Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
San Antonio to Vancouver, WA end of June

2005 Discovery with two roof ACs and diesel generator.

Have trip planned to see in-laws over 4th of July. I was really looking forward to getting north to beat the heat. Google maps sends us through Albuquerque, Salt Lake, and Boise and down the Columbia River Gorge to Portland. We bought our coach in November so we haven't been through a real hot spell with it yet. ACs seem to do fine, but not sure how it will do going down the road.

Now DW wants to pick up SIL in San Francisco on the way up. I bargained for Reno (SIL can park there and we can take her the rest of the way). Google maps sends us down I-10 and through Las Vegas, then up western Nevada (Beatty, Carson City, Reno), before going into northern CA and Oregon.

Driving through Vegas and western NV sounds really hot in June/July. One good thing is we could do the first night at Cattleman's Steakhouse outside El Paso.

So what do you all think about the weather, mountain passes, etc?

2005 Discovery 39s Cat C7 330hp, AF1 brakes,
2013 Silverado Crew Cab Toad, Blue Ox Towbar
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #2

I really like the Cattlemen's steakhouse in Fabens. I used to have to travel to El Paso and almost always had at least one dinner there. I wouldn't hesitate to take the route you have mentioned - yep, could be hot or will be hot but that goes with the turf. My first thought is if your RV has a rear radiator make sure it's clean. Out of Reno we most often head up 395 to Susanville then over to I-5 via 44 & 89. Sounds like a great trip.

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
It will likely be hot that time of year until you get to Oregon, and it could still be hot there. I have been in Portland when it was 100.

I have covered most of your route at one time or another and don't foresee any problems for you. We recently did Seattle to Tucson with our 35' gas plus toad through Reno. North of Reno, stay on 395 to Alturas. We took a more westerly route that was awful.

Unless you want to visit Los Vegas, stay on 10 or 40, until you catch 395 north. There are some great stops along the route such as London Bridge, Oatman, parts of Route 66. Lots of places to visit in Albequerque as well.
coupevilleDF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks cider and coupe. Looking forward to the trip
2005 Discovery 39s Cat C7 330hp, AF1 brakes,
2013 Silverado Crew Cab Toad, Blue Ox Towbar
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
At that time of year the Gen and AC Will be working but should keep you comfortable. I would head for the higher country of Az ASAP then over to I5 where the coast route should be cooler plus you could pickup your ride at Bakersfeild. There will be RV parks along the route for AC over night without the Gen.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Most likely it will be pretty hot in Vancouver around July 4th.... If you want to escape the heat in Washington in the summer, you will need to get up into the mountains. Or at least higher elevation.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:13 PM   #7
iRV2 No Limits Club
A few days of 100 weather every year and people are worried about it being too hot?

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote