Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
San Antonio to Harrisburg PA in April

Got to go for a nieces wedding. If I have to go I am going at my own pace.

The real question is what route to take. Google maps wants me to go to Slidell Louisiana on i10 then up i59. My comfort zone is 62mph so I am not sure the long haul on i10 does me any good. How about San Antonio to Shreveport on state highways? Other than slowing down in small towns any other disadvantages?
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
Got to go for a nieces wedding. If I have to go I am going at my own pace.

The real question is what route to take. Google maps wants me to go to Slidell Louisiana on i10 then up i59. My comfort zone is 62mph so I am not sure the long haul on i10 does me any good. How about San Antonio to Shreveport on state highways? Other than slowing down in small towns any other disadvantages?
If retired, or have the time, I would take the state 2 lane roads the whole way, wonderful sightseeing........
When I retire, I will all but be done traveling the interstates...........back roads are for the most part a lot smoother, due to no truck traffic.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:27 PM   #3

Go for the state and US highway's the whole way except.......Do not take US 30 from Breezwood PA toward Chambersburg. There is one, and I mean one pain in the neck grade there. And this comes from the Gal who drove the Powder River Pass!!.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Monty,

Recently used 59 both north and south since we were just in Louisiana for the holidays. Over the past year work has been completed on 59 and it is now a good drive. At the end of 59north you can take 75 north to 40 through Knoxville and then 81 north all the way to Harrisburg.

We find around Knoxville to be a great half way stop, all kinds of campgrounds off of 40.

Best of luck to you, it is a beautiful drive.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
If retired, or have the time, I would take the state 2 lane roads the whole way, wonderful sightseeing........
When I retire, I will all but be done traveling the interstates...........back roads are for the most part a lot smoother, due to no truck traffic.
I am not retired, but I do have every other friday off (flexible work schedule) and ample leave built up. I can usually build a trip around my three day weekend and only have to use a few days leave for a 10 day trip.

If I look at the total miles driven by the interstate route and the total mile driven on state highways, It will take me the same amount of time to drive the same distance as I will never go 75 mph on the interstates.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:29 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
Go for the state and US highway's the whole way except.......Do not take US 30 from Breezwood PA toward Chambersburg. There is one, and I mean one pain in the neck grade there. And this comes from the Gal who drove the Powder River Pass!!.
Great to know, and I will save that info with my route.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNJ View Post
Monty,

Recently used 59 both north and south since we were just in Louisiana for the holidays. Over the past year work has been completed on 59 and it is now a good drive. At the end of 59north you can take 75 north to 40 through Knoxville and then 81 north all the way to Harrisburg.

We find around Knoxville to be a great half way stop, all kinds of campgrounds off of 40.

Best of luck to you, it is a beautiful drive.
Thank you.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #8

Can't help you with the route but can give you a good tip for camping in the Harrisburg vicinity. Twin Grove Park, New Ringold , PA.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #9

Twin Grove is a good campground north of Harrisburg, but in Pine Grove Pa . I'll be coming up from San Antonio this fall, watching to see what suggestions you get.
HOTICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:11 PM   #10

You are correct.... my mistake. It's a great campground!
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #11

We've gone from Kerrville to central MD several times.... Don't remember all the road Nos. This is a good route. Good camping places along the way. PM me if you and we'll remember the good ones. Roads were OK 2 years ago except I30W between Little Rock and Texarkana. You can make a steady 62-65. We make good 320-360ish miles a day. Takes at least 3.5 days.

SA>I35>Waco>Tyler>Texarkana> Little Rock>Memphis>Knoxville>Bristol>Wytheville>Roanoke> Harrisonburg>Hagerstown>Frederick>Gettysburg>Harri sburg.

Depending on when you are expecting to travel.....I'd keep a close eye on the weather. April should be OK....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote