Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Dianne and I are heading to San Antonio, TX tomorrow. Anybody know of a nice campground and what to see while there ? We are now at Crystal Beach, Tx and would also like to know the best way to get there? I have heard a lot of people tell me to stay out of Houston due to traffic conditions.
Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Dianne and I are heading to San Antonio, TX tomorrow. Anybody know of a nice campground and what to see while there ? We are now at Crystal Beach, Tx and would also like to know the best way to get there? I have heard a lot of people tell me to stay out of Houston due to traffic conditions.
Tom

Old 04-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Well I will second the stay away from the Houston traffic nightmare...

As far as campgrounds go..... Well....

I stayed at the KOA there last year when I went to a business conf. there. It was a nice campground but as with all KOA's a little pricey.

There is a city bus stop right at the campground that cost a WHOLE $2.00 a head that takes ya all over San Antone. That was right handy for me. I was told to park "Lil Red" downtown would cost me ten times that amount.

Now if ya want to stay out of town a way the campground we stayed at for the 2004 National was nice too.

I am gonna link this to the South Central forum so you will get more replies from my Texas buddies.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Don,I can't find the 2004 rally,where was it and how far from San Antonio? thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's because as Don gets a little older he often gets off a few years in when things happened!

He was referring to Alamo Fiesta RV Park in Boerne TX. 'Bout 14 miles out IH10 from San Antonio.

San Antonio has the Alamo, Sea world, Fiesta Texas, Brand new Ripley's Believe It or Not (largest in the world), new Hemisfair Park downtown, just to name a few things. Just check in with the Visitor's bureau.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Lol Thanks,I thought that was the one he was referring to.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tom,

I've gone around Houston on the Sam Houston Expressway (toll road) and right through downtown on I-10. Next trip I'll stay right on I-10 again. No problems encountered. Slowest traffic was on the west side around where the expressway intersects with I-10.

Check out Blazing Star on the 1604 loop in San Antonio. It is only a couple blocks from Sea World on the west side town. In my opinion, it is the best cg in San Antonio. If you camp there, pick up 1604 loop on the EAST side of San Antonio. You do not want to take your rig on I-10 thru downtown San Antonio, even though I believe they have completed the construction there.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:25 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Last April we stayed at The Admirality RV Resort. Found it to be a well run RV park.

It is on the NW side of town, off of the 1604 Loop - only a couple blocks from Sea World.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ruppr:
That's because as Don gets a little older he often gets off a few years in when things happened!

He was referring to Alamo Fiesta RV Park in Boerne TX. 'Bout 14 miles out IH10 from San Antonio.

Best, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, and Bob tells me it gets WORSE....

Bob is what I consider the "Expert" of the area as he lives there. (Well Kristi is actually the brains of the family )
Old 04-15-2008, 05:40 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Diane and Tom -

All the suggested places on this thread are definitely the best in the immediate San Antonio area. Those on the west side of town: Admiralty, Blazing Star and further out (about 10-15 minutes) Alamo Fiesta - any of these are close promixity to all of the finest attractions San Antonio has to offer AND they are close to all the Hill Country attractions as well for day trips, etc.

Keep us posted on your travels and if you need anything at all, just holler! There's a whole group of Tx Boomers right in that area that can help!

Sandy
Texas and Boomers - we just naturally go together
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:11 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks,appreciate everyones help.May be giving ya'll a holler again!
Old 04-16-2008, 03:48 AM   #12
paz

In addition to campground info, you also asked about what to see in the San Antonio area. Your OP says you are already on your way; but hopefully, you will find an internet connection along the way and see my suggestions below.

There is always the obvious Alamo and River Walk in San Antonio and the bluebonnets (which should be about at their peak right now) in the surrounding Hill Country. Ask around the campground for the best places to see the wildflowers near where you are staying. You may also want to check out the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredricksburg. Also near Fredricksburg is Enchanted Rock, which is a red rock dome that rises 425' above the surrounding landscape. You can hike to the top. While you're driving around looking at wild flowers, take a drive through the quaint town of Gruene.

Have a great trip. This is an excellent time of the year to be in that area.

Edit: Corrected spelling
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:12 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The bluebonnet crop is pretty sad this year. The Hill Country had a dry winter, unfortunately. It's probably still worth doing, but you won't see as many as you normally would.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Paz,we are in San Antonio and have WIFI,thanks for your suggestions,will check out the places you mentioned. Probably won't be downtown SA too long,rode through last night and it was still crowded and Tom isn't much for shopping!

Dianne