Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2012, 02:40 AM   #1

san diego

We are planning to go to San Diego and would like to park somewhere safe and take public transportation? We are in Julian, Ca and would like to take a day trip. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2012, 03:00 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Not sure what your looking for but Sea Port Village is both a safe place to visit (very safe in IMHO) and right next to the San Diego Trolly which can take you all over San Diego. It is also a great place to walk, shop and eat. Parking is free if you buy something in one of the shops and get them to validate your parking stub.

CPO_Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO_Retired View Post
Not sure what your looking for but Sea Port Village is both a safe place to visit (very safe in IMHO) and right next to the San Diego Trolly which can take you all over San Diego. It is also a great place to walk, shop and eat. Parking is free if you buy something in one of the shops and get them to validate your parking stub.

I'll second this it's a great idea. San Diego is a huge place and one day is just not enough time to do very much.

Or just go to the Zoo, a whole days worth, world famous and close to Balboa Park, museums etc;
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #4

I just went to Balboa Park couple months ago, beautiful park with many museums (15 ?) And the Zoo is there too and you can board a city tour there and get off and on at different stops all over the city. San Diego is a nice city with the bay and all. If interested in Camping search Silver Strand State Beach right below Coronado, its nothing more than a parking lot with no hook ups but you can't get any closer to the beach, we've camped there many times.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #5

Sea Port Village is a good idea. Tour the USS Midway Museum, tour the Gas Light district, and see the Star of the Sea three masted ship. Much to see in between.
Balboa Park is another full day of sightseeing, with a tram that takes you to every museum and exibit. The Zoo is good for a full day of walking and bus touring. And naturally you can just spend a full day at the beach.
Happy Trails.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
I just went to Balboa Park couple months ago, beautiful park with many museums (15 ?) And the Zoo is there too and you can board a city tour there and get off and on at different stops all over the city. San Diego is a nice city with the bay and all. If interested in Camping search Silver Strand State Beach right below Coronado, its nothing more than a parking lot with no hook ups but you can't get any closer to the beach, we've camped there many times.
Thanks for the Silver Strand tip.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You're in Julian and planning a day trip to San Diego?..that's only 60 miles - to the city center, so you don't need an RV.

So, the bigger questions are what are you planning to do?
Topic can include:
The city and waterfront.
Coronado and the Strand
Balboa Park and the Zoo.
Wildlife areas and beachs.
Shopping and nightlife.
The border and sightseeing/shopping in Mexico
Sea World and Mission Bay...
...this is only a short list.

Our freinds in Julian usually come down the hill to go shopping 1-2 times a week...Julian is a destination in itself. That's were we go for day trips for Apple Pie or motorcycle rides up Palomar!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #8

Thanks everyone, I'm a city person and just want to get a lay of the land, last time I was in SD was when I visited my friend who was stationed on the Independence aircraft carrier.

Just looking for a safe place to park pick up some public transportation and explore. Silver strand tip is nice but one needs to book 7 months in advance and I couldn't tell what I'm going to do 7 hours in advance.
I think the chief gave me what I need.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #9

The earliest you can reserve a State Campground is 6 months but that doesn't mean they are sold out. Go online and look if spots are available on the dates you want to camp. On a spur of the moment we got in without reservations and stayed 4 days there about 2 months ago. It can be possible and never hurts to look.