RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #1

Salt, Sand, Motorhomes

I'm thinking of heading to the Texas Gulf Coast, specifically to the Galveston Island State Campground which is adjacent to the beach. What advice can you give me about salt and sand? While this campground has pads and hookups, will sand get into the slide and what about the salt in the air?

tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
I'm thinking of heading to the Texas Gulf Coast, specifically to the Galveston Island State Campground which is adjacent to the beach. What advice can you give me about salt and sand? While this campground has pads and hookups, will sand get into the slide and what about the salt in the air?
Salt and sand are not usually a good thing for any vehicles. The beach CG sites look nice and tempting but I wouldn't stay parked there for long.

A complete washing/detailing might be in order.

You could try putting Zinc tabs on your prop shaft, or bumper

FirstRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

My MH spends about 6 months of the year on the gulf coast. There is a big difference between being 100 yds of the beach and a half mile where we stay. I go to the local marine supply and buy anti corrosion spray for the jacks and any rust I see underneath. A lot of people use WD-40. I try to rinse everything with a water hose about once a week, even underneath. I also keep a bottle of naval jelly with an artist brush and treat any screw heads that I see starting to rust, I have found that the screw heads around the storage bays are the first to show signs of corrosion.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #4

Sand will get everywhere the wind blows. You will track sand into your RV. If you have a dog and take it to the beach you will have sand everywhere it goes. Be prepared to rinse or wash it when you get home.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:34 PM   #5

We were just there in June. It is a great park, but be aware that the Gulf side RV sites do not have sewage hookups. The dump station is fairly close and easy to navigate.

The sand wasn't really an issue for us. We have a large woven rug that goes down, and then a welcome mat in front of the steps. No issue with sand grinding in either of our two slides on our motor home. The salt air did do a number on our windshield though. I recommend hosing the windshield off and using your bug scraper/squeegee to clean the windows before departing.

Are the Gulf-side sites open again? I thought that I had seen pictures of massive damage to the structures from hurricane Harvey. We were in the first loop with the new bath house. It was fantastic. We really liked that park over the Mustang Island State Park. The sites were big enough (not large though) and access to the beach through a cut in the dunes was easy enough.

Check out Moody Gardens while there, and there are plenty of interesting things to do on the strand. My favorite is the train museum.

Here is a link to some of the damage done to Texas State Parks.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes