 15 miles North of Davenport, Iowa. Large spots, full hookups $20. If you are a senior, $19. We go there often and will be there in October. Not sure what dates yet. I will provide instructions if you are interested.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #6

If going to Indiana you might be interested in this thread;

Indiana bans class A from truck diesel pumps
Old 09-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Elkhart area

You can spend the better part of a day in Auburn IN, not far to the east of Elkhart. The best auto museum in the country is there, at the origina factory for the Dusenberg, Cord, and Auburn classics.

There is a good campground just off the Interstate 65 there as well.

A do not miss experience if you appreciate classic autos and automotive history.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:50 AM   #8

I would stop in moline IL the john deere headquarters and combine plant is awesome to see they have free tours but you do have to schedule but definetly very cool
Old 10-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewag View Post
If you like to hike trails, over 400 acres of them, there is a real nice RV park about 15 miles North of Davenport, Iowa. Large spots, full hookups $20. If you are a senior, $19. We go there often and will be there in October. Not sure what dates yet. I will provide instructions if you are interested.
What is the name of the RV park?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Scott County Park. From I80 take 61 North, then exit at Eldridge. Turn right head East to 4 way stop, turn left. About 4 miles you will see a Large sign on the right for Scott County Park. Turn right, about 1 mile you will see the enterence on left. Bald Eagle is the camping area you want.

kewag is offline   Reply With Quote