Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
Salt Lake to Sequioa National

Leaving HBG Pa Aug 8 staying at Salt Lake over labor day . Heading to Sequioa National park . Looks like Reno area would be jump off to Sequioa. Not sure best way or where to stay once there. First time for big trip retiring in July so no time limits.

Any suggestions?

HOTICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you use Google Maps, directions from Salt Lake City to Sequoia NP, it's a little shorter to go I-15 through Las Vegas to Bakersfield, CA then north. The only way into Sequoia is from the west, no roads over the Sierra Nevada Mtns from U.S. 395, the N-S highway west of Death Valley NP.

From Reno, NV you'd have to continue west on I-80 to Sacramento, CA then south.

Since you said you're retired and time isn't an issue, pick the route that has places you'd like to see and camp; there's no direct route. Since it will be August, consider the weather, it's pretty warm in many of those places, that would be a factor in my travels in those areas at that time of year.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
I usually recommend staying outside of both Yosemite & Seqouia, using a dinghy to visit them. Looks like your coach is a 28'er. We visited both parks in a 26'er without a dinghy a couple of decades back without reservations & had no problems. Reservations at the park campgrounds seem to be done way ahead of time by most people, but you are coming in after the summer season. Perhaps others with more experience in this area can provide insight. Seqouia is spectacular. (We always lunch at the lodge.). But there is a tremendous amount to see between there & Reno. Yosemite. Tahoe. Donner Pass. (A great place for a quick meal. Sorry.) A beautiful drive, doable in a motorhome if you really want to give it a workout, is Tioga Pass from 395 over the Sierra. If you head down 395 then come around through Bakersfield, the June Lake loop, Mammoth, & Lone Pine are great places to visit. I find the Eastern Sierra just gorgeous. As suggested, if you have the time, take it. We stayed at Sparks Marina RV, our last visit to the Reno area. If you aren't familiar with the various RV park review sites to help in your travels, these are the ones I use. rvparkreviews, campendium, rvparky (that's an app), tripadvisor & yelp. These will really help zero in on the experience you want. And finally. If you haven't been to Yosemite, it's a must. Two main ways in. Coming up from Fresno, you'll have more of a climb. You'll go through a tunnel. Very carefully cross the traffic to the the pullout vista point. This lets you see the geology that makes Yosemite so special. If you want to venture on to nearby Hetch Hetchy, you can see what Yosemite would look like as a lake.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Thanks for the suggestions. Never been to the west coast , not really sure what to expect. Especially drivining a gasser in the mountains or how far ahead if at all do I make reservations. Already took care of the Badlands,Yellowstone and Grand Tetons . Hopefully I can book as I go the rest of the trip.

Thanks again
Ed & Sue
14 Vista 27N- CRV 2011
Just Getting Started
HOTICE is offline   Reply With Quote